Foamboard Kadet build thread.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
So I am going to post a little walk through of the hatch cover here and a couple other details.
First off here is where I placed my skewers, sorry I didn't indicate that on the plans(I will edit that). I placed a brace above where the rear one attaches and then glued the skewer in place along the brace and the back of the former, your skewer should fit tight to those two surfaces. I also added two 3/4 inch strips on each side of the wingbox and then beveled each side slightly to allow for the wing dihedral and have the wing sit a little better there
IMG_20220221_214324846_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220221_214232292.jpg

The front skewer runs tight along the backside of the former and gets glued in place there. Since the skewer is going through two layers of foam on each side and is glued to the former I think that will be plenty strong enough.

Now for the hatch, first cut a piece of foam to fit the space between the two front fuse formers and set it in place

IMG_20220222_171306430.jpg

Turn the fuse over and trace the sides of the fuse onto the foamboard.
IMG_20220222_171404944.jpg

Then trim away the width of a piece of foamboard from each side of your trace lines
IMG_20220222_181410.jpg

Pin your piece into place keeping flush with the fuse sides

IMG_20220222_172126647_HDR.jpg

Here is how I cut my formers for the hatch

IMG_20220222_181614 (1).jpg

Glue the two hatch formers into place making sure not to glue them to the fuse and keeping them tight to the fuse formers. Then glue in two siderails about 1/4 inch high or so between the formers on each side like in the picture.
IMG_20220222_174304645_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220222_173713507_HDR.jpg

Now before you attach the hatch top cover, make sure that the formers at the rear match each other and the formers on the front match each other before you attach the hatch cover. I didn't include the hatch cover in the plans as I think it will vary in size marginally between builds so here is the cover with dimensions that will have to be adjusted by you to get the fit just right.
IMG_20220222_181720.jpg

Remove the paper from one side and form a curve to match formers. Glue the cover into place one half at a time , again making sure that you don't glue anything to the fuse by mistake.
IMG_20220222_180332858.jpg

glue the windshield former into place on top of the cover tight to the fuse former and making sure that it lines up with the top of the fuse.
There is a picture earlier in this thread showing the placement of the other windshield former onto this one

IMG_20220222_180604592.jpg

Then attach your windshield lining it up to the sides and top of the former you just glued in, Remember to remove paper from back of windshield and form curve to match what is necessary, bevelling the bottom of the windshield is necessary to get a nice fit. The winshield top piece pretty much goes the same way.

IMG_20220222_181202187.jpg

And there ya have a hatch. Hope this helps .

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
CG is directly under the spar if I haven't stated so yet. Mine balances quite nicely with a 1500 3s and a 1300 4s. Didn't try the 2200 3s but theres lots of room to put it in there

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
It probably isn't Adam's Readi-Board if it's black foam. Their black fb has white foam. The weight may be different than Adam's fb, too.
I've been on the Adams site many times, even as recently as today, and they don't have black/black Readi-Board listed, that I could find, BUT, I received the Dollar Tree newsletter email today, and linked to the DT store to browse. What did I find?! R. L. Adams Readi-Board in Black/Black! I plan to pick up a few tomorrow for build/quality testing.

Last edited:

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I've been on the Adam's site many times, even as recently as today, and they don't have black/black Readi-Board listed, that I could find, BUT, I received the Dollar Tree newsletter email today, and linked to the DT store to browse. What did I find?! R. L. Adam's Readi-Board in Black/Black! I plan to pick up a few tomorrow for build/quality testing.
Awesome!

I've been on the Adams site many times, even as recently as today, and they don't have black/black Readi-Board listed, that I could find, BUT, I received the Dollar Tree newsletter email today, and linked to the DT store to browse. What did I find?! R. L. Adams Readi-Board in Black/Black! I plan to pick up a few tomorrow for build/quality testing.
We expect an update with results. (y)

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

Triple black seemed sturdier for some reason........

(y)