Flite Test Free Plans

desert wings

Foam Fan
Congratulations Dan!

This is great news SPONZ.
The existing FT plans contain small gaps in the lines for purposes of using them for laser cutting (prevents parts from falling out of the foam board sheet?). Will your plans maintain these small gaps or will all lines be continuous and connecting? I ask because I like to use the plans to make "skins" to replace the existing paper on the foam board allowing me to dress up the plane and quickly begin cutting without transferring the design to the foam board. This process is much easier when the lines are continuous, so that fills, and effects can be more easily applied.
http://flitetest.com/articles/foam-board-that-looks-great

FT3d.JPG

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
This is great news SPONZ.
The existing FT plans contain small gaps in the lines for purposes of using them for laser cutting (prevents parts from falling out of the foam board sheet?). Will your plans maintain these small gaps or will all lines be continuous and connecting? I ask because I like to use the plans to make "skins" to replace the existing paper on the foam board allowing me to dress up the plane and quickly begin cutting without transferring the design to the foam board. This process is much easier when the lines are continuous, so that fills, and effects can be more easily applied.
http://flitetest.com/articles/foam-board-that-looks-great

Great question. That is exactly what the gaps are for, part of the manufacturing process for the speed build kits. They do not need to be there for the scratch builders and so I do my best to make sure that all the gaps are removed. It's tedious and time consuming, but makes the most sense for the scratch builders. I've been doing this on the FT plans that I have already redrawn and will continue to do that for the new designs coming from Flite Test.

Love your graphics work desert wings!

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks, your plans are going to make scratch building more accessible to more people.

It's almost done actually.

But, that brings up a good point. My goal to redraw all the existing FT plans remains unchanged. However, this new responsibility with Flite Test will require a shift in priorities. I have a limited amount of time to devote to my hobby/passion. The new stuff for Flite Test will be the priority, and I'm already working on my first project for them. My own designs and redrawing FT and other designers plans will shift accordingly.

Gryf

This is really good news! The only time I've used your plans so far was when I built my Bloody Baron, and I was impressed from the start with the thought that had obviously gone into them. Plus, I spent the first few years of my career as a draftsman, tech illustrator, graphic artist, etc., so the new elements you included really caught my eye.

Keep up the great work!

Gryf

kdobson83

OMG, being new to this entire hobby and working on my 3rd scratch build I can safely say that your plans are AWESOME! The originals were doable as they have gotten me in the air for free but yours make it EASY. Only been doing this for a month and love how you have improved upon something so great.
Thank you sir!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
OMG, being new to this entire hobby and working on my 3rd scratch build I can safely say that your plans are AWESOME! The originals were doable as they have gotten me in the air for free but yours make it EASY. Only been doing this for a month and love how you have improved upon something so great.
Thank you sir!

You are welcome. Thanks for the kind words. Your feedback echos exactly what I have been aiming and striving for with the free plans. Welcome to the forums, we are happy to have you here.

Spastickitten

You are a cool guy SPONZ, you are getting people in the hobby with your planes and plans. I have not been able to build one of your planes, but I love the look!

gogan419

Yes, new drawings are well-suited for printing them out and cutting by hand, but not suitable for converting them into g-codes and milling on my home diy milling router. If new plans also has old version of it, just simple outlines, that would be great, thanx!