Flite Test EZ Simple Scout.

Chunktin

Ok so I am new-ish to scratch building and so my 9 year old son has a FT EZ kit and we made the EZ Raptor and that flies good. So I wanted to make myself the FT Simple Scout so I printed it at 50% and put it together with the FT EZ kit and it will not fly at all. It is tail heavy but the motors will not even seem to get it to glide. I really wanted this to work but not sure if its just now garbage and I can only make a YAK style plane with just a "+" sign shape. Like the rest of the planes in the FT EZ kits. I have some pics and would like suggestions if you have any. I have tilted the props up as they were pointed slightly down before as they are mounted to the wing. Anyhow it looks neat. Kinda like that Toothless build that they made from How to Train a Dragon. I even removed paper to try to lighten it up. IMG_2734.jpg IMG_2733.jpg IMG_2738.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
By looking at your pics, it appears the props are on backwards. The "nipples" on the props should face forward in pusher, and tractor configurations.
Try reversing the props first. You might also need to switch them between motors for the correct rotation.

It may be tail heavy due to the configuration of the electronics/battery. With the battery in the front of the plane, forward of the board, it should balance more easily.

You can also try mounting the board in the same configuration as in this image. Battery plug forward, switch/LED down.
2020-05-28 (2).png

Last edited:

Chunktin

So do these only work in the pusher position? Like rear mounted, or can I leave them on the front and just swap the props around?

Chunktin

I lighted it up as much as I could my removing all the paper. I flipped the props around to the correct orientation and added a nickel to the nose to correct center gravity. I was able to get to it to fly about 15 feet at full throttle before it just lands from being tossed at about 5 foot up ( shoulder height). So I scraped it and we end up just making something else that flies I hope. I don’t want to make a plane that flies like the raptor where it’s always noise up. I want to make more of an actual airplane.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I lighted it up as much as I could my removing all the paper. I flipped the props around to the correct orientation and added a nickel to the nose to correct center gravity. I was able to get to it to fly about 15 feet at full throttle before it just lands from being tossed at about 5 foot up ( shoulder height). So I scraped it and we end up just making something else that flies I hope. I don’t want to make a plane that flies like the raptor where it’s always noise up. I want to make more of an actual airplane.
If your EZ Raptor is flying "nose up", something isn't right. Try adjusting the cg, and making sure it's level each time you bind. It should fly like any other EZ designed plane.

AgentC

Elite member
I've made an EZ Glider that is a bit more complicated than the Scout, but flies really nicely. The motors (same configuration as yours) are horizontal/level with the fuselage, though.

So my 2 questions are:
1. How does it fly as a chuck glider?
2. Have you tried lifting the pitch of the motors to be horizontal to the fuselage?

I've attached my latest PDF of the glider if you want to have a go making that.

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_153548.jpg
    IMG_20210519_153548.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • EZ Mini 'EZ' Glider - Version 1.5.1.pdf
    272.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: