FT Aura 5 - No Valid RX Signal w/ ELRS

Alex MacKinnon

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the hobby. I ran out of things to 3D print, so I decided to have my hand at a scratch-built model airplane. I'll probably do my own design for the next one, but decided on a Nano Gremlin for my first, since it's nice to have some plans to work off of. The plane went together dead easy, but now I'm stumped on the electronics.

I picked up a FT Aura 5, FT type-A servo/motor kit, a Radiomaster TX16s Mk2 ELRS, and a Radiomaster RP3 ELRS nanoreceiver.

I think I hooped myself, as the RX doesn't seem to talk to the receiver. When I have the RX plugged into the B port, and everything powered up, it doesn't get a valid signal.

I set up the RX to communication with an inverted crossfire, which is supposed to work on most SBUS systems. When I set the Aura to auto detect or receive SBUS in the config tool, all I get is "no valid signal yet". I get telemetry on the radio, but only for the receiver.

I've wired it all up with dupont connectors, so I can adjust the wiring pretty easily. It doesn't seem to matter which of the two data connections are plugged in for the B plug.

Does anyone know if I can get the RX to talk to the flight controller somehow? I'm starting to think I might need a different receiver, but all the ones I seems to see don't seem to have other protocols than ELRS and CRSF. It might just be easier switch out the flight controller.

Here's where I've been stuck at for the last week :p

20230111_005819.jpg

Bricks

Master member
Is your receiver bound to the Transmitter? Have you updated the receiver to match the software on the transmitter did you set up a bind phrase. In other words is the ELRS set up properly the first thing to do?

moti

The aura do not connect to the PC, I tried to load the driver via the Impulserc but it say "can't find the device"
another issue...gyro works only on the rudder chanel

Last edited:

Alex MacKinnon

Is your receiver bound to the Transmitter? Have you updated the receiver to match the software on the transmitter did you set up a bind phrase. In other words is the ELRS set up properly the first thing to do?

Yep. That part was pretty straight forward. I've got them both flashed with the same binding phrase, and I get the little c indicator on the controller. The light on the RX also goes into a slow flash after I connect, rather than the fast flash when it's hosting the web interface.

I'm pretty sure the problem is at the interface between the RX and the Aura. Rather annoyingly I don't have anything I can test this with.

The RX gets power just fine, so I'm assuming it's the data connection.

Is there anything else that I need to do to bind the system? I see there's a bind option in the LUA on the RX, and a bind button on the Aura, but they didn't seem to do anything.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Did the Aura start supporting CRSF wire protocol?

Unless this is out of date, it only supported SBUS, SRXL, SumD,JR Mode B, EX-BUS Receivers. none of which is CRSF wire protocol - the only serial protocol that ELRS RXes talk. http://resources.flexinnovations.com/files/FTAura5_QuickStartGuide.pdf

I would suggest contacting FT support or FLex innovations (who actually makes the FT Aura 5) to see if/when it will support CRSF wire protocol. Your other option might be a CRSF to s-bus converter http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=crsf-sbus.

moti

Hi.... can anyone send screen shot of the aurora config. tool...thanks and have a nice weekend
Moti

Bricks

Master member
One thing you need to do is reconfigure your out put channels as the Aura if I remember right wants to see TAER not AETR which the LRS puts out.

Alex MacKinnon

The aura do not connect to the PC, I tried to load the driver via the Impulserc but it say "can't find the device"

Sounds like you might have the wrong COM port selected. Have a look through what device you're connected to. Windows has to be told to look at the right port sometimes.

Bricks

Master member
I've ordered a couple of CRSF to PWM converters. I think that might be the key. We'll find out in a couple days.

The Aura does not accept PWM signals Sbus or serial, from what I have read. Do you have your outputs configured right as the Aura is looking for TAER if any thing else it will not work.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I've ordered a couple of CRSF to PWM converters. I think that might be the key. We'll find out in a couple days.
Not sure were you got this idea. that isn't going to help you connect your ELRS RX to the Aura. it would let you drive the control surfaces and motor directly __without__ the aura.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I have the same problem. I am not using elrs though, but spektrum

Bricks

Master member
standard spektrum remote receiver, dont remember the exact model, but it wont connect to my computer.

Standard receiver will not work with the Aura light has to be SBUS or serial one wire control from the receiver. You can use a Spektrum satellite receiver or 4849 quad receiver. or similar Spektrum receiver.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Standard receiver will not work with the Aura light has to be SBUS or serial one wire control from the receiver. You can use a Spektrum satellite receiver or 4849 quad receiver. or similar Spektrum receiver.
I meant it is a standard spektrum sattellite remote receiver. sorry. I knwo it is compatible, using mini port b. my issue is that it wont connect to my computer

Alex MacKinnon

The Aura does not accept PWM signals Sbus or serial, from what I have read. Do you have your outputs configured right as the Aura is looking for TAER if any thing else it will not work.

Yep. I stand corrected. I bought a CRSF to SBUS convertor. I'll solder it together tonight.

They were dirt cheap, so I figure its worth a shot.

This unit.