Flite Test Forum Build-Off: 2015-2016 edition

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Somehow I missed this until just now.

Aside from the mockery I'll bring upon myself if I fail to complete it again...I don't see any reason I can't re-enter the same project I entered last year since I failed to finish in time :D

Jhitesma
From Plans
40" RV-3 by Fred Reese
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?15056-Scale-Build-Off-%96-Fred-Reese-40-quot-span-RV-3

I've actually been trying to get my build table clear enough to start making progress on it again the past few weeks already...

Edit: Whoops, apparently cutting and pasting my entry from last year was a bad idea since the link changed when my thread name changed...all fixed now.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The Build-Off is not for mockery. Its for building! I have a plane that took me 2.5 years to get to fly right. No biggie.

saiga556

Full of...
Does anybody know what this plane is? I think it would be a good subject for the build off. Reminds me of Czech Mate a Yak 11 (pictured second) which may be my second choice if I can't figure out what this is.
rheat_01.jpg
Looked up the N-Number and it is not in use.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Presten

That is a Yak 11 that was called Mr. Awesome. I believe i was modified more than that before it was ever raced. A google search will wield some further results.

saiga556

Full of...
That is a Yak 11 that was called Mr. Awesome. I believe i was modified more than that before it was ever raced. A google search will wield some further results.

Thanks. After posting this I remembered about Mr Awesome and was pretty sure that was it but wasn't sure.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
It isn't one, but that has similar lines to the Hughes H-1 Racer. Like the design. Very sleek.

smithhayward

Large Child
DO IT!!!

It isn't one, but that has similar lines to the Hughes H-1 Racer. Like the design. Very sleek.

Yeah, this is definitely a slick lookin' bird. It reminds me a little of a hot rod (I could just be delusional), with a little body and a massive motor in the front. Look forward to seeing this one!

C'mon - let's see the official entry post Saiga556! :D

Datum

2. Entries must be powered by at least one electric motor. The propulsion system of the entry need not resemble the propulsion system of the full-sized aircraft. Scale gliders are permitted and are exempt from this rule. Gliders will receive full points for propulsion by default (a strategic advantage in adjudication but comes with more difficulty in other areas).

Awww man! I already started calculations on water rocket thrust curves before I saw this :(
An Me-163 model deserves an obtuse engine system...

Gotta figure out something electric I suppose? Arcjets are electric, right?

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Many have done the Komet with a high KV motor and a small prop. This is more or less scale as the original hat a propeller on the front as an electric generator. It can be done!

Awww man! I already started calculations on water rocket thrust curves before I saw this :(
An Me-163 model deserves an obtuse engine system...

Gotta figure out something electric I suppose? Arcjets are electric, right?

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I'm gonna enter a second project to try to jump start the kit built category, if you feel it is appropriate.

Nicholas DiVitto
Kit Built
Sig 1:4 Scale Piper Cub (105")
Build Log

Maybe that will motivate me to finish it...

Last edited: