Foamboard Kadet build thread.

Wingspan.
The original is 60" I believe. Mine was to be 34" because reasons. I started on the drafting table to resize everything, but still using standard FB while reducing the plane by - what, more than 40%? - became quite a redesign. It's more like finding plans I like and deciding to build it, using those plans as a guide to design mine from the ground up.

As you guys are mad busy with this and mad fast, and the plans will be officially released shortly, I'll have to quietly bow out. The way my schedule works, buy the time I get my "mini" done there'll be a dozen of these things built already! I'll keep on with my current project and if/when I decide to build this at 34" I'll be using these awesome plans as a guide. (y)

EDIT: But it's an honor to get hold of the pre-production plans. Thank you. :)
EDIT: The original is 45" wingspan. Boy I got that one WAY off. :oops:

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Here is how she looks before I make it pretty :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Gonna give a bit of sanding and then a coat of clear before I finish the servos up. I got a little OCBD working on the transition from the canopy to the wing and quickly got out of that mode thankfully. So build went fairly decent, only have a few tweaks to my plans, and a few more parts to digitize and get to the builders. It's a 45 inch wingspan, comes in fairly light in weight and feels like a solid build overall. And I think it looks pretty cool too:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
IMG_20220221_201008819.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Mine is 46"

Mine could technically be maidened now, but I am not going to be able to make it out. My hatch isn't quite done yet.

My hatch isn't all the way ready.

In hindsight, I should have cut the back of mine down, or out like ratcheroo did. I ended up cutting the formers to clear the pod, and they malformed. I should have at least not cut the formers until after the skin was over the formers. Oh well.

I'll just take my time and get my flaperons set up, and make it look nice and pretty for the maiden.
Here are a couple different views of my hatch. I started by making a base plate to fit the inside opening between the two existing formers and then pinned the piece in place flush with the top of the fuse sides. Glue your formers to the plate making sure to not glue them to the fuse and keep them tight to the formers. then glue a side rail between the two formers you just glued in about 1/4 inch or so high on each side so that when you glue the next piece, the fuse cover, you will have something to glue it too all the way around. After the cover, if you look at one of my pics you can see there is another former on the back whose bottom matches the top of the fuse cover you just glued on and the top matches the top fuse side , make one of these and glue to the top of the cover keeping it tight to the fuse former but making sure you don't glue it to the fuse. Glue in the windshield former , and then the windshield lining it up to the top of the fuse sides. And then cap the top with a piece I am going to be sending , along with some others. Build everything in place on the plane , don't remove until its done.
IMG_20220217_212941768 (1).jpg
IMG_20220217_221505521.jpg
IMG_20220217_221438874_HDR.jpg
Hope that was clearer than mud , LOL.

Another amazing design! I was so excited to see the photo of the label on that black foam, then my excitement deflated when my searches revealed it's only available in Canada. :(
And they put the dimensions in inches, which I don't understand. Do you guys really work in inches more than centimeters? Or is it a sort of anti-US propaganda trick to show us what we can't have? (Besides plentiful lumber and fresh air.) (And inexpensive maple syrup.) :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
And they put the dimensions in inches, which I don't understand. Do you guys really work in inches more than centimeters? Or is it a sort of anti-US propaganda trick to show us what we can't have? (Besides plentiful lumber and fresh air.) (And inexpensive maple syrup.) :LOL::LOL::LOL:
LOL, I work in metric and give my dimensions here on the forum in inches, don't think about it really just figure easier for you guys south of the border.:LOL:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
And I'm pretty sure that it has to have metric dimensions labeled on goods here. Supposed to be the most predominant measurement I think, Can't remember the last time I bought something labeled in ounces, or lbs, long time ago. China.

And I'm pretty sure that it has to have metric dimensions labeled on goods here. Supposed to be the most predominant measurement I think, Can't remember the last time I bought something labeled in ounces, or lbs, long time ago. China.
In my book metric is the smart way - duh - but I won't be giving China credit for that.

JustPlaneChris

Well this inspired me to keep searching for black foam board here in the US. Not only did I find something that looks promising, but it's shipping from Uline's warehouse only about 3 hours from my house!
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...ards/Foam-Core-Board-20-x-30-Black-3-16-thick
By the time I paid shipping and tax, it worked out to a little over $4 a sheet. Not as cheap as DTFB, but if it's good stuff it'll be worth it.

Well this inspired me to keep searching for black foam board here in the US. Not only did I find something that looks promising, but it's shipping from Uline's warehouse only about 3 hours from my house!
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...ards/Foam-Core-Board-20-x-30-Black-3-16-thick
By the time I paid shipping and tax, it worked out to a little over $4 a sheet. Not as cheap as DTFB, but if it's good stuff it'll be worth it.
Cool! Let's hope it comes in light enough. Or maybe someone else has tried it and can give you grams/sheet.

JustPlaneChris

If it's not light enough for planes, it can always be used for Halloween decorations. My wife is a complete Halloween freak, so it won't go to waste. :LOL:

If it's not light enough for planes, it can always be used for Halloween decorations. My wife is a complete Halloween freak, so it won't go to waste. :LOL:
You know the numbers, right? DTFB and FTFB are 110g/sheet, and I've seen good success at stuff up to 140g/sheet.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Yes, but it's only black paper. The foam is still white, which means my diode laser won't cut it! I have a feeling it would cut the black foam, since it will cut the dark pink Foamular stuff.

Oh well. My laser will cut the paper and score the DTFB foam, which makes it super easy to finish off with a knife. I'm just lazy. :)
At Dollar Tree the black DTFB I got was black core...