Foresighted and FPV goggles???

I am just getting into fpv and my current experience is using a first generation Quanum box type headset. I am ready to upgrade and put a chunk of change down,,,,,but I am hesitant until I get a major question answered. I am foresighted,,,actually it is just old eyes that need magnifying readers like 1.5's or 1.75's when I read or do computer work. When I use the headset I still have to use them ( the included frenzel screens didn't seem to work for me). If I were to go to a set of Fatsharks with the slots for corrective inserts will the right inserts work in my case? Or what are folks doing when using a headset like a Cyclops? I know there are bunches of baby boomers out there with aged eyes like mine flying fpv..... I need to hear from you as to your solutions once you upgraded in fpv eyewear. Again,,,,,I do not wear prescription glasses,,,,,just magnifying readers. I look forward to putting this issue in my rear view mirror so I can smartly make my purchase. Thanks all! ! !

Here in the UK 'reading glasses' are available quite cheaply, most goggles will allow for glasses. That may be a good route to follow? Not having goggles I can only speculate...

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I know Mr. Steele uses prescription inserts in his Fatsharks, it doesn't seem to inhibit his abilities ;)

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
If you're "foresighted" then you should know what you'll need, lol! :D

Being mostly nearsighted and requiring correction for far, I went with Rx lens inserts: https://tazrc.com/customfpx

If you require only slight magnification for reading, I would try nothing first and then the lowest power diopters to see if there's any difference. This is for goggles of course.

Fyathyrio

If still using the original fresnel lens setup, the V2 Pro upgrade kit has some awesome lenses. For about $20 you can upgrade your current setup. Even if you move on to goggles, it's a nice improvement for when you give people rides.

Try before buy when it comes to the Fatshark style, I also have a set of far-sighted aging eyes and did not like them. Luckily I got to try some before jumping in, and saved the many hundred $$ they cost.

Gazoo

Try before buy when it comes to the Fatshark style, I also have a set of far-sighted aging eyes and did not like them. Luckily I got to try some before jumping in, and saved the many hundred $$ they cost.

How would one go about "try before you buy"? Would you have to know someone with the goggles to try them out or is there someplace that allows you to try them out?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hit a local flying field and ask. Ask on FB or other social media if some one close to you would take you for a ride to see how the googles worked. If you are going to FF I am sure there would be more then enough people willing to take you for a ride using their goggles. You could also get a better idea of what ones suit you best. Last ditch effort you MIGHT be able to talk a hobby shop into letting you try before you by.

So Fyathyrio,,,,what have you ended up with as far as fpv eyewear? Sounds like you went with something other than Fatsharks. And are you happy with the decision you made?

Fyathyrio

Still using the Quanum DIY goggles, perfectly happy with them. I've done some minor mods for comfort...

First was to extend the box about an inch with some foam and mount the monitor on the outside. A little more length allows the eyes to focus easier.

Next, I bought a cheap phone goggle (a Google cardboard copy) and cut the face foam off to put on for better comfort and light sealing. This is a great improvement over the included simple strips of foam.

Then I added the the V2 Pro upgrade kit that is now standard issue. Using the two included polycarbonate magnifying lenses mounted back-to-back plus the added distance means I can view clearly without glasses. I may not win any fashion awards, but the setup is easy to modify and adapt to various needs, such as changing from 3.4GHz to 5.8GHz video receivers. I can use whatever battery or VRx I want, an old 1800mah 3S pack gives me 3 or 4 hours and balances the headset nicely. The picture quality improvement is huge over the cheap fresnel style lenses.

My FPV is mostly fixed wing stuff, long range planes and some small wings, the OSD is clear, the picture quality is great, and I don't have fogging issues.

Hard to beat the setup when it's only $32, plus $12 or so for the phone goggle to steal the face foam from.

Last edited:
Fyathyrio,,,,,thank you for sharing your experience. It is very comforting to finally find someone that has had the same experience and come up with the same work-arounds. It makes me feel a tade bit more sane. ha ha image.jpg

The Quanum headset that I started with was a generation older than yours. And I couldn't seem to get enough distance between my face and the screen (with my magnifyers on). So, as you, I just started playing with what I had and didn't really know if I would get anywhere. I built my own headset box (I hope the picture attaches as I attempted). Used black foam board. Made an inner tube (that you cannot see in the photo) that holds the screen) and then another tube that would wrap around the inner. The inner could then be moved closer or further away from my face (old set of ski googles) until I got the right distance....It is a friction fit and it stays put. In the end,,,,I plan to cut down the outer tube to the final length but haven't done that yet. In the meanwhile,,,,while I am learning,,,,it has worked quite well as is. I prop it in a small camping chair. Once I get my wing flying and trimmed, I just kneel behind the chair and when comfortable turn away from LOS and face the box with my glasses on. I found that I don't have to be all the way head in to FPV fly. As you say,,,,it will not win any awards but it has gotten me started. At first it was great, I could switch between LOS and FPV anytime as I got comfortable. It really worked for a beginner. And now I am almost ready to move on.

Thanks again Fy for sharing your story,,,,we were on the same path to dealing with the same type eyes.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Similar to what I started out with on my 7 inch monitor. I just don't have any added lens's in mine and just used distance to adjust focus.

small monitor.jpg

FPV ground station.jpg

This is too funny. Everyone is opening up their closet to their FPV beginings:) Where else would one be more comfortable sharing their homemade contraptions than the FT forum. Thanks Psy,,,,,I love it and so practical to get started with yet we don't see these sort of methods in the mainstream. Thanks to all who have shared,,,,,maybe it will help others just starting out. And Fya,,,,I look forward to ordering the V2 Pro upgrade kit and adding it to my system. It sounds perfect.

Take care all and happy flying this weekend! ! !

While we have this thread going I will throw out another question. In my first post I believe I mentioned occasional flashing/loss of signal that I experience while flying fpv. I take it that it is somewhat normal. However, how many of you have upgraded to a diversity receiver to decrease signal loss? If it is a good next step I would be interested to hear what receiver you purchased and from where. They do seem to be a bit pricey. Is there any good/better deals that you have found out there?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have ALWAYS had diversity set ups. The advantage is being able to run two types of antennas. Most will run a CP antenna and then a patch antenna for the better range. I be poor and only run matched CP antennas on the quad and one side of the googles and then a freebie dipole on the other. I do have a LHCP set with the patch and CP but killed the one on the quad so I can not use them currently. Kinda sux too as the LHCP seems to do better where I am. I will remedy that at FF hopefully. Hopefully IBCrazy will have the stubby LHCP's with him. His antennas are awesome although on the expensive side but VERY effective. I will just us the good ones on the goggles and the cheapie aomways I currently run on the quads as they are seriously hard to kill on a quad for me at least.

Thanks Psy. Cost on a diversity receiver,,,,,what I am seeing is $50+. And that doesn't necessarily include the antennas. Is that typical or is there some better deals out there that work just the same.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
To be honest mate I would run with what ya got until you can go full on Fat Sharks or skyzones or any of those type goggles. What you have is entry level stuff to get you going at a reasonable price. You WILl want the better quality gear down the road if you stick with FPV long term. No sense throwing money into another item you will replace over time if your gear is working out now for you. I would say go with a better set of matched antennas to boost what you are using more effectively. I tried the expensive antennas and they are worth the money.. Till you drag em across the ground at 60 mph or power slam them in the dirt on a missed trick. I found the Aomway 20 dollar a pair matched sets to be best value for the quality. I ran expensive ones and the lasted MAYBE a week.. I have the Aomways now and have only killed two in a year or more. At those prices you could get a set of RHCP and another for LHCP and that way you can use what ever works best in different areas for the same price of one set of upper level name brand antennas.

Thanks again Psy. The good kind of direction I need. I will place an order for a set of Aomway's and give them a try. That will be a good experiment to see if it decreases some of my flashing. The learning never quits:)

I have another question about OSD's but will probably start a separate thread for that.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You will still get the glitching to some degree no matter what you fly.. With Tx's RX, Motors and ESC's you are basically flying in a magnetic field. Antenna placement helps alot as well. If I have a two antenna RX for my gear I run one wire straight out the back of my quad and the other straigh up but keep it close to the frame as possible on one of the corner posts. Then the FPV antenna can go straight out the back and have a nice bend so the poles match the average flight angle and have the highest point during forward flight. Getting that separation is key. If you find you have a lot of issues mount the receiver antenna(s) in the front of the quad and the FPV in the rear for the high point.

for example this way...

Left side 1.jpg

If you have single wire RX antennas either place would work but straight out the back would be optimal unless you are flying for max range. Normal 100 yard freestyle or racing works fine straight out the back away from the FPV antennas. Well at least it has for me. Some people have bad luck with certain receiver manufacturers no matter what they do with their antennas.

Fyathyrio

Boscam makes some well regarded stuff, this one has auto-scan. For only $50, not a bad deal. As you get further into FPV, you may buy different stuff, but the old equipment will always have value as both a backup and for sharing the experience with others. I have a backup monitor running every time I fly in case there's a failure of my primary setup.

The Aomway antennas are good, here's another good option that may be more durable. Don't forget to verify antenna connector, see attached pic, that can get frustrating! Some ads use male/female to describe, which can get confusing, I always check the pictures to confirm what connector is used.

antenna plug ID.jpg