Foamboard F6F Hellcat

Foamboard F6F Hellcat V1

Please log in to download

Aust1n

Just out of curiosity, would this scale up easily. I’d love to make one around the 1.8 metre span size if it were possible

Apple Pie

Elite member
Just out of curiosity, would this scale up easily. I’d love to make one around the 1.8 metre span size if it were possible
I don’t see why not. You would just have to pay attention to the portions of the plans thy have a thickness to the foam and take that into consideration. Like the horizontal stabilizer mounts and wing spar mounting slots.

Niez13

Elite member
Yeah it will scale up just fine. Just pay attention to parts of the plans where the thickness of foam would change when you scale it up and it will turn out awesome.

Aust1n

Fantastic. Thanks for the reply’s I’ll start working on blowing the plans up but need to built the ft storch and my 1200 yak first but this is next on the list

danskis

Master member
@Apple Pie - I just started working on this again and I really appreciate the work flow you provided. I have a few questions. How did you make sure the wing and stab are aligned before gluing on the wing? Also, my main tail section skin ended up "long" and going into the cockpit area by about 1/2 inch. If yours did that how did you trim the skin to align with the back cockpit former?

Also wondering where you land around the lake.

Last edited:

Apple Pie

Elite member
@Apple Pie - I just started working on this again and I really appreciate the work flow you provided. I have a few questions. How did you make sure the wing and stab are aligned before gluing on the wing? Also, my main tail section skin ended up "long" and going into the cockpit area by about 1/2 inch. If yours did that how did you trim the skin to align with the back cockpit former?

Also wondering where you land around the lake.
Going from memory here so I'll do my best. For the main wing mounting I just trimmed out the main former so it could fit into place and reach the wing skins. Then I looked down the length of the plane to see if the main wing and horizontal stab were aligned. I recall having to trim a thin (1/16 or less) from one side of the fuselage skin along the upper surface of one wing to roll the main wing into alignment. This is pretty normal practice in aligning the master series wings, at least the ones I've built so far. I used a regular razor blade with no handle so I could get it quite flush to the upper wing surface and take just a skim off of the fuselage skin and then repeat as necessary.

I don't recall my main tail section skin being too long. Check out post #47 and #48 to see how mine looked.

I waterproof all of my electronics using Corrosion X (open servos and spray them, spray receiver) and silicone the ESC closed at both ends. I typically just dunk the plane near the shore as slow as possible then hang it up to dry for flying again later. The brown waterproof foam has no issues with getting wet, especially if you iron your edges and spray paint as well. I've landed on the beach before which is a terrible idea as we have magnetite in the sand which get into the motor and sticks to the permanent magnets. I've had more than one motor apart to clean out the sand. Best to waterproof everything in advance and land them all like floatplanes :)

danskis

Master member
Thanks....great story about landing in the lake I would never have guessed thats what you did to land....I live in NM...we have no water.

danskis

Master member
Test fitting the skins on F6F. I'll be making the front skin over again because I forgot to account for the grain. Well this is a challenge and I'm only finishing it because it is a challenge. I had a real difficult time with the plans until Javiester sent me his. I then had them printed full size on a plotter which helped a lot. I found that the skin on the tail, when cut to plans, was about an inch too long so I had to trim it at the cockpit. I'm also finding that the skin in front needs trimming...on the front on the bottom of the fuselage. And then there is gluing. I have no idea how I'll get either of these skins glued so that they sit right and look good. I'll watch the video again. It does look great and I can't wait to fly it.

F6F.jpg

danskis

Master member
@ZiggZagg - use the poster option in adobe acrobat and watch this video. Also, the elevator did not print correctly when I did this - YMMV - BTW the rudder will fit on one page

danskis

Master member
@ZiggZagg - I been thinking about it....I would suggest going to the print shop and printing out the full size plans for everything that doesn't fit on one or two sheets. It will make it a lot easier. Cost maybe $12.

Javiester

Elite member
@Javiester - thanks for all the help on this....como es tuyo volando?
the first wrong attempt, flew erratic and ended up against a tree, luckily with little damage
had a propeller one inch higher than recommended due to the passage of two to three blades with what I think was not picking up speed either
I wait for a calm day for a second try