Solved FT aura instantly nose dives

Morgajus

I purchased an aura board to put in my volantex ranger 2000 (big powered glider) for my partner because it should have been a slow and stable vehicle. We Set everything up, all looked good on the bench (using modded flysky fsi6 TX with 6ch RX and s-bus/ppm output.) Had to out 2 batteries in the compartment to get it to balance properly.

Took it the field, "accidentally" took off from the strip (I'd planned to toss it in takeoff assist) but we rolled with it because, why not. Did a lap of the field to make sure the trim was good with the gyros off. Flicked the Gyro into low rates, and things started to go down hill from here.
Instantly the plane pitched forward (maybe a little to the right also, couldn't see well from my angle and smashed into a tree.) Assumed this was my fault for letting go of the stick to flick the switch when a gust happened or something.

Plane was still flyable so I checked all the velcro and wires, looked good, CRAP still checked out.
Now I decided to try takeoff assist because the plane was trimmed in ~OK. My take off was top left on the stick rather than bottom left as the instructions said [note 1]. But when I gave it 100% throttle and tossed, it instantly dove into the ground about 20 feet from me. Ok maybe I didn't throw it hard enough. it is a big plane, but not particularly heavy...

After checking everything and reconnecting the esc/motor plugs, I decided to use the runway again with take off assist turned on. It got about 60 feet up before it nosed down into a dive and piled into the ground again. (It made it past vertical so idk if it wanted to go inverted or something.) The input I gave to correct it was ignored (or the elevator was anemic suddenly.)

After 3 failures I was pretty disheartened and decided to call it for the day. I still can't figure out what is wrong, so I'm asking y'all for advice. Do I have a defective board? Did I set it up wrong? (the symbol is facing forward and on the bottom.)

I will answer questions as best I can, if you need more info.

Thank you for reading this far.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if you were flying in 3deg mode and it nosed down, your elevator is probably backwords. Did you reverse your elevator in your transmitter instead of in the aura 5?

Morgajus

if you were flying in 3deg mode and it nosed down, your elevator is probably backwords. Did you reverse your elevator in your transmitter instead of in the aura 5?
The only reversing I've done is the throttle and the ailerons, ailerons on the aura. The sticks input properly but when I wiggle it, I could be convinced it's going the wrong way (it's very slight)

Is there a good way to test this on the bench? I'm looking at it now.

JasonK

The only reversing I've done is the throttle and the ailerons, ailerons on the aura. The sticks input properly but when I wiggle it, I could be convinced it's going the wrong way (it's very slight)

Is there a good way to test this on the bench? I'm looking at it now.

put it in 6 axis mode and see how the elevator moves when you tip the nose down.

Morgajus

Oh... well... the reaction is still reversed.

Edit:Aside: how do I put it in 6-axis if not on the 3 position switch? nvm, I rewatched the video. I already had it on the middle position. but the reaction is still reversed from my stick, though the Gyro is now correct at least.

Last edited:

JasonK

Oh... well... the reaction is still reversed.

Edit:Aside: how do I put it in 6-axis if not on the 3 position switch? nvm, I rewatched the video. I already had it on the middle position. but the reaction is still reversed from my stick, though the Gyro is now correct at least.
if the Gyro is now correct, then you need to reverse the stick on your TX.