FT Mighty Mini T-28 Trojan is available!

Test Fly RC

Elite member
I got a mm T-28 at Flite Fest, I still have to build it yet!

I wish I would have gotten a FT Waco glider there, hopefully Flite Test will release it on their store soon!

Maybe @The Hangar will make a video about the Waco Glider! Hopefully.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I got a mm T-28 at Flite Fest, I still have to build it yet!

I wish I would have gotten a FT Waco glider there, hopefully Flite Test will release it on their store soon!

Maybe @The Hangar will make a video about the Waco Glider! Hopefully.
I’ll plan on it! Maybe I can trace the parts out and give you the copy when I come and visit!

Aslansmonkey

I'm on my second mighty mini T-28 Trojan build right now and I will note a couple things...

1) The wing spar is kind of weak. I've build the Zero, the Corsair and the Hellcat too and by far the Trojan's spar is the weakest. The reason I am on the second build is because the wing folded on the maiden flight of my first one due to the weak spar. Thankfully, Flite Test was kind enough to replace the kit for me. For my second build I had someone laser cut a carbon fiber spar to augment the wood spar (I'm using both), which should add enough strength. Should you build this kit, do something to strengthen the spar.

2) The optional landing gear aren't. Aren't optional, I mean. There's no mention of them on Flite Tests store site and nothing included in the kit except the landing gear wire (which I think is just standard in that little envelope). John's video covers the parts and how to install them, but they don't exist as far as I can tell...

...so I eyeballed what John shows in the video and designed my own to be 3D printed. I basically copied John's designs as shown in the video so credit to him for the design of the pieces. The 3D parts are linked below and be used in the exact same way as shown in the build video, should you wish to use them. I even threw in a 3D printed wheel. I'm still building mine so I'll throw in a photo when I'm done.

3D Printed "Optional" landing gear parts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4978181

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
I'm on my second T-18 Trojan build right now and I will note a couple things...

1) The wing spar is kind of weak. I've build the Zero, the Corsair and the Hellcat too and by far the Trojan's spar is the weakest. The reason I am on the second build is because the wing folded on the maiden flight of my first one due to the weak spar. Thankfully, Flite Test was kind enough to replace the kit for me. For my second build I had someone laser cut a carbon fiber spar to augment the wood spar (I'm using both), which should add enough strength. Should you build this kit, do something to strengthen the spar.

2) The optional landing gear aren't. Aren't optional, I mean. There's no mention of them on Flite Tests store site and nothing included in the kit except the landing gear wire (which I think is just standard in that little envelope). John's video covers the parts and how to install them, but they don't exist as far as I can tell...

...so I eyeballed what John shows in the video and designed my own to be 3D printed. I basically copied John's designs as shown in the video so credit to him for the design of the pieces. The 3D parts are linked below and be used in the exact same way as shown in the build video, should you wish to use them. I even threw in a 3D printed wheel. I'm still building mine so I'll throw in a photo when I'm done.

3D Printed "Optional" landing gear parts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4978181
This thread is on the Mighty Mini t28, not the normal one.

Aslansmonkey

This thread is on the Mighty Mini t28, not the normal one.
Ooops, I had the wrong thing in my original post (which I corrected). These parts ARE for the Mighty Mini T-28 Trojan.

My curiosity had me looking up to see if there actually was a T-18, as I mistyped it, however. Turns out there was an LINK AN-T-18 trainer used by the navy back in the late 30's. It was an early flight simulator that looked a lot like those quarter rides you find outside a Walmart.

Attached are photos of my original T-28, one before the maiden flight and two afterwards.

Attachments

• 20210828_174623.jpg
    20210828_174623.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210925_163419.jpg
    20210925_163419.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210925_163437.jpg
    20210925_163437.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Aslansmonkey

Replacement T-28 Trojan finished (though I've yet to maiden it). I included one of the landing gear. To be honest the front gear has a little bit of wiggle showing that I didn't secure it in the mount as well as I should have. This would bother me except I'm not very good at actually landing these things on their wheels anyway so I doubt it will make a difference for me.

Attachments

• 20211001_152836.jpg
    20211001_152836.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211001_152846.jpg
    20211001_152846.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211001_152857.jpg
    20211001_152857.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 0

Aslansmonkey

It's all fun and games, until someone looses orientation in the waning sunlight and flies into the tallest tree in the area. The Trojan is about 100 feet up. Unless the wind helps me out over the next few days, this bird is a loss.

But hey, if flew really well for about 10 minutes before this happened!

Attachments

• Treed.jpg
    Treed.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
After about a week in the tree, the winds were kind to me and blew it out. It took some damage to the wing tips and vertical stabilizer in the fall, but it's all repairable. The battery was toast, of course, but I believe the other electronics are fine!
Great!

Jade_Monkey07

It's all fun and games, until someone looses orientation in the waning sunlight and flies into the tallest tree in the area. The Trojan is about 100 feet up. Unless the wind helps me out over the next few days, this bird is a loss.

But hey, if flew really well for about 10 minutes before this happened!
Oh jeez that sucks. This happened to me a few days ago and I had all my roped and climbing gear out and setup to go up and get it but the wind gods favored me and sent it down to my feet before I got very far.

Burnhard

Maidened this one the last weekend. This was my first SBK and I have to say it has been a great joy to build the Trojan. Build video was ver helpful. Also, compared to scratch building, the lasser cutting of the SBK parts helps a lot as it melts about a millimeter of the foam under the cardboard which makes it much easier to get the parts together.

The only trouble I experienced was when painting the model. The water resistent foam board did not take my spray paint well. Although I scuffed up all the surfaces prior to painting, the paint came off when pulling of the masks (I am using Tamiya tape for that). Suggest to use a good primer prior to painting.

Attachments

• E41393BB-562F-41A2-97B1-0C1DDA7DE76B.jpeg
    E41393BB-562F-41A2-97B1-0C1DDA7DE76B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

DbleDuce

Got back from my maiden about 2 minutes ago... folded the wing over on the 4th flight.:eek:

Let me say that, yes, while the wing spare could use beefing up (which I will do on the rebuild) I got very over confident very quickly because this plane flew AWESOME from the very first flight. A bit of trim and I was off and running...err..flying.

If you do not beef up the spar I would recommend not attempting snap rolls and make sure your loops are nice and easy.;)

Flew it with an Emax 1806/2280 motor, BLHELI 12a ESC and 3s battery. Combination worked pretty well.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Got back from my maiden about 2 minutes ago... folded the wing over on the 4th flight.:eek:

Let me say that, yes, while the wing spare could use beefing up (which I will do on the rebuild) I got very over confident very quickly because this plane flew AWESOME from the very first flight. A bit of trim and I was off and running...err..flying.

If you do not beef up the spar I would recommend not attempting snap rolls and make sure your loops are nice and easy.;)

Flew it with an Emax 1806/2280 motor, BLHELI 12a ESC and 3s battery. Combination worked pretty well.
You broke the plywood spar? Dang. I guess I'll be adding a second ply spar.