FT Mini Speedster Build (Mighty Minis)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I wasn't exactly trying to fly straight and level ;) I was experimenting with the low vs. high throws (didn't notice a big difference) and just kind of having fun pushing it's limits to see what it would take and where it would stall.

That said...it doesn't handle wind nearly as well as my bigger foamies. But it did remind me a lot of my old fogey (I haven't built a full size speedster yet, printed the plans but haven't got around to building it.) in how it handled - meaning if I let off the sticks and left the throttle at cruise it kind of just wanted to circle by itself. (I probably should have added a touch of trim to correct it a bit.)

Here's my last flight (It's called 3rd but really it was more like 6th or 7th, it was just the 3rd one I got video of and the 3rd pack I flew) I was trying to do some very low very slow passes and a few more stable passes. But by this point the wind was starting to pick up so it was getting trickier. Even so I was able to do a few walking speed flybys about 4' off the ground which is something I haven't been able to do with any of my other FT planes.

I was also having a few CG issues that got worse as I went. I had to mount my pack on the bit of foam the landing gear mounts to...but after pulling off the first battery it took the paper and velcro with it - so on the rest of my flights my pack was just kind of wedged in place and occasionally shifted. I found it was really sensitive about the CG - moving the pack just 1/4" one way or the other made a big difference in how it flew.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a first plane. It's very easy to fly, but the CG is kind of tricky to get right and it's a lot of work to build compared to something like a FT Flyer which flies similarly.

But man does it look a lot better in the air than the Flyer :D

If you do use it as a first plane I'd suggest going even a little lower on the throws than suggested (or going in another notch from where I did on the servo arms - I may try switching those before I fly it again) and some expo would probably help a lot.

brian79cj

It's not his first plane but his first build. He has flown my Apprentise, buddy boxed, and he gets a lot out of his Ember2 (more than I can). I will be building a Scout along with him. I've built a few of the FT planes.

ttprigg

WIN_20141122_180307.JPG
We went through a battery but it was really too windy... (left 1/2 a prop at the field):eek:
When I saw the piece on the poster-board plan, I just glued it on. The funny thing was, I did not see the piece when we built the full-size version and I just cut a scrap.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah, that was about the best position I could think of for that piece...but it still didn't quite look right to me. It doesn't look bad, but I think I'll stick to the bugs in the pilots teeth look for now ;)

Wind definitely is not the mini's friend. It wasn't very windy this morning, but there was a reason I only flew 3 of the 4 packs I had and only flew 1/4 of a pack on the FT-22 I finally got in the air as well. Was a good morning for me with planes, great maiden on the mini and good 1st flight for the FT-22 (it had it's maiden a few weeks ago but it only lasted about 30 seconds as I forgot to give the elevons a bit of upwards set and then got disoriented as I couldn't tell the top from the bottom when I rolled due to the angle of the sun.) Sadly my knuckle quad didn't have a good morning but that was my own fault. Just wish I had made sure my camera was rolling as it was a spectacular pieces flying everywhere crash I missed catching on video :( But it's already repaired and ready to fly again if I get any time tomorrow morning!

ttprigg

So sorry to hear about your knuckle quad- I am "assembling" the components for a "first" quad and the plans printed... I am using the e-max 1804 on my mini and I am really impressed. What are you using/recommending? I printed plans, and purchased a multiWiii board 6 months ago and sadly have not gone further...
The FT-22 may be my all-around favorite. Easy to cut, quick to build, fast and fun to fly. I have been using the black cardstock on the cockpit cover to aid in the orientation (and then layers of extreme packing tape on the nose to repair it). I noticed someone on the forum was making the nose section removable (replaceable in my mind).
Wishing you clear skies and manageable winds!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Don't feel too bad about my knuckle, it's already fixed and ready to fly again :) Nice thing about zip ties on the motors - crashes look spectacular but are easy to repair. If it wasn't for the fact I live in the desert so every crash results in motors packed full of sand I'd have been back in the air in just a few minutes. Instead I got to spend an hour last night taking my motors apart and cleaning them ;)

I have the emax 1806's on my emax 250 FPV quad as well and am really happy with them there, way better than the DYS 1806's I have on my twitchity acro 250. The DYS look like better motors at first glance...but the emax are lighter, smoother, and just flat out perform better for me. The DYS is great on the plane, but I wouldn't use them on a quad again. My knuckle started with the 24g blue wonders - but those motors don't last very long on a quad (shafts bend too easily in crashes, and bearings in them are horrible and wear out quick under the forces they experience in a quad.) I switched to some Angle 2212 1400kv's and love them - they aren't great for efficiency (my flight times went from 8-9 minutes down to 6-7 minutes) but it flies amazing and is almost as agile as my 250.

I loved the way the FT-22 looked in the air. But the motor I'm using on it is horrible. It's an L2210 1400kv from HK that was dirt cheap and I got what I paid for. It's never worked well but was what I had on hand to put in the 22. It flies...but doesn't feel like it's a 210watt motor like it's rated for. After Christmas I'll probably pick up a better motor for it.

Back on topic...I had hoped to put a few more packs through the mini this morning...but it too windy for it. Our annual balloon festival is in town and my wife and daughter went to see the mass ascension this morning - but they were grounded too due to the wind :(

Oh well, I've got too much yard work and baking to do in prep for our T-day celebration this week anyway so it's probably for the best I didn't get to fly.

hipeoples

i just finished my mini speedster yesterday and flew it today and i love it so i wanted to share my set up. keep in mind that it is heavier and over powereder :p . i got the parts off a f22 that i built the motor came of the foam and cut the plane up and thats why we dont use black foam.

motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2069__hexTronik_24gram_Brushless_Outrunner_1300kv.html
esc: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6456
servo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...p_Digital_Micro_Servo_6V_10g_1_6kg_0_07s.html (i just like these better than the hextronic both would work)
i also used 20c 1000 mah and 1300 mah battery's

i also used hinges on the elevator instead of hot glue and i used a small piece of 1/16th plywood to strengthen the two haves of the elevator because the foam seems to weak to hold that nicely.
the way i set up the power pod was the reciver on the inside with the antenna routed out and the esc on the botom for cooling.
for the battery i put hot glue on each side and smeared as much off as i could just like doing a hot glue hynge and this made it so i did not need Velcro for the battery also i put dots of glue on the balance points.
if i were to do it again i would just mount the servos sticking out the side not on the inside because that was a pain to set up also linkage stoppers would probably make it easier. (z bends are evil)

well there are my 2 cents more like 4 but i liked it so much i wanted to share it with the community.

These mini's look so cool had to build a mini speedster and maiden it this past Friday. I have to say its been my first real successful maiden. And what a great flyer!
After hand launching it it flew great, just a little trimming and wow.
Didnt get to fly it yesterday because of the rain but got it out today and I love it. After a couple of hard landings into some trees in the backyard it looks like crap but flys great. Also built a mini scout but i havent maiden it yet. Hopefully this nice weather here holds up.

Anybody have a fix or mod for the small elevator cut out section near the rudder. Been flying mine lately and noticed when I give it up or down elevator the side that has the horn moves good but the opposite side barely moves. Ive seen some add a piece of popsicle stick running across on the bigger ft models but not sure if its worth it on these minis.

Jan Chakk

Mini speedster question

Hi,

Just like to know on which plane is FT mini Speedster based on ? I have heard JB say that mini scout is kind of inspired from "Proctor Antic" and FT Cruiser is inspired from "DH Comet"...

Regards
JC

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
FT Mini Speedster - Airc Pirates Edition (Ailerons & removable Servos)

@pistolpete1982: Nice Plane & nice flight!

Here are some Pictures of my Mini Speedster with Ailerons and removable Servos:

AP_Mini Speedster_07.JPG

AP_Mini Speedster_02.JPG

AP_Mini Speedster_01.JPG

AP_Mini Speedster_08.JPG

AP_Mini Speedster_03.JPG

AP_Mini Speedster_04.JPG

AP_Mini Speedster_05.JPG

For the removable Servos look the post to my Mini Scout!

Hey nice job on that mini. Hows it fly with ailerons? Started building another one last nite. Now im thinking i should add ailerons to it.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
It was very windy today. Perhaps tomorrow i post a video of the maiden flight. I'm thinking about a new main wing like the one of the mini scout, but with the look of the speedsters main wing. So it would have longer ailerons and the dihedral of the mini scouts main wing.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Anybody have a fix or mod for the small elevator cut out section near the rudder. Been flying mine lately and noticed when I give it up or down elevator the side that has the horn moves good but the opposite side barely moves. Ive seen some add a piece of popsicle stick running across on the bigger ft models but not sure if its worth it on these minis.

Turn a piece of rod into a shape like this
|___|
and glue it with hot-glue on the elevator. Look here!

AinT

Since I am in Germany, it is hard for me to get hands on one of this kits, so I built one from depron according to the plans. I did the maiden yesterday, and it did not want to lift up even with the full elevator, and also always had a left roll, The longest was a 1 min flight of left circles. Do you guys have any idea what might be wrong?

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
@AinT:
You can buy foamboards in Germany too. They are called there Leichtschaumplatte. I buy them at my local dealer for artist materials. You can order them online at: http://www.architekturbedarf.de

I buy foamboards in 1000x700x3 mm. Here the direct link.

What is the weight of your depron-plane?
Which motor und propeller do you use?
Have you checked the center of gravity?

Have you reinforced the elevator? It may be that one side deflects more than the other. That would explain the turning flight.

Last edited:

AinT

@AircPirateNinsei:
I think you nailed it, the elevator might be a bit weak. And also thanks for the info on foamboard, if I run out of the depron pile I bought, I will give it a try.
I built mine from 6mm depron, and the weight without the battery is 130gr. I have a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2122-2100kv motor with 4.5x4.5 prop.