FPV gear

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Hello all,
I am 12, and I am looking at getting into FPV.
I have a Bixler 1.1 that I will use, also my dynam Catalina is a option. I have 9 planes, and I know how to fly well.
I am in AU, and I will get my stuff from hobbyking. I have a 6ch computer radio, and all the gear for the plane.
Will the stuff here work? and, I need to do it as cheap as possible.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2_w_5_inch_LCD_Monitor_Kit_AU_Warehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...nd_FPV_Tuned_600TVL_Camera_Combo_NTSC_2_.html

What else will I need?
thanks, Abe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
While there is nothing you "need" to do fpv other then the goggles and tx / camera there are a few things recommended. First those dipole antennas will work to about 50ft before seeing break up I suggest getting a matched set of circular polarized antennas. Make sure they are both right hand polarized or left hand polarized. you cant use both at the same time with out a problem.

Second I would recommend a power filter. budget kits like that aren't know for the best signals to begin with and you don't want motor noise to try and fly thru trust me on that. I can give you examples of both.

FPV unfiltered with 2 different makes of right hand polarized antennas.

Filtered with matching left hand polarized antennas. This is a first run test and antenna placement was poor. I had huge hole in a certain direction where it dropped out completely. Second half of vid was all free style done LOS because of drop out. I just left the dvr run. Keep in mind the goggles were just sitting on a chair upside down after the second crash

Crazy Goats

While there is nothing you "need" to do fpv other then the goggles and tx / camera there are a few things recommended. First those dipole antennas will work to about 50ft before seeing break up

I havent ever used 5.8ghz. I'm on 1.2 and with the stock dipoles I get more range than my controll tx. Woohoo I love 1.2!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey Abe, I am 15, and went through this process a while ago. You will need a video receiver, and a 12v power filter (or whatever voltage you are running). The filter keeps your video smooth when you use high throttle. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FPV-LC-Powe...986721?hash=item2366f1eee1:g:YSoAAOSwsN9XByJr Heres a link to a power filter for 12v.

Good catch mate. I didn't see the goggles he was looking at had no built in receiver.

1.2 would never survive as brutal as I seem to be on antenna's. Think I have killed at least 3 maybe 4 by now landing on my head.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
yes the power filter CG linked would work. I got this one simply because the capacitor is hard mounted to the board and less likely to break in a crash https://www.amazon.com/Crazepony-Reverse-Polarity-Protection-Quadcopter/dp/B018X744TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474387316&sr=8-1&keywords=RC+power+filter

I also just ordered new antennas while getting a new VTX and got these. A lot of people use these and have good things to say about them. I have used the ones like you linked and found them to break very easy. The Aomways have thicker shrink tube for better support as well as having that molded support which may protect them better then open wire yet not be bulky and flop around like the Ibcrazy ones I have recently tried.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__76889__Aomway_5_8GHz_4_Leaf_Clover_Antenna_Set_for_TX_RX_SMA_RHCP_.html?strSearch=aomway

I can not give advise on an external video receiver as my monitor has a diversity receiver as do my Skyzone goggles built into them.

Last edited:

Crazy Goats

This is how I wire my FPV gear. I plug my battery into one end of this thing:http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT60-Connec...105967?hash=item1c5d855eef:g:q~YAAOSwwE5WXAGd

And plug the ESC into the other end. The little JST lead sprouting off goes to the power filter, and and the power filter goes to the VTX and Camera. This is a simple, lazy, easy way to set up the FPV. If you took time and soldered a bit, you could shorten some wires, and make it much more compact. But since I like my gear spread out it works great for me. This would also be good on you Bixler because you can put the VTX way out on the wing.

Crazy Goats

For the rx, just make sure the connectors are compatible with the connectors on the goggle. And also, Make sure your goggles and receiver run on the same voltage!! Otherwise you will need 2 different batteries to power your gear (or a voltage stepdown or something but that makes it more complicated)

And also make sure your Camera and VTX run on the same voltage. That is very important as well. Also, whenever you power up your vtx or rx make very sure the antennas are on! Wihtout the antennas, the power has nowhere to go and it will burn your vtx up.

If I can think of any other tips for you I will post them.:D Good luck!

Last edited:

RcPro97

I would highly recommend getting a FR632 receiver if you're thinking you're going to stay in this corner of the hobby for awhile.

Crazy Goats

For now that will do. But later you can add an OSD, maybe diversity on the goggles, or something else. I don't suggest you get these things quite yet.

When you fly, try not to get far from yourself on your first few flights. FPV is a whole new experience and you want to go slowly. Try to have a sotter on hand to tell you when you are getting out of visual range, and give you navigation tips.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I have used my iPod for aerial filming over my farm, so I got a bit of a idea of the general look of the place.
I will get back to you when my stuff gets here!
Abe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I got my new tx and antennas early yesterday as they were not supposed to be here until right about now. Anyway I started the install last night and finished this morning. I just got back in and uploaded my test. Ill be adding the video in my build thread if you want more details then just the Video.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I watched his video. Looks like straw/hay/grass spread out near those buildings. Maybe just dirt? Or are you referring to that yellow orb in the sky that emits all that light and heat?