Cartoon (Fatty) P47 Razorback build log

nickharre

Hi all, I'm Nick, building from New Zealand.

Starting this build log to keep my progress ticking over & because I enjoy reading through other people's builds! Never built or flown RC planes before but have been inspired by the group here and the FatFighters Warbirds.

Building a P47D Razorback (ish) with those same Fatty/Cartoon proportions. Making up the design as I go (and keeping templates so I can make up some plans / replacement parts later on). Wingspan is ~720mm, fuselage length ~530.

Good progress this weekend (pic attached). Hopefully will get some more done on it this week...

image1.jpeg

Last edited:

nickharre

If you haven't built or flown anything before, I would recommend getting an aircraft like this: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-...D=71297&indexName=hbk_live_products_analytics from hobbyking to learn to fly on. But amazing work for someone who hasn't built something before.

Thanks for the advice, definitely thinking it'd be good to get something easy to learn on - not too keen on wrecking this thing first go! At the moment I'm just enjoying the build & research!

Bo123

Elite member
I was like that for a while, then I got a bixler, and my flying skills improved so much. They can be a beginner plane, up to an advanced plane. I put an EDF on mine and have been flying it around and gliding it for the whole day today. So much fun, I seriously recommend.
At the moment I'm just enjoying the build & research!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Thanks for the advice, definitely thinking it'd be good to get something easy to learn on - not too keen on wrecking this thing first go! At the moment I'm just enjoying the build & research!
I really recommend, if you want to build a trainer, the ft old speedster. very easy build, but durable, and easy to fly, super sslow.

Scotto

Elite member
Welcome aboard! That looks awesome! Im impressed. Skipping right past easy and moderate going for hard :cool::LOL:. I cant tell by the pictures for sure, does it have dihedral?

nickharre

Welcome aboard! That looks awesome! Im impressed. Skipping right past easy and moderate going for hard :cool::LOL:. I cant tell by the pictures for sure, does it have dihedral?

Thanks! Why not, right?

It does have dihedral, haven’t measured exact angle but each wing tip is approx 50mm higher than the low point - will include that in next pics

Also, loving the Curtiss of yours, very cool!

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm Nick, building from New Zealand.

Starting this build log to keep my progress ticking over & because I enjoy reading through other people's builds! Never built or flown RC planes before but have been inspired by the group here and the FatFighters Warbirds.

Building a P47D Razorback (ish) with those same Fatty/Cartoon proportions. Making up the design as I go (and keeping templates so I can make up some plans / replacement parts later on). Wingspan is ~720mm, fuselage length ~530.

Good progress this weekend (pic attached). Hopefully will get some more done on it this week...

View attachment 208388
Hello from NYC! Looking pretty amazing. Looks like you're a lot like I am - Much builder, not much flyer! :rolleyes::D
(I do fly, not nearly enough, but enough to hope to keep the plane in one piece.)
Yeah, maybe finding a simple set of plans for one of the basic FT builds isn't a bad idea, something to learn to fly on.

New Zealand? Isn't that that imaginary place next to that other upside down imaginary place? ;)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Hello from NYC! Looking pretty amazing. Looks like you're a lot like I am - Much builder, not much flyer! :rolleyes::D
(I do fly, not nearly enough, but enough to hope to keep the plane in one piece.)
Yeah, maybe finding a simple set of plans for one of the basic FT builds isn't a bad idea, something to learn to fly on.

New Zealand? Isn't that that imaginary place next to that other upside down imaginary place? ;)
it's where you end up when digging to china usually