FT Mini Corsair Paper Replacement Kit

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Ah yes, another project of mine that was derailed by the lure of Flite Fest and the Gotha Gaggle. lol!
I need to find out where I left off and go from there. If memory serves me right (and it rarely does) We were in the final tweaking stages. If this is so, it should not take much to finish this off. Looking at my current schedule and crystal ball, I would say no later than 3 weeks and it should be done. Yeah I know...3 weeks!! I get vacation in one plus I have a zillion other projects (I have a house and a wife) so yeah, 3 weeks. :)

FunkyPops

Ah yes, another project of mine that was derailed by the lure of Flite Fest and the Gotha Gaggle. lol!
I need to find out where I left off and go from there. If memory serves me right (and it rarely does) We were in the final tweaking stages. If this is so, it should not take much to finish this off. Looking at my current schedule and crystal ball, I would say no later than 3 weeks and it should be done. Yeah I know...3 weeks!! I get vacation in one plus I have a zillion other projects (I have a house and a wife) so yeah, 3 weeks. :)

that would be awesome!! I personally like the Marine version. Family comes first though, better to enjoy them. (I'm separated and lost the house but I know how it is)

Excellent job Funkypops! You should post this on the "Old Crow" threads as well.

Thanks a lot. It was pure joy for me.
I'll take a few pics and post like you suggest.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but how are you protecting the skins? Polyurethane spray of some kind?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
some sort of spray sanding sealer or art fixative is good if you printed with inkjet - if you have a laser printer, don't really need anything - it's already pretty well color fast

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
if you have a laser printer, don't really need anything - it's already pretty well color fast

That's not entirely true -- while Laser prints do plasticize the top layer of the paper with toner, I've yet to find a laser printer with a white toner cartridge.

Any white space (and some of the lightest dithered colors) are still exposed to the elements and the paper is subject to the shrink-swell that causes the DTFB designs to delaminate. This method does have the advantage of being *actually* glued to the foam instead on melted on, but spray adhesives like -77 will not penetrate either surface deeply and the foam bond is still fairly weak.

There were plenty of delam issues with the gotha gaggle, but you can't chalk those up to inkjets. I had a delam in flight (V-stab) and mine were laser printed . . . but my pattern also had a lot of white in it.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
That's not entirely true -- while Laser prints do plasticize the top layer of the paper with toner, I've yet to find a laser printer with a white toner cartridge.

Any white space (and some of the lightest dithered colors) are still exposed to the elements and the paper is subject to the shrink-swell that causes the DTFB designs to delaminate. This method does have the advantage of being *actually* glued to the foam instead on melted on, but spray adhesives like -77 will not penetrate either surface deeply and the foam bond is still fairly weak.

There were plenty of delam issues with the gotha gaggle, but you can't chalk those up to inkjets. I had a delam in flight (V-stab) and mine were laser printed . . . but my pattern also had a lot of white in it.

I just received a couple different types of wax that are designed to waterproof paper and seal in inkjet inks. I'm hoping that they will penetrate the paper well and hopefully hold up better in humid environments. May even be able to do the same thing to toner printed paper if applied to the back side before gluing things down. As long as it doesn't interfere with the glue I think the idea is sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Judikins-GT026-Micro-Glaze-1-Ounce/dp/B004M5B3NM

https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Holtz...1_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DTBZ9TH014Z93C8W1AW2

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I just received a couple different types of wax that are designed to waterproof paper and seal in inkjet inks. I'm hoping that they will penetrate the paper well and hopefully hold up better in humid environments. May even be able to do the same thing to toner printed paper if applied to the back side before gluing things down. As long as it doesn't interfere with the glue I think the idea is sound.

Interesting . . . those do look promising. If it's a wax, I'm not sure you'd want to apply it on the adhesive side -- it's pretty common to use liquid waxes as a mold release to keep glues/resins from curing to the molds -- but I can see this working well to seal up what the laser printer leaves exposed.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences with it!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Interesting . . . those do look promising. If it's a wax, I'm not sure you'd want to apply it on the adhesive side -- it's pretty common to use liquid waxes as a mold release to keep glues/resins from curing to the molds -- but I can see this working well to seal up what the laser printer leaves exposed.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences with it!

Yeah, think I'll just do a bunch of test prints of varying types, glue them on, and expose to humidity. I know wax and glue don't generally get along, but am hoping that hot glue will at least still work. Should melt the wax and still bind with the paper.... In theory...

Spyder91

I think this is awesome!
Any chance that you could post the versions that you currently have created?
I am going to be building a corsair just after Christmas, and would really like to utilize the printed forms.
Thanks Rasterize, for all of your hard work!

Jaybird14

I've been searching for a complete set of these skins and am failing. Please give me direction or a link.

Thanks!!!!
Jay

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
My apologies guys. I am literally loading up a 26 ft truck next week and moving 2,300 miles!. Needless to say I've been busy with so much more to do! I have not worked on anything RC in 6 months and it looks like it may be a few more before I get back into the our crazy hobby.

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Wait no more. The latest version can be found here.

Nice!! Thank you so much. I Crashed my corsair some weeks ago because of RC failure (Orange receiver, i will post)

So the next will be a corsair with your wonderfull skins. perfect for my self made Foam board.

jaredstrees

Awesome!!!!! The mini corsair is my favorite of the minis. Just finished one for FFS. Once I destroy it I'll be making one from these!

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
haha These are pretty sweet skins indeed! Well played Rasterize!
-Jaredstrees! Looking forward to having you at FFS my friend! ENJOY that corsair.. ill keep an eye out for it! ;)

Blessings,
Stefan