FPV gear

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
My stuff arrived, but I am about to buy the goggles and another set of antennas. The ones I bought were SMA so I need to get some RP-SMA ones too. question, should I use the stock transmitter antenna or my Aomway ones? thanks.
Abe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ohh sorry for the late response. The multi colored flickering in the sky is from wayyyy to high contrast. I did that first video just to test the system. Look at the latest videos now that the camera has been adjusted. Those settings were stock un touched ones that the camera was set to when it came and I did the build. Contrast was way up over 120 and is now down closer to 50-60.

The weirdness on the ground is in fact straw as they had just reseeded the areas that were torn up by a bobcat while they were doing rehab in the complex.

The stock dipole antenna will work as a secondary diversity antenna if the goggles you choose has that feature. The Aomway antennas so far have been the best over all I have tried in my search for durable ones that wont effect flight characteristics.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I posted a new video this evening and that shows that contrast issue is nearly fully cleared up. The rest of the noise is just a crappy lo res DVR hehe. The lens screwing in and out is how you focus them. The little ring behind the lens is a locking nut that tightens against the case to hold it from unscrewing once you have it dialed in.

You do realize those are just the goggles and don't have a receiver right? The Aomway antennas are far superior to the stock dipole little whip antennas they send with everything. I only use one since I don't have a second right hand polarized antenna to use. I have a matching left hand set that has a patch as well as a clover leaf antenna for the goggles but I killed the left hand polarized for the quad.

I just went back and looked at your list.. the receiver you did get is only a single feed not dual so it does not have / use diversity and only requires one antenna so the matched pair of aomways will do fine as long as the connectors are correct. They do sell little connectors that will change from SMA to RP SMA or the other way around and are always good to have around. Sometimes you kill an antenna in the field and someone has a spare but won't match for connectors. Or you have them to help someone else should they be in that situation.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thanks you again! yes, I have a receiver for the goggles. Ah, I will look at the adapters, I was going to get a new set of RP SMA ones.
Abe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks you again! yes, I have a receiver for the goggles. Ah, I will look at the adapters, I was going to get a new set of RP SMA ones.
Abe

It doesn't hurt to have both like I said you can use the adapters or you have spares if someone else ends up needing to borrow them.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Could I mount my Tx and antenna on the wing, pointing forward and the antenna horizontal? I have my ESC on top of the fuze, right behind the cockpit and a servo glued on top of that, for my camera pan. the is not much space anywhere else for the tx!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You always want the tx antenna to be as close to vertical as possible. That is why you see on most quad copters the antennas are in the back and tilted 25 + degrees to accommodate the tilt of fast forward flight. I suppose you could point it down and have the same effect since you are more then likely flying above your receiver most time with a plane as long as you don't fly directly over your own head and get into that dead zone where there is no signal.. The only drawback I see is low flight and how bad the signal would be if you get into the Fresnel zone.

You can place the antenna further out on the wing as long as you respect rules for COG on both axis. You could also mount the antenna further back along the tail section of the fuselage using a simple extension with a 90 degree end to match your antenna. Nothing says it all has to be in one place. It just has to be balanced.