FPV Knuckles H-Quad Build Log

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
If you were closer to me I'd offer to buy that burned one for a few bucks. I've got one that was crash damaged and I suspect between the two of them one working one might be hobbled together. But not worth the cost to ship broken electronics overseas just to try and salvage components :D

Tomtom

Indeed, I don't think this worth the cost of shipping + custom. That's too bad, I like the idea of electronic scavenging :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Hang onto it then, chances are eventually you'll have another broken one or two :black_eyed: ;)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Customs? I don't think you have to pay customs for a gift - for a broken gift that is anyway =)

Tomtom

Hang onto it then, chances are eventually you'll have another broken one or two :black_eyed: ;)

Don't jinx it jhitesma! I will hold you responsible if something happen to the next one :p

Customs? I don't think you have to pay customs for a gift - for a broken gift that is anyway =)

Probably not indeed. I'm just so used to have to pay custom from parcels between the US and UK that I always include the cost of it. You know, just in case.

Tomtom

It's alive!

What a pleasant surprise today when I came back home, my new FPV Tx was arrived! :D

I finished my video cable, plugged everything together (triple checking all connections to be sure not to fry the Tx) and it worked! Here are few pictures of the finished product:

Copie de 2014-08-27 19.08.39-resized.jpg

Copie de 2014-08-27 19.09.00-resized.jpg

Copie de 2014-08-27 19.15.47-resized.jpg

Copie de 2014-08-27 19.15.58-resized.jpg

Copie de 2014-08-27 19.16.10-resized.jpg

I now have a AUW of 724gr with a 2200 mAh LiPo + FPV gear. Without the FPV gear, it goes down to 690gr. I'm quite happy about that because I added stuff and managed to decrease the overall weight. It's not as much as I expected / wanted but still a good improvement (was 785gr)

Copie de 2014-08-27 19.14.25-resized.jpg

And here are a picture with the FPV gear the receiver part on. You can see the image on the screen :D

Copie de 2014-08-27 19.20.30-resized.jpg

Next step is to build my FPV goggles out of foam. With luck, I will be able to fly this weekend!

Attachments

• Copie de 2014-08-27 19.20.11-resized.jpg
    Copie de 2014-08-27 19.20.11-resized.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 35

Tomtom

Looks great! I love my H-Quad as well.

Thanks!

And I finally finished my "ground station" (if I can call it this way as it looks awful :p).

Copie de 2014-09-06 13.31.46-resized.jpg

Copie de 2014-09-06 13.32.21-resized.jpg

Copie de 2014-09-06 13.32.28-resized.jpg

Copie de 2014-09-06 13.32.49-resized.jpg

As you may notice, I started the build to be a DIY FPV goggles. Turns out that my original plans were way off and need to be redrawn. As I didn't want to look funny for the other people with a huge foam helmet on my head (I didn't want to wait either, it's been more than 4 weeks now that I'm on that build) I decided to turn my first attempt into a integrated FPV screen with sun blocker :D

My first FPV fly will be this afternoon. Hope everything will be fine.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Tomtom

Maiden FPV flight check! That was really really cool! :D

But much more complicated than I expected. I mean you really need to be reactive because I you don't, you can crash easily. Anyway, 3 LiPos down and no crash today, awesome! Although, I didn't go very far as it is my first FPV flight (obviously) because I don't really trust my FPV gear, at least for now and more importantly, I don't trust myself enough :p

I didn't do a proper range test as I didn't have a friend today to help. However, I did rich a maximum distance of 150-200 meters successfully. I also experienced lost of signal a lot of time when even if I was close to my ground station (around 30-40 meters). Is it possible that the orientation of my vTx clover leaf antenna (facing down) could cause that? From my understanding, the radiation should be like a sphere so I should not matter. Well, to be fair, my cheap Chinese screen goes dark (or blue) when I loose the signal, I don't get static. Maybe there is a delay when the signal comes back to get the image back?

Anyway, I'm pretty exited to fly FPV again. I'll probably train myself tomorrow :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention but my camera mount with dampener balls seems to work well, I didn't have jello on my video :)

Last edited: