FT Flyer - Scratch Build

JTI

Just Throw It
FT Flyer Tiles short parts.

I printed out the 6 page tiles and cut mine out.
Only got half a wing.
I used the half wing and traced it twice onto a new board to make a full wing.

Hope to see you guys at NEF

kendrick57

FT Flyer plans

hi
this is my first post so please excuse if I get things wrong.
first I printed out the tiled plans and the full plans in tiled format and tried to fit them together. I did not get good results so I went to a local printing shop with very big printers (up to size A0) to get the full size plans printed off there (one sheet no matching small sheets and taping them together), there was no problem in getting the plans printed ( the cost was £4.50) but the plans were huge size A0 and not arranged to make as economic use of the foamboard, this resulted in me using 2 sheets to cut out the parts, you may not think that very expensive but I'm from the UK and the cheapest foamboard I have found is three times the price it is in the US.
I decided to rearrange the parts on the full size plans so they fitted on to 1 sheet of foam board after some testing in different computer programs I found one that worked. The reworked plans are at the end of this post.
for those with access to large printers the plans fit on an A1 sheet of paper or 9 sheets of A4. the main thing is the parts are laid out to make best use of the foamboard.
I will be doing the same thing for the other plans that have been posted by Flite Test I will also post them online for anyone to download.
kendrick

Attachments

• FT-Flyer-Swappable-FULL PLANS 20x30.pdf
    46.2 KB · Views: 71

Winglet

Hope your build goes well. It really is a super little airplane and I enjoyed building mine. Welcome to the club!

frogman

What happens when I get a free afternoon on a weekend with lots of DTFB around. BAM.

20140607_180323_zpskl8lpoh8.jpg

I wanted something easy and fun to take along when I got flying. My hope is to have an extra transmitter along and when kids and parents walk by ask if they would like to fly and whip it out an buddy box with them. Not to mention it is supposed to be a great fun little flyer.

Only question I have is does it really need landing gear? I had no luck with landing gear on my FT3D. It just leaned over and dragged a wing trying to take off. I suppose I could try the ones I made up for the FT3D and see if they work. Or maybe just some foam skids on the bottom to protect the battery on landing.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Only question I have is does it really need landing gear? I had no luck with landing gear on my FT3D. It just leaned over and dragged a wing trying to take off. I suppose I could try the ones I made up for the FT3D and see if they work. Or maybe just some foam skids on the bottom to protect the battery on landing.

I never add landing gear to my planes because I always hand launch and land in tall grass. Just like David, I have no use for it.

If you're careful with your landings then you don't need landing gear. But adding something to help protect the battery is a great idea.

frogman

I never add landing gear to my planes because I always hand launch and land in tall grass. Just like David, I have no use for it.

If you're careful with your landings then you don't need landing gear. But adding something to help protect the battery is a great idea.

I did add some little foam skids a little taller than my battery. Looks kinda weird but it protects the battery. Got to fly it today and I see why everyone loves this thing. Not dual rates, no expo. My friend tossed it into the air and it flew great. He's a great pilot and loved it as well. Sure it's limited at 3ch but dang it flies nice and high alpha landings are a blast. I think I burned half a battery trying to drag the tail skid in the grass and taking off but never did it. I did manage a number of high alpha landings that just settled the tail down into the grass. It's going to be a great trainer for people. The plan is to throw it in the car with an extra transmitter and buddy cord. Then when people come by to watch I can ask if they want to fly and whip it out. Should be fun. My second FT plane and neither has disappointed. Love these machines. They are too much fun.

I printed and taped together the Spitfire plans today. I have everything ready to build it. Just need the time now.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Frogman it is not limited to 3ch as you can add ailerons and go 4ch.

frogman

Oh, I've read about the 4ch and that is in my plans. I'm going to enjoy it this way for a little while....maybe whack it around a little and then rebuild it with 4ch next time. It's definitely in my plans.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
rcrc
Have you test glided it that way or flown it that way? If not at least test glided and found it to be ok I would do that and see if it is tail heavy and if a poor glide test add weight to the nose to get cg better.

mymaps

Hi guys,

Here another FT Flyer lover, its awesome! though I still didn't get to land it ... mine goes surface-air-crash :)

I've just seen this video "Beginner Indoor Planes" Youtube link and I'm wondering if some of you can weight your models AUW as flown, because I see I wouldn't be able to fly mine so smooth as Josh in the video, maybe I need to cut down a bit the weight.

How much is your AUW and scale (100% from original, etc)? Thanks!

JAIME

JAIME FONTES
FLYER BRASIL

MUIIIITO BOM! ESTOU ME DELICIANDO AQUI NO RIO DE JANEIRO COM O FLYER E O NUTBALL , CHAMAM A A TENÇÃO E TEM VOOS ÓTIMOS. SÃO AEROMODELOS PARA UM VÕO DESCONTRAÍDO PARA BRINCAR, POIS TEM EXCELENTE PLANEIO E VÕO LENTO QUANDO NECESSÁRIO. BRINQUEI A MAIOR PARTE COM MEIO ACELERADOR OU MENOS E COM VENTO DE MÉDIO PARA FORTE E SE COMPORTARAM MUITÍSSIMO BEM! OS PONTOS FRACOS SÃO O TREM DE POUSO E RODAS FRACOS QUEBRANDO A HÉLICE NOS POUSOS RESOLVIDO COM ARAME MAIS GROSSO E SE ERRAR A ENTELAGEM TIRA PEDAÇO DA SUPERFÍCIE, MAIS NADA QUE PREOCUPE!
OS KIT SÃO COMPLETOS, MENOS ELETRÔNICA, É O QUE ELES MOSTRAM 100% VERDADE!
SÃO MUITO DIFERENTES E CHAMAM A ATENÇÃO POR ONDE PASSAM, APELIDARAM O MEU NUTBALL DE PIZZA! 2014-08-17 14.24.11.jpg NUTBALL.jpg

Attachments

• FLYER3.jpg
    FLYER3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 215

33joe

Hi

this is my build:

P1060001.JPG P1060031.JPG

iit is not nice, but still flies very good.
I added KF step for some little bit left, and later I made a new powerpod.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Mine seem to work best with a 500mah 3s.

Edit: In the build video you can see Josh B. using a 500mah

Best regards,
PCH

Last edited: