Flite Test "FT Elements" Simple Firewall and many other laser cut items

Innaviation

While scratch building a FT Explorer I discovered that you need a FT Elements board to complete the build so I went on to Flite Test store and bought one. After making this purchase I wondered if I could laser cut my own FT Elements board for future projects. So I created this thread for people to post any laser cut items for RC planes, but specifically the FT Elements board, firewalls, and the many other useful laser cut thing for RC planes.

Verris

Most of the plans contain the plywood parts as well, which you could definitely use to make your own. I haven't had to yet as I originally ordered a whole bunch of everything and have not ran out yet.

FDS

Elite member
Remember the licences for using those designs are all creative common no non commercial, so you are fine to make them for your own consumption but selling them to others will breach that licence.

rlvgates

>Sam said: So I created this thread for people to post any laser cut items for RC planes, but specifically the FT Elements board, firewalls, and the many other useful laser cut thing for RC planes.<

I'll bite. I'm scratch-building an Explorer, too, and need those same "elements". Did you make your own, and if so, how? What does it take to make up an economical laser-cutting rig?

Innaviation

So what I did personally is go to a Maker space, got some wood and used the PDF from the FT explorer then I made a ton of the FT elements firewalls and pieced them together. I don't have any experience in the laser printing/cutting space and am interested in making a laser cutting rig as well.

rlvgates

Sam: many thanks for the speedy reply! I'd never heard of Makerspace, but online search shows there's one near me in Cincinnati: https://themanufactory.us/
For $48 they'll spend 3hrs teaching me to run CorelDraw and a Rabbit Laser Cutter/Engraver. I can then buy a membership ($35/day, $140/month) and use their machinery ad libitum. That's a lot of FT Elements!!

Innaviation

Sorry for not clarifying, I mean the the library maker-space (https://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/main/makerspace.html) you can reserve up to 2 hours at a time and they have a laser cutter/engraver that you can use for free (as long as you have a library card). I live in Cincinnati and use this maker-space to cut all the parts for planes except for the foam board which is not allowed to cut at maker-space.

Nice to know a fellow RC enthusiast in Cincinnati.

rlvgates

No apology necessary.....how were you to know that we are both in Cincinnati?! Can't cut DTFB at the library space? Hmmmm.....wonder why; I'll have to explore this. Anyway.....are you a member of a local club? I am in Pleasant Ridge, and am thinking of joining the Anderson Flyers (I've no flying experience yet). Shall we go backdoor on this exchange? gates.fam "at" juno.com

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
cutting just "foam" it is very easy to catch fire. with the paper backing on the FB, it is much safer.

my makerspace is really funny about foam. if you get the right guy you are fine but others absolutely not!

laters,

me :cool:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Sorry for not clarifying, I mean the the library maker-space (https://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/main/makerspace.html) you can reserve up to 2 hours at a time and they have a laser cutter/engraver that you can use for free (as long as you have a library card). I live in Cincinnati and use this maker-space to cut all the parts for planes except for the foam board which is not allowed to cut at maker-space.

Nice to know a fellow RC enthusiast in Cincinnati.

Wow. At the public library? That's awesome.