FPV Goggles and cameras

Bricks

Master member
Should take care of everything, what I do on some of my builds Is I have JST connectors wired to the FPV transmitter that plugs into my balance lead of my battery, just choose the right pins for the voltage you need to run.

FDS

Elite member
You need antennae, one for the VTX and one for the goggles. Check the connectors, some are RP SMA and some are SMA. Use two RHCP antenna, ideally a pair of similar ones. I use omni directional ones, as they provide the broadest signal spread. The 800 is non diversity so only uses one antenna.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So I can just buy Eachine EV800 goggles, Foxeer Predator mini, holybro Atlatl HV V2, or do I need anything else for a complete Fpv setup ?

Just antennas. I suggest what ever brand you get that you get a matching pair. Places like Getfpv.com and Racedayquads have sets they sell that have a stubby for your airframe, a cp on a longer stem for your goggles as well as a patch for longer range if your goggles have diversity receivers.

FDS

Elite member
They cost nearly twice as much. The included antennae are usually not very good.
The 800D only has antenna diversity, so it has one receiver, two antennae. It has a DVR as well, if you want that.
Otherwise it’s the same as the 800. I like to buy my own antennae, that way you have some control over the quality.

0__0

Sorry but which antennae do I exactly need for the Atlatl HV V2 and for the EV800 Goggles ? (Could you post links if possible please ?)
I'd rather ask the same question twice and be perfecly sure of what I am doing than being confused and making bad purchases.

FDS

Elite member
@PsyBorg Any antenna recommendations? I use Menace RC ones, but they are a UK company so not so much use in the US.
That antenna was on my set of EV800’s, it worked but I was staying within 300m. Banggood is safe if you don’t mind waiting. It also leeches off the community a fair bit VS somewhere like RDQ. I still buy stuff from there, despite trying to put more money into stores, because there’s some stuff I can only get from there.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Used to buy the Aomway rhcp matched sets off Amazon for 12 bucks a pair. doubt the prices are that low now but I dont see them being over 20 bucks a pair now. they served me very well except I kept tearing the rings off on gates which is why I went to the axxii stubby.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9QM409/?tag=lstir-20

You could try these. Not sure what the durabulity would be like as thast a lot of flat space to catch things on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793KSPRD/?tag=lstir-20

either way they anything is better then the freebie dipoles

Flite Risk

For ultra simple look for an AIO (all in one) camera/vtx. they come in a verity of transmit powers from 25mw to 200 or even 400mw [check your local laws [Ha Ha]]. they are usually powered by a 1S (3.7v) supplementalbattery. they are a very low weight option, video quality is not horrible for what you trade in weight.

Also go down the TBS Team Black Sheep rabbit hole. Smart auido.is a very cool feature.

And keep an eye out on craigsistl for FPV equipment but make sure you demo before handing over cash.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
AOI is mostly limited to 200Mw and the antennae are not very good. For what you are proposing your original gear choice was better.

FDS

Elite member
Goggles one is probably fine if you get the mushroo, otherwise it’s an RP SMA connector. The VTX you suggested has an MMCX plug on the board, so you can use that, or use the supplied pigtail, which is an SMA terminal on one end and MMCX on the other. If you go with the pigtail option it’s easier to put the SMA plug where you want it on the plane, ideally away from motor/esc and where it can get clean transmission a little away from the fuselage. A “stubby” type antenna would work well on the plane, especially on top of the fuselage. Then you want a matching RP SMA one on the goggles.
If you are mad on weight saving then going straight into the MMCX connector on the VTX will save the pigtail weight.
I would buy something like a Lumenier AX2 stubby for the plane and a long AX2 for the goggles.
Many cheap antennae are not tested at all before shipping, QC is hit and miss and finding out yours is bad when you lose sight of the plane is not fun.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Antennae are kinda funny and fickle things. I've found that certain antenna types work better in certain environments. A buddy of mine was flying next to me with his Fatshark Attitude V3 goggles out at our field, using the stock mushroom style antenna that came with the goggles. He had great picture except when he dropped behind a large bush at one end of the field where we were flying. So he switched out to a pagoda style antenna, and it got worse, so he switched back.

A few weeks later, we were flying at the local softball field, and he was flying the same quad, same goggles, same mushroom antenna. His signal was all over the place when he'd get close to the light poles. He switched out to the pagoda antenna, and it got significantly better. Moral of this anecdote is that you use what works best for your situation, and it may involve carrying a few different types of antennas to switch out to - but don't bother with the dipoles. I've never seen a situation where the dipole was superior to the other types of antennas. Cloverleaf, mushroom, pagoda - they've all shown better results in various situations than the dipoles, I've found...

Reactions: FDS

0__0

As my battery only has 1 current output, will I need somesort of cable to power my VTX ?

FDS

Elite member
Those are both RP SMA. You need one SMA (Goggles) and one RP SMA (VTX) or you could buy an SMA to RP SMA adaptor for the goggles
You don’t need Fatshark goggles to get into FPV, they are good but not necessary. My bargain HD3’s don’t feel $180 better than my EV 800‘s. I certainly wouldn’t buy Attitudes.