fpv flying wing build log

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
You might need to use it to get some aerial shots of this plane

*note* if you think this is just a cool fibreglass racer, look again in the context of what Banggood sells.

Last edited:

Pilot-294

sounds like a great idea. i cant wait to fly this thing when it gets here. lets just hope i dont kill it... id probably shoot myself on the spot

earthsciteach

Lobster - I'll never look at a Gee Bee the same, again. Ha ha ha

Jesse - This wing should fly very well. Plus, you are pretty good at flying these things. I still don't know how you pulled that Corsair out that time you rolled it at 20 feet!

earthsciteach

Power system has arrived!

Back to school today from the long Thanksgiving break (no classes from 11/17 thru 11/26). Two days of parent conferences, then off to my parents' house in slower, lower Delaware. Relaxing, right? Sure... If you count being sick the entire time with a fever and cold that prevented my from sleeping for about 1-1/2 weeks straight. Ugh. :mad: Finally felt better today, just in time for school.

My buddy ordered the power system for the wing and handed the stuff over to me today. Ended up going bigger on the motor as per Jeff's (headsuprc) recommendation .
Motor: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1530/Power-Up-480-Plus/Detail
esc: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-2424/HURC--50-Amp/Detail
Prop: 11x7e

This posed a problem. The motor is quite a bit fatter than I planned for. So, I used my Dremel with a scroll bit and CAREFULLY routed out a recess to accommodate it. Man, that was a giant pain! I'm covered in saw dust and my ears are ringing from the high pitched banshee scream of the Dremel.

The following pics show the motor sort of in place, the recess and the components of the motor mount.

Attachments

• fpvwingmotormount.JPG
    fpvwingmotormount.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 26
  • fpv wing motor.JPG
    fpv wing motor.JPG
    484.3 KB · Views: 37
  • wingmotorrecess.JPG
    wingmotorrecess.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 30

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
shouldnt you mount it on the outside of the frame ? or even use a motor with "back of firewall mounting" to do it from the inside ?

The wing looks good :D great design !

earthsciteach

I wanted to keep the wing as clean as possible, plus it will help with the cg by having the motor mounted farther forward. I could have used a back of the firewall mount, but there is plenty of room (front to back) for a regular mount.

I'm going to cut in a nice NACA scoop on the belly for ventilation. with discharge at the rear end in some configuration that I haven't resolved, yet.

SteveOBHave

I wanted to keep the wing as clean as possible, plus it will help with the cg by having the motor mounted farther forward. I could have used a back of the firewall mount, but there is plenty of room (front to back) for a regular mount.

I'm going to cut in a nice NACA scoop on the belly for ventilation. with discharge at the rear end in some configuration that I haven't resolved, yet.

Hey Teach - I'd be inclined to use a ram scoop type vent rather than a NACA - a NACA is functionally designed to slow the air coming in the duct and to be properly effective will need to be as precise as an airfoil. In terms of cooling components I'd be gunning for maximum airflow which is achieved with a good old fashioned scoop. Failing that just a good recessed slot will still do a better job than a NACA.