FORWARD SWEPT WING (no fuse) Will it fly?

Piotrsko

Master member
You should remember the fat old blunt nose pattern wings from the wayback when.

Benefits: strong and warp proof as heck, AAAND, the CoP doesn't jump around with pitch change. Something like a SUPER KAOS or ugly stick

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
You should remember the fat old blunt nose pattern wings from the wayback when.

Benefits: strong and warp proof as heck, AAAND, the CoP doesn't jump around with pitch change. Something like a SUPER KAOS.

The wind tunnel data says that is why the cp changes due to pitch angle. Remember, there is no fuse on this bird, Flow patterns are different.

L Edge

Master member
Finally finished up on design and now the only thing left is to get the fixed CG (remember it is located 4.5" from leading edge) . Battery may end up on carbon rods strung across the wings on first go around. Fun is getting it to go.

The object is to get it to fly as is so I added some items to see if it is going to work.

1) Added canards each with own servo to assist on launch. Chucking it will determine it FC is needed to help/hinder resolve issues? We'll see.
2) Added my "stabilizer" that I have used in other models. Will explain concept on what it does. It is not a leading edge flap.

vcanard.jpg

v done.jpg

If EDF doesn't work with enough thrust, next step is to try a prop setup.

L Edge

Master member
Didn't realize it has been this long. The additional thing I added was canards that are going to be run by a gyro if necessary.

canards.JPG

Meantime I don't want to add a fuse for it defeats the purpose so with the CG 4.5" in front of EDF, ran 2 carbon tubes and balanced it.
battery.JPG

Today with the winds blowing 10-20mph, decided to find out about the CG, if it is right. After 7 throws(about 2 ft above ground) I had 4 nose downs and 3 flip overs. Only minor damage to bird. So I am ordering a gyro and going to decide if I run elevons in the front canards and set up the rear the same way. Controls were very touchy.