Foamboard F6F Hellcat

Foamboard F6F Hellcat V1

Please log in to download

Apple Pie

Elite member
Nice job, the Corsair is a tricky build compared to many others.
As far as a hellcat paint scheme, I am aware of only two paint schemes that were used. Tricolor blue and dark navy blue. Both camouflage schemes that were used in the WWII battle of the pacific. If you google “hellcat plane paint schemes” you will see lots of examples of each.

Happy building!

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Stocked up on foam to build this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
@Apple Pie @Niez13 - just a quick question about the central frame - In the photo I assume that the channels with the Xs is either an A or B fold - whichever the formers will go on. So once folded the steps on the aft fuselage will point down - Apple pie - thanks for the walkthrough it helped. So far so good for my first MS plane
f6f frame.jpg

Apple Pie

Elite member
The spikes on the tail section point upwards. The horizontal stabilizer had corresponding slots that fit over these and locate the stabilizer in the correct position.

I don’t recall whether it is A or B, but whichever makes the box section the correct size for the formers.

danskis

Master member
The spikes on the tail section point upwards. The horizontal stabilizer had corresponding slots that fit over these and locate the stabilizer in the correct position.

I don’t recall whether it is A or B, but whichever makes the box section the correct size for the formers.
Thanks makes sense 👍

danskis

Master member
Well we'll just call this one a learning experience. :unsure: I ran into a few snags after I got the basic frame built. When taping the elevator template together the lines weren't even close so I attempted to extrapolate by lining up the hinge line. After doing that the elevator was totally asymmetrical with one side being about 3/4 of an inch longer from the centerline. So I cut it in half and picked one side and made a template with that. Elevators aren't that difficult, I've made plenty of them, so I'm wondering about the accuracy of the plan I picked to print - the 11X17 full size. Then I incorrectly glued the tail on before skinning the back of the fuselage DOH! Oh well. The tail came off with a little persuading. Definitely killing the momentum though.

Apple Pie

Elite member
Well we'll just call this one a learning experience. :unsure: I ran into a few snags after I got the basic frame built. When taping the elevator template together the lines weren't even close so I attempted to extrapolate by lining up the hinge line. After doing that the elevator was totally asymmetrical with one side being about 3/4 of an inch longer from the centerline. So I cut it in half and picked one side and made a template with that. Elevators aren't that difficult, I've made plenty of them, so I'm wondering about the accuracy of the plan I picked to print - the 11X17 full size. Then I incorrectly glued the tail on before skinning the back of the fuselage DOH! Oh well. The tail came off with a little persuading. Definitely killing the momentum though.
Not sure about the horizontal stabilizer issue. Mine cut out fine and fit perfect. I downloaded the plans to Inkscape and then cut them out with a needle cutter so not sure if there are any issues with the printing size or not.
Hang in there! It will all come together great at the end in sure. Such a beautiful bird when it’s done.

danskis

Master member
Yeah I don't think the full size 11X17 plans are accurate - I wouldn't recommend them. I'm ending up making my own skin pattern for the rear of the fuselage. We'll see how the front goes.

I'll bet you downloaded the "one sheet plan" for the needle cutter. For the next build I may do that and have the copy shop tile them. @Javiester made a suggestion for printing them and I'll take a second look at what he does.

Javiester

Elite member
If someone wants the files
to send me your email and I will send it to you
I'm crazy to be able to go out and try it
already has a cm of dust
crown-shit

Javiester

Elite member
[QUOTE = "Apple Pie, post: 572142, member: 44014"] ¿Has intentado encender el ventilador de techo a un nivel bajo para ver cómo vuela en círculo? El mío también está esperando a su doncella. Un día, supongo. Hasta entonces, seguimos construyendo más aviones ... [/ QUOTE]
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apple Pie

Elite member
Finally got to maiden my Hellcat. Flite test 2218 running 4S 2200 battery and 9x6 APC prop. Flies like a dream! I’m super happy with this model and it Is one of my favorites to fly for sure. Short video to follow shortly. Here is a pic of it along with the Corsair and B25.
A0029FD3-ECFE-4365-B63B-FB969C22CFCE.jpeg
92D4F273-1837-4918-AD05-BC660B8EB8A6.jpeg

Niez13

Elite member
Finally got to maiden my Hellcat. Flite test 2218 running 4S 2200 battery and 9x6 APC prop. Flies like a dream! I’m super happy with this model and it Is one of my favorites to fly for sure. Short video to follow shortly. Here is a pic of it along with the Corsair and B25. View attachment 171863 View attachment 171864
That is AWESOME!!! That is an amazing fleet of aircraft. I’m glad everything is working for you. Really cool to see the Hellcat flying above water. 😁