FT Master Series "Warbird" Kits

P40VRP

Which of the current FT Master Series "Warbird" kits (P-47, P-51, Corsair, Spitfire, and P-38) is the easiest build?
Perhaps easiest is the wrong word; perhaps "least difficult" is a more accurate term. Looking for your experienced opinions. Thank you!

The Fopster

Master member
In the past John Overstreet has said the P47 is easiest, but new ones have been released since then so things may have changed.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I've built them all (a couple more than once!) and would put in my vote for the P-51. The fuselage bulkheads come together more easily, and the pushrod support beats the P-47. I'd stay away from the P-38 for a while; those booms have to be rolled really tightly. However, with patience, any of them are doable.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve only done the Corsair and P-38 so far, and I much preferred the P-38 build. As @CrshNBrn said it’s a challenging build, but take it slowly and it’ll turn out. Actually I built it before the Corsair, so it was my first MS build. Plus it flies AMAZING!

helichuck

Hi Everyone!! Chuck here!

I got the Master series P-47, and I am wondering where everyone gets their decals?

Also , has anyone made or printed or found a dummy engine insert??

Thanks,

Chuck

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I got the Master series P-47, and I am wondering where everyone gets their decals?
I picked up some sticker printer sheets so I can print out stuff, cut it out, then apply it.
Also , has anyone made or printed or found a dummy engine insert??/QUOTE]
I have seen a few around here on the forum, you could search around here and/or places like thingaverse and should be able to find something. if you need one for a specific plane, it shouldn't be to had to model something up.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Which of the current FT Master Series "Warbird" kits (P-47, P-51, Corsair, Spitfire, and P-38) is the easiest build?
Perhaps easiest is the wrong word; perhaps "least difficult" is a more accurate term. Looking for your experienced opinions. Thank you!
I've built the Corsair and P-38 and would agree with @The Hangar , the P-38 was a really good build
1619788742841.png

CrshNBrn

Elite member

Thanks,

Chuck

Callie Graphics can let you personalize your foamboard planes. You just have to figure out the scale- there's an explanation on their website. This was my take on Robert Johnson's P-47 back when it was new. Hope you enjoy flying yours as much as I have!

Attachments

• 20200521_050320.jpg
    20200521_050320.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

Thanks,

Chuck
I have a 30" vinyl cutter so I can do my own cut stuff but I also work at a Sign?Vinyl shop so I can get stuff printed if I need. A local shop should be able to help you out with what you need , If you know what you want and sizes I can probably help you out with vector files so that you could save yourself some $$. Here is my MS Corsair wrapped in blue vinyl with cut vinyl laid on top , and yes those cowling white pieces were placed one at a time LOL.
IMG_20210430_174102850.jpg
IMG_20210430_172829010.jpg
IMG_20210430_172902937.jpg

IOWAOPIE

I've built them all (a couple more than once!) and would put in my vote for the P-51. The fuselage bulkheads come together more easily, and the pushrod support beats the P-47. I'd stay away from the P-38 for a while; those booms have to be rolled really tightly. However, with patience, any of them are doable.
yeah the P-38 i build was one of the first kits they released, The booms are oh such a PITA. The little marking on them are hard to find too. When i test hopped it, it was a big handfull to fly. After taking it apart and setting everything again, I finally able was to fly it without too much effort. But it never was enjoyable for me. i ended up stripping it all down and stealing its guts for the Guinea Pig. Cool plane though and I will reorder the kit again so i can build it better then last time. I also built the Corsair and that was a pain. Too many sections that you have to get perfect. thats just my 2 cents.....