FPV video blackout WHAT DO I DO?

The Alpine Ace

Alright heres the deal. This Christmas my new favorite person got me a pair of Fatshark fpv goggles. They work perfectly. Its my old video transmitter... or camera... or connectors....
When I plug the battery in the video transmitter/camera/antenna assembly, I can see just fine through the goggles. but when the assembly gets moved around or bumped the screen goes black. I then have to mess with it, moving it and bumping it again until the image comes back.
I've tried isolating the problem by gluing the connector into the camera, and by fastening everything and moving/bumping individual components to see if it was just one thing reacting. And what I've deduced is that its NOT the antenna or camera causing the problem.
so I know that it's either the goggles, transmitter, or battery causing the problem...

I'm using a FatShark Teleporter V3
Immersion RC 600mw 5.8 ghz a/v transmitter
generic brand 800 mah 2S lipo battery

Any input? Thanks in advance

Killa Watt

That sounds more like a connection issue more than just an individual part. Something somewhere is loose. (you already know this)
My most frequent issue is not the plug its self but the wires going into the plug. They become frayed and weak at the crimp point.
Also I know you have said you check the camera... but the same thing you are describing happens when this guy(see http://vk4ghz.com/fpv-camera-crystal-repairs/) has come loose, but not so much so to never work, Just intermittent. I always glue them down for that reason. Try tapping on it if you can, gently as to not break it if its fine.

Hope any of this helps.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Those camera- end connectors for the immersion gear are notorious for breaking/fraying after repeated use. I had that issue with my camera and the cable, the video kept blacking out. I'd bet it's an issue with your camera connector. It'll be easier to tell once you get the pics uploaded (Try tinypic, it gives you a formatted image code for posting on the forums)

The Alpine Ace

GOOD NEWS! I've tried to solve that problem of the wires and crimp points being loose by first making sure there is video output, then hot glueing the wires so they stay where they are in relation to the plug. So far it's worked, and its worked really well. I've done this to the camera side of the connecter and the TX side of the connector. The blackouts have been significantly reduced. But they still happen on occasion. I also glued a flat aluminum motor mount to the heat sink (not with hot glue, with super glue and some tape) and that has helped too. So theres a little side question... does too much heat cause a blackout too? And here's some pictures. One of the system mounted to the Explorer, and one where it's not mounted. Do you guys see any mounting problems that could be causing blackouts? Thanks!

sorry that last one is sideways, I can't figure out how to rotate it within the forums :p

Attachments

• IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3928.JPG
    IMG_3928.JPG
    444.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3929.JPG
    IMG_3929.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3928.JPG
    IMG_3928.JPG
    444.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3929.JPG
    IMG_3929.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
I kinda had the same issue different setup but video in and out tried everything I could think of finally jury rigged a different camera guess what bad camera.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Something about that power connector on the VTX looks a little off... like it's crooked / bent. I suspect that's a potential problem...

The Alpine Ace

Just from all the problems presented I think I'm just going to start looking for a new FPV tx and camera. It doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to cure this completely. Your guys's input has been awesome. Thanks! I'm going to fly this next time theres good weather and I'll update you on how it goes. Thanks again!