foam board problem

georgelagardo

Hi everybody,

this is my first post, i am from India, and its has been my dream always to build my own RC plane, i have been always fascinating my self watching videos from YouTube and FT is my favorite on the topics how to build your own at home

The electronic part is easy to get , you can order the same online from anywhere and you get the delivery, but for FOAM it is difficult, no one seams to deliver because of size, and over here in INDIA we do not get foam boards like in Dollar Tree which are laminated,

Foam is available over here without lamination, and they are really very delicate, foam cover too is not available, so that we can use it , so my request to you , if any one can let me know cheap alternative for making the foam (we call Thermocol) strong,

i thought of
  • venial sheets which is self adhesive but it is costly,
  • plastic wraps for food is too delicate ,
  • transparent gift wraps but these does not come with self adhesive so how to attach this to the foam,
  • craft paper too need to be glued, and may be it will be heavier than the rest options

please suggest me what shall be perfect lamination which will be strong as well as light at the same time cheap alternative .

thanking you all,

George

kadon

Hi everybody,

this is my first post, i am from India, and its has been my dream always to build my own RC plane, i have been always fascinating my self watching videos from YouTube and FT is my favorite on the topics how to build your own at home

The electronic part is easy to get , you can order the same online from anywhere and you get the delivery, but for FOAM it is difficult, no one seams to deliver because of size, and over here in INDIA we do not get foam boards like in Dollar Tree which are laminated,

Foam is available over here without lamination, and they are really very delicate, foam cover too is not available, so that we can use it , so my request to you , if any one can let me know cheap alternative for making the foam (we call Thermocol) strong,

i thought of
  • venial sheets which is self adhesive but it is costly,
  • plastic wraps for food is too delicate ,
  • transparent gift wraps but these does not come with self adhesive so how to attach this to the foam,
  • craft paper too need to be glued, and may be it will be heavier than the rest options

please suggest me what shall be perfect lamination which will be strong as well as light at the same time cheap alternative .

thanking you all,

George
Hello and welcome to the forums, if the foam board that's available to you isn't laminated with anything, try using colored packing tape or regular packing tape to cover the foam board. I have been using colored packing tape on foam board for a long time. It will be much stronger then regular foam board from the dollar store. It will also be waterproof. Let me know how it goes.

skymaster

Elite member
what kind of build are you will you be trying to build? just out of curiosity and maybe we can get some ideas.

Gatormurica

If you can get your hands on it, Gorilla packing tape is a miracle worker. It is thick and strong. I know when I crash my plane and the foam board gets trashed I use it to repair my airfoil. If all you can get is cardbord, a layer of that Gorilla packing tape on the outside might go far.
There is also a way to coat cardboard which Fiberglass. Idk much about that or how heavy this will be. Just an idea tho.

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Hi and welcome to the Forum.
You can laminate with packing paper using spray glue. I do this also.
By the way, i will move to India (Hyderabad) for two years.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Have you checked with any local art supplies distributors or photo printing and framing business because they use FB here to support pictures in the framing process.

Additionally I have used 1mm Balsa to laminate with the paperless foam and the result was lighter and stronger but I used covering film to cover the project. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?32734-Balsa-Foamboard-test-build-FT-Spitfire

Finally you could build a strong framework for the structure from balsa/Plywood/Bamboo and use the unprotected foam sheet as the aircraft covering.

Have fun!

georgelagardo

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
You can laminate with packing paper using spray glue. I do this also.
By the way, i will move to India (Hyderabad) for two years.

Thanks for your reply, i will check as per your suggestion , and your are most welcome to come to India, Hyderabad is not far from my place i stay in Bangalore. :)

georgelagardo

what kind of build are you will you be trying to build? just out of curiosity and maybe we can get some ideas.

thanks for your reply, i wish to build ft explorer, i have done the cuttings on foam board but the foam is very soft and am unable to find stronger ones here where i live, :)

georgelagardo

Thanks to all who replied , i have got quite lot of inputs form all of you, i shall put into practical and see which will be cheap and easily available for me where i live, i was thinking of using thin gift wraps they come in various colors and designs too the question is how to stick them as they do not come with adhesive

any one tried this earlier please recommend me how to do it, as of now packing tape would be my last resort, i was avoiding it because of its size ,

thanks again and looking forward for more replies:)

George

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Take a look at my buildreport for the Triplane. There i use paper to cover. I think Spray glue should be available in india and slso packing paper. In Dezember I'm in Bangalore for business trip.