• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FOX-800A 1,2GHz VTx - Problem?

Airwolf

Hi, I have a problem with my FOX-800A 1,2GHz VTx I bought a few months ago from a second-hand.
It only seems to transmit on a single channel - no matter which channel I choose receiver gets video only on a channel 2. It's also very sensitive to any obstacles and antennae positions (even if the Rx and Tx are in the same room as the bench-tests are as far as I could go).

I bought this FOX-800A set as fully functional... but perhaps it's shot? And if it is - would it be easy/worth/possible fixing it?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Same room shouldn't be a problem, even with just stock antenna. Don't have direct experience with Fox but 1.2 should be better around obstacles and the VRx only picking up one channel is a red flag, but I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker or not, since again, I don't have direct experience with Fox. Based on my experience with 5.8, I'd say this one isn't in what I would consider "fully functional".

Airwolf

It's not that VRx picks up one channel only... more likely VTx transmits on one channel.

Oh well... got to spend some money on new VTx/VRx... I will probably go with 5.8 though, but I have no experience with this equipment, so maybe you can name a few good 5.8 VTx/VRx sets? I've read that the chineese 400mW VTx's (Boscam clones) are not that bad at all... What do you think?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Something I hadn't really considered since I assumed you knew, but if you have a wireless router on 2.4, harmonics can have an effect on the signal. If you have a wireless router, outdoor testing might be warranted before giving up on this set. You'll get better penetration around obstacles on that frequency...

Airwolf

Yeah, I have two of them... always worth of checking...

But I think I'll buy a new BOSCAM TS832 set anyway (some guy sells it on a local classified ad board). My birthday is two weeks from now so I'll have a good excuse ;)

Thanks

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I don't have any personal exp with Boscam but have heard good things...and local is always better if you need to sort out any issues!