FT Aura 5 Lite

tsschnoc

FT Aura 5 Lite - no gyro displayed in configurator - constant blue light

Hi, I was able to bind the aura light to my receiver and also flashing now configurations using the flex innovation windows configurator.
I also did firmware and boot loader updates. But now it seems completely bricked. I followed the reset video several times, but no success. Still the same.
Don't even see the gyros moving in the config tool anymore, as seen in the reset video in the beginning.

Perhaps there another way to cpmpletely reset the device. Or could the hareware be broken? problem with the updated bootloader / firmware?

Last edited:

Burnhard

I think there is a switch on the right in the config to you need to set to get live data from the Aura. By default it is set to n live data.

WillL84

FT Aura 5 Lite - no gyro displayed in configurator - constant blue light

Hi, I was able to bind the aura light to my receiver and also flashing now configurations using the flex innovation windows configurator.
I also did firmware and boot loader updates. But now it seems completely bricked. I followed the reset video several times, but no success. Still the same.
Don't even see the gyros moving in the config tool anymore, as seen in the reset video in the beginning.

Perhaps there another way to cpmpletely reset the device. Or could the hareware be broken? problem with the updated bootloader / firmware?

I thought I had bricked mine as well since it refused to do a firmware update. I just left it powered off for a few minutes and then plugged it back and and it was fine. As Burnahrd mentioned though there is a button you need to click in the software to see real-time readings, it's off by default.

tsschnoc

Hi, I don't see some settings to enable this.
The config tools states in the "Aura Sensor monitor" section: "Unavailable in autodetect mode".

Also the device is blinking blue all the time. Before the update I did, the colors were different.

Attachments

• aura config.png
    aura config.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 0

Burnhard

Hi, I don't see some settings to enable this.
The config tools states in the "Aura Sensor monitor" section: "Unavailable in autodetect mode".

Also the device is blinking blue all the time. Before the update I did, the colors were different.
Have you tried the convert Aura option under the Aura tools?

tsschnoc

Yes, several times. I converted to flitetest and also the other Piranha several times successfully. Now i have Flite test v1.16 installed.
The aura is blinking blue constantly. I don't really understand the led schema in the quick start guide.
FTAura5_QuickStartGuide.pdf (flexinnovations.com)
But it seems could be the "Calibration Sensor" state. Perhapts the gyros try to calibrate but fail?

Burnhard

Yes, several times. I converted to flitetest and also the other Piranha several times successfully. Now i have Flite test v1.16 installed.
The aura is blinking blue constantly. I don't really understand the led schema in the quick start guide.
FTAura5_QuickStartGuide.pdf (flexinnovations.com)
But it seems could be the "Calibration Sensor" state. Perhapts the gyros try to calibrate but fail?
The leds never made sense to me. I ended up just using the config tool. When you click write to Aura and then disconnect, does the Aura then work when you move the aircraft?

tsschnoc

The leds never made sense to me. I ended up just using the config tool. When you click write to Aura and then disconnect, does the Aura then work when you move the aircraft?

No, nothing is moving. No commands from the TX is passed to the servos. And I'm quite sure I bound the TX properly using s-bus

Burnhard

No, nothing is moving. No commands from the TX is passed to the servos. And I'm quite sure I bound the TX properly using s-bus
When you connect the Aura to USB, what happens when you click read from Aura? I am also using an SBUS setup on a Graupner system. Is your power from the sped controller connected to the RX or the Aura?

tsschnoc

I can read from aura and write from aura using usb, but the gyros are not show as they were in the beginning. Everything worked fine in the beginning (I saw the gyros working in the config took), but the I think I broke it. Perhaps I relly did something bad, like reversing the polarity and the gyros did not like it.

Burnhard

I can read from aura and write from aura using usb, but the gyros are not show as they were in the beginning. Everything worked fine in the beginning (I saw the gyros working in the config took), but the I think I broke it. Perhaps I relly did something bad, like reversing the polarity and the gyros did not like it.
It feels a bit like maybe just a faulty setting somewhere. It’s also weird that nothing from the TX is passed on to the servos. Have you tried customer service?

tsschnoc

I tried to find a contact for customer service, but it did not find it on flex innovations page. I also don't think it makes sense to contact the reseller. Did you see something?

Muss Schluss machen für heute. Gute Nacht und danke!

Laszlo

I am having exactly the same problem. 24 hours ago I had a working completely ready to go system, just waiting for the weather to improve to maiden my plane. Now it's a brick with the POS Aura mocking me and no fixes anywhere on the internet that work. All I did was change the V-tail type from A to B to see if that would let me turn off the rudder reversal on the transmitter (V-tails seem to really confuse the Aura). It made the situation worse, so I reloaded my original untouched config file. Nothing worked. So I followed the instructions in Bixler's factory reset video and got the permanent blue blinking light that nothing fixes. I tried several conversions but nothing worked. My current firmware is v1.14. I can connect to the Aura via USB and can read the values, but the option to see live data is gone. Even though the config file specifies Spektrum and Spektrum Remote on Mini Port B, the status monitor tells me that live data is unavailable in Auto-detect mode. I suspect that this is because the POS is hung up in calibration and hasn't gotten to binding yet..

The blue light is doing an idiotic permanent slow blink, the receiver LED is off. I made absolutely no hardware changes between when it worked and when it stopped. I've had the plane supported in a level position, as measured by a spirit level on top of the fuselage, for the last hour with no change. I've power cycled it multiple times with no different results. Yesterday i was ready to recommend the FT Aura 5 Lite to everyone, now I'm ready to warn any and all from buying this POS. Somebody prove me wrong with a fix.

Laszlo

Tnx for the response. Yes, after my post. The receiver orange light is on now, but the config program is still saying it's in auto-detect mode and the blue light is still blinking showing calibration in process. If I turn the TX off, the orange light goes off, so it looks like the bind worked.

I also updated the firmware t o the latest 1.16 version. Same behavior, just like tsschnoc above. Apparently old bug and very fragile firmware.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I have a love/hate relationship with the Aura 5. When they work they work great but sometimes have a mind of their own. If you bought it from FT you might try calling them. They helped me with my first one

Laszlo

I called them at 4:35 PM today (Friday April 7th) and got the message that their hours are 9:00 - 5:00 M-F and I should call them when they're open, meantime leave a message. I guess they can't tell time, either.

Otherwise, I've been consideringt the general unreliability of the Aura and had a thought. There are so many reports of it working well, but pretty much as many of it suddenly acting up for no apparent reason. At first I was thinking that the firmware was really poorly written, but now I'm thinking that it's a hardware problem, either ESD (electrostatic discharge) or a lack of a brownout detector. Either could explain the weirdnesses that we see, such as features changing, functionality changing and boards that just stop working.

I think that it's all a consequence of how the board is used. First, it's very finger-intensive with all the button pushing when the config program is not used. If the finger is not connected to a grounding strap and the work isn't done over a static mat, there could be a discharge which upsets the memory and/or damages the circuitry. Second, the normal mode of operation in a plane involves the battery being plugged in and unplugged, which could lead to electrical transients that could upset the memory and/or damages the circuitry. Basically, I'm starting to think that the board is not properly hardened for the most usual use cases, especially when using the no-computer interface. Maybe we need to start designing our applications (planes) with softer power switching and transient suppression and service the planes observing proper ESD precautions. If that's the case, then Flex Innovations and Flite Test need to start documenting these requirements and cautions and show them being used in their videos.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I called them at 4:35 PM today (Friday April 7th) and got the message that their hours are 9:00 - 5:00 M-F and I should call them when they're open, meantime leave a message. I guess they can't tell time, either.
I respect Flite Test taking off on GOOD FRIDAY.
Try contacting them again on Monday. They will help you with any issues you're having.

Laszlo

I don't care if they take off early, but they should have announced that they were doing that and changed the message, that's all. I always let my customers know when I wouldn't be available, so I was expecting something similar.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
EVERY situation is different, but there are a TON of experienced people here on the forums that use the Aura 5 that can help you figure out how to fix the issues with your model and Aura. (Myself included). Rather than wasting keystrokes knocking the product and/or vendor, provide us with more details of the build. When using a flight controller on ANY build, the flight controller should do ALL the mixing, and the radio should provide RAW Throttle, Roll, Pitch, and yaw. Corrections for servo reversal should also only be done in the flight controller. If the flight controller doesn't move the surfaces in the correct direction, it needs to be told that. Otherwise the radio inputs and flight controller will be fighting each other, usually with unpredictable and possibly catastrophic results.

Pictures of your build so we know what plane you are working with, as well as knowing what servos are plugged into each Aura port would be most helpful.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT (add screenshot of info from documentation)
Screenshot_20230409-122420.jpg

Screenshot_20230409-124310.jpg

Step 1). Ensure you have NO mixing enabled in the radio!

Channel/servo mapping I would start with
1: motor
2: L aileron
3: R aileron
4: L ruddervator
5: R Ruddervator

Last edited: