FT Explorer with twin boom

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have actually built the arrow before, quick little wing. I had that one working after some messin around with elevon A and elevon B. Seemed simple then. Yesterday to set up the 2 channel aileron is in the same menu and set it up. On the program it was set up right but the left aileron was either stuck full up or full down depending on the normal /reverse switch. Every other control surface worked fine, even the right aileron... perplexing

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Super easy to fly, right? How is your flying going?
Flying is going awesome, improved by leaps and bounds, daily. Yesterday we had a good wind all day so I took out the Explorer a few times just to get some wind experience and it went great. 0 crashes, did some loops, rolls, dives to low-ish passes and even a few attempts at a sustained inverted, (wind kept pushing it back upright). Flying the Spit is getting to be my comfort zone now, confidence builder. I am surprised with myself every time I go out.

Did you fly today?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have since destroyed my dXe by dropping it but when it worked I used a physical V-tail/ elevon mixer to mix the channels like this- V- Tail Mixer. It added a couple grams, but makes it really simple to do flaperons, elevons, or any other setup that requires mixing.
I've never seen those before, how do they work?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
They work as would be expected by adding the difference from 1.5ms on each channel together by adding the Aileron to the elevator on one output and subtracting it on the other!

There is a trick though. Whilst I cannot say for every version on sale the ones I had tried in the past just added in total and not a 50% portion of the movement required. So remember the servo can only provide effectively 100% and adding 100% to 100% does not give 200% but rather just 100%.

In other words it is easy for the outputs to the servos to try and overdrive the servos or drive them to their maximum way before you reach 100% on the transmitter sticks! Can make handling quite tricky if you are not aware!

Actually the cheap flight stabilizers also have the same sort of mixing for elevons so remember to turn down your rates to 50% maximum or you could end up having serious issues/fun!

Have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Flying is going awesome, improved by leaps and bounds, daily. Yesterday we had a good wind all day so I took out the Explorer a few times just to get some wind experience and it went great. 0 crashes, did some loops, rolls, dives to low-ish passes and even a few attempts at a sustained inverted, (wind kept pushing it back upright). Flying the Spit is getting to be my comfort zone now, confidence builder. I am surprised with myself every time I go out.

Did you fly today?
I flew my champ as I ruined my last 30 amp esc trying to fly off the water with the simple cub. There was a super weird wind coming from all directions and changing constantly. I finally got it up, but it pitched left terrible and couldn’t get altitude before it ended nose first in the water. After several failed attempts I realized that my wing was on too far to the right causing more lift on the right making me pitch left. To further my problem, the bbq skewer holding the wing on caught on my right aileron since the wing was in wrong making it stuck. After mounting he wing properly, I stuck it in the water only to have it not work and see smoke coming out of the esc upon pulling the power pod out... I decided to buy a lot of 4 cheapo 30 amp esc’s off of eBay for $17! We’ll see how they hold up... The ones I ruined were “expensive” emax ones. Ohh well... so back to my point, my standard sized ft planes are down so I flew my champ. There was a little bit of a breeze and since he Champ is so light it can’t handle much wind. After some really sketchy flying and crashes, I decided to quit for the day... better luck tomorrow. Glad to hear you’re improving tons! Flying is so much fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
They work as would be expected by adding the difference from 1.5ms on each channel together by adding the Aileron to the elevator on one output and subtracting it on the other!

There is a trick though. Whilst I cannot say for every version on sale the ones I had tried in the past just added in total and not a 50% portion of the movement required. So remember the servo can only provide effectively 100% and adding 100% to 100% does not give 200% but rather just 100%.

In other words it is easy for the outputs to the servos to try and overdrive the servos or drive them to their maximum way before you reach 100% on the transmitter sticks! Can make handling quite tricky if you are not aware!

Actually the cheap flight stabilizers also have the same sort of mixing for elevons so remember to turn down your rates to 50% maximum or you could end up having serious issues/fun!

Have fun!
What do you know about the DXe mixing. I have the program on my laptop and the cord to connect it all up. I have done the elevon mixing before with ease, I just haven't seen the rudder/elevator mix yet

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I flew my champ as I ruined my last 30 amp esc trying to fly off the water with the simple cub. There was a super weird wind coming from all directions and changing constantly. I finally got it up, but it pitched left terrible and couldn’t get altitude before it ended nose first in the water. After several failed attempts I realized that my wing was on too far to the right causing more lift on the right making me pitch left. To further my problem, the bbq skewer holding the wing on caught on my right aileron since the wing was in wrong making it stuck. After mounting he wing properly, I stuck it in the water only to have it not work and see smoke coming out of the esc upon pulling the power pod out... I decided to buy a lot of 4 cheapo 30 amp esc’s off of eBay for $17! We’ll see how they hold up... The ones I ruined were “expensive” emax ones. Ohh well... so back to my point, my standard sized ft planes are down so I flew my champ. There was a little bit of a breeze and since he Champ is so light it can’t handle much wind. After some really sketchy flying and crashes, I decided to quit for the day... better luck tomorrow. Glad to hear you’re improving tons! Flying is so much fun!
It is fun when you see the progression of skill set on a solid airframe. Especially now since it seems to be going so well. In the past it was frustrating. The building was going really well but flying was the problem. I just made the wrong choices in airframes and went through a lot of planes to find my groove. Like I said I should have done the explorer a long time ago. Now as my skill set gets dialed in I am always looking forward, almost to far, to the next build to see what I can fly next. I take one plane up a few times and almost get bored with it before I even try new piloting skills before I am looking for something else to fly... crazy addicting hobby right

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What do you know about the DXe mixing. I have the program on my laptop and the cord to connect it all up. I have done the elevon mixing before with ease, I just haven't seen the rudder/elevator mix yet
Look for "V" Tail mixing! Elevons mixing is elevator and aileron whereas 'V" tail mixing is the same thing but mixing the elevator and rudder!

If no one else answers I can look it up for you!

have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Look for "V" Tail mixing! Elevons mixing is elevator and aileron whereas 'V" tail mixing is the same thing but mixing the elevator and rudder!

If no one else answers I can look it up for you!

have fun!
Thx I'll take a closer look

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It is fun when you see the progression of skill set on a solid airframe. Especially now since it seems to be going so well. In the past it was frustrating. The building was going really well but flying was the problem. I just made the wrong choices in airframes and went through a lot of planes to find my groove. Like I said I should have done the explorer a long time ago. Now as my skill set gets dialed in I am always looking forward, almost to far, to the next build to see what I can fly next. I take one plane up a few times and almost get bored with it before I even try new piloting skills before I am looking for something else to fly... crazy addicting hobby right
Right! Have you flown the scout successfully yet?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Right! Have you flown the scout successfully yet?
I haven't yet no. Not that I have tried either. I was on going to on Saturday but my ESC broke the ground connection at the XT60 plug and I was out of commission to do the change over from a power pod to the dedicated firewall. I really wanted to try it there. I may do it tomorrow now that the ESC is fixed. Get one of the kids to film it.

Do you fly the Minis?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I haven't yet no. Not that I have tried either. I was on going to on Saturday but my ESC broke the ground connection at the XT60 plug and I was out of commission to do the change over from a power pod to the dedicated firewall. I really wanted to try it there. I may do it tomorrow now that the ESC is fixed. Get one of the kids to film it.

Do you fly the Minis?
Actually the only mini I’ve done is the mini guinea, but the electronics belong to a friend. I have built several (3) long ez’s and a sparrow though that haven’t flown - yet😉