FT Mini Mustang Paper Replacement Kit

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Started my MMustang build. Did most of the gluing using the 3M77. I did have some issues with the foam deforming on my wings:( I did spray onto the paper first, then waited a bit, then put it down on the foam. I'm guessing I didn't wait long enough or I used too much. I waited probably 20-30 seconds. It was pretty cold in the garage so I might have rushed it. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions? Most of the smaller pieces are find. I'm thinking I'll head to staples for another print and try it again. Any input is appreciated.

You're using way too much glue. At that point of saturation you start gaining weight in addition to melting things. I'very done a bunch of playing with 3M 77, and you probably need to use a third of what you did.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Agreed, probably a bit too heavy handed on the 77 but also being in a cold garage... warmer temps will help the acetone to evaporate faster. Try giving it more time to dry if you have to use the garage.

Fan o' the foam

Hi, I'm new to the forum but wanted to express my appreciation for your skillful work on the "Old Crow" skin. I have been building a LOT of FT scratch builds since I got into RC about 2 years ago, but usually don't take the time to paint or decorate them. When I came across your article I was really impressed. I immediately downloaded and printed them out (really appreciate the 11x17 format), got a can of Super77, and went to town. I had just finished building my first Mini Mustang, and as you suggested, it really helped when it came time to make score cuts, fold, etc. After I finished the Old Crow, I just had to complete the look with at least some form of landing gear. The best news was that I took both planes out for their maiden flights this afternoon, and am happy to report that they both took off and flew beautifully! Thanks again, and I hope to see more "skins" in the future...

Fan o' the foam

Image.jpg

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Nice work Fan o'! I'm so please that you enjoyed the Old Crow and that you found the 11X17 format helpful. I hope to be adding a few other color schemes soon. Keep on flying!

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
Has anyone built the Old Crow from the 8.5X11 size file? If so, how was your build experience?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Has anyone built the Old Crow from the 8.5X11 size file? If so, how was your build experience?

I started... But the nozzle on my can of Super 77 is gummed up. Didn't spray it out after last use... So, I need something to clean it out, or I need to buy another can. I'll let you know how it goes.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Maiden mine today. Will upload the video later.

It all started well, beautiful day with light winds and blue skys.

image.jpeg

It started with a scary high power torque roll that I quickly saved and trimmed the roll out. Flew really well with rolls and loops. Then it either stalled or the battery shifted and it raced to the scene of the CRASH.

image.jpeg

It looks bad but is totally fixable.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

mrwis@yahoo.com

image.jpeg

Nearly done. Won't be able to maiden it till spring. Too much snow.

For those interested in weight with the paper wrap mine weighed in at 207g without the prop, rx, and battery.

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
Nice job on the Old Crow MrWis! Spring will be here before you know it. Can't wait for some flight video! :)

akarmy

Built my first "test" airframe. No electronics. As predicted I learned a few things and refined my templates during the test build. Glad I did it. Hopefully by next weekend I'll try out a final skinned build.

Here's the Mini Mustang with his big brother.

IMG_4956.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
Sweet pic! Where was it taken? You'll have to re-do it with your finished build. :)

akarmy

Sweet pic! Where was it taken? You'll have to re-do it with your finished build. :)

That's my full-scale RV-8 which many people call the poor man's Mustang! I was flying to see a friend who wanted to see the mini mustang so he got a free ride in the baggage compartment for his first flight. :)

IMG_4971.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
My newest P51. Tuskegee Airman Lt. Col. Bob Friend P51 Named "Bunny".
More here.

TA1.jpg