FliteTest Reviews... The hidden costs - BEWARE!!!!

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Just wanted to post this - not sure why but felt the need to do so.

Been flying my Bat Bone for almost a year with a 3DR controller and go pro mount.
Not really a DJI fan but... Oh no... Josh and Eric had to post a review of the Inspire 1...
Both wanted to hate it (like me) but they ended up loving it and keeping it.
Watched the entire video - wow looks promising - good review.

Then they post the 1080P video. I thought to myself "WOW! THIS IS AMAZING...."

Then they post the 4K video. I was really impressed.

The next thing that happened - I can't really explain. I'm stumped. My subconscious must have taken over. Aliens... Planetary alignment... Kryptonite... Something...

An Inspire 1 is now on a UPS truck on it's way to my house. My bank account has a nice chunk taken out of it. And a big ol' smile is on my face.

You guys really should put a warning on your videos stating that "the following content may increase a reduction of savings, checking accounts, or induce the need to sell one of your kidneys on the black market".

Anyway - thanks for the review! I'll post some videos of the footage if you guys want. Also planning on bringing it to FF2015.

-David

abieex

Mentor
Very cool Dave! FPV/Multirotors are not my thing right now but who could say that thing is not totally amazing? I think the guys did a great job on the review and truly showed how awesome it is. Good luck and excited to see some video from you. Steve

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Haha, David, yeah. This hobby and FliteTest have made my life a bit of a constant internal struggle.

DaveMak #1
"This is great! I can enjoy this hobby by building cheap stuff, know how to fix things when they break, and save money in the long run!"

DaveMak #2
"Oooooh... I really need that mini APM setup Hobby King just released... and that trifecta mini tricopter... and... and... the mini DLG that Horizon Hobby just posted... and a Hobbico/Flyzone Island Wings Beaver... and... and..."

Thankfully, I'm not really that into aerial photography/video beyond what the Mobius can give me, yet... those gimbals and the sonar/optical flow sensors that are part of the Inspire is making me think that might be my next tech project on my electrohub tricopter.

earthsciteach

I feel much better about spontaneously ordering that beanie and Scout kit that arrived today! Thanks for easing my guilt! LOL!!!!!!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
It inspired me... to find a personal solution that is better, can't be grounded by FAA ruling via firmware, be an all-round better flier flying how I want it to and not it deciding how to fly, and all for a better pricetag.

Gryf

I still get a chuckle looking at how much I've spent for electronics, radios, tools, equipment, AMA membership, etc. just so I can fly $2.00 airframes. No wonder my wife rolls her eyes when I say anything about how economical it is to fly FT planes...

Gryf

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I have actually no idea how much I've spent last year on all the different tools, electronics, parts, etc. It's the small costs, not the big drone where you know exactly what you've paid...

crash bandicoot

I have to admit the aerial footage episode has helpedd me decide that I wanted a camera mountable quad for my next aircraft.
But I already have a mobius, so I am thinking a Blade 350 or 200 qx.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
I thought this was going to be a rant :) Let me know how it flys!

Got it on Monday. 3 Flights so far and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH how sweet. It's an incredible machine. I was able to take a two second exposure at night and it came out great. I'll post it when I get home from the office.

bgfireguy92

I sincerely want to thank you for this post. Because of you I was able to justify buying my DX8 and Beaver to the missus. How you ask? I showed her this post and said "I could be that guy and drop $3000 on a multirotor! All I want is a BNF plane and new radio." And poof it was okayed! You sir are my hero. LMAO

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I'm too much like Bixler. I gotta have it cheap. Like CHEAP! Haha. My girlfriend got me an EFlite Apprentice for Christmas and I was almost bummed out. I'm MUCH more worried about taking up the Apprentice and giving it rash than I am with my FT Storch.

I feel like I've been bitten by the FPV quad bug so I am putting together an 'FMR250' quad. And I'm doing it on the CHEAP! Not to the point where I think it will perform poorly but I am certainly watching my pennies.

I think the FT crew do a great job of appealing to all. I'm not offended and I don't feel left out when they do episodes about expensive planes or quads or any other toy. I know Bix is probably saying the same thing as me about it in his head. I would rather build one that I didn't feel bad about breaking later.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
It inspired me... to find a personal solution that is better, can't be grounded by FAA ruling via firmware, be an all-round better flier flying how I want it to and not it deciding how to fly, and all for a better pricetag.

I am absolutely with you on this one Epi. ;)

I have direct contact with the FAA field office some 80 miles distant (and a good relationship with the top dog there) but I don't trust the "Higher Up's in the FAA" to do anything but bad for us in the end.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Mytchak

KG5CZA
I sincerely want to thank you for this post. Because of you I was able to justify buying my DX8 and Beaver to the missus. How you ask? I showed her this post and said "I could be that guy and drop $3000 on a multirotor! All I want is a BNF plane and new radio." And poof it was okayed! You sir are my hero. LMAO

Haha! You made me laugh. Thank you very much for this post. If you're going to FF, look me up!

-David

Dale194

Well now we expect to see some video from this thing some time soon!
I just started with a few things and I was waiting for the scolding for my wife when I went from saying $10 airframes to controllers and AMA membership, but I really enjoy it and I'm not spending "too much" so she doesn't say anything.
Hopefully one of these days I'll have the resources and skill to do something cool with an Inspire, until then I'm just watching all the good videos you guys make.