Scout XL - Scratch Build

Spitfire76

Does anyone have more information on the FT 17G servos ?. As I would like to design some 3d printed mounts I would like to know the dimensions but FT does not provide a data sheet just the basic 28 x 12.9 x 34.2 overall dimensions. I assume that these have an equivalent Emax or other manufacture equivalent. Also its not stated if these are analogue or digital servos.

Spitfire76

Checked with FT support and they informed me that their 17g servos are analogue. Designed and 3d printed the servo mounts. Installed wing servo during last Friday's https://aviationrcnoob.com build party (discord) and today installed the rudder and elevator servos. Just need to add the control rods.

Attachments

• 17gServoMount.stl
    14.9 KB · Views: 0

Spitfire76

IMG_3631.JPG

Spitfire76

I know this is taking awhile but I do enjoy building and I am sure I am not the only one that starts another build before completing the current build. I decided to build a Mini-Scout for my Grandson.

IMG_3663.JPG

Spitfire76

What is the wire coming out of the nose for?
The wires are from the 2 servos and tapped out of the way as I still have to get a motor, ESC and batteries for the Mini. Also, will now go with a removable wing on the XL using the method that was posted earlier in this thread.

Spitfire76

I have the Scout XL almost done. I still have to print the "plywood", and I'm waiting on the servos to arrive.

I modified it so the wing is removeable. I had several ideas of how to do so and could not decide on best course of action. I pulled out the FT Edge 540 for a side by side comparison and came up a similar setup that looks like it will be plenty strong and, relatively easy to deal with.
View attachment 231129 View attachment 231130 View attachment 231131

The wings are held in with rubber bands and skewers and it is a snug fit in the socket. The hatch has 4 popsicle sticks aligning and securing the front and the back is held with a skewer. All the skewers are reinforced with printed discs. I had to tie 2 rubber bands together to get them long enough. One band would stretch far enough, but it put way to much stress on the skewers.

BTW, there seems to be a flock of Scouts in my living room!

View attachment 231128
Well it was slightly too big to fit in my car so will be using your removable wing idea. What size or number rubber band would you say is required to securely attach the wings ?

luvmy40

Elite member
I just used the same ones that come with the short kits or SBKs from FT. I had to tie two together for each side. One would stretch enough but it was so tight it was damaging the wing.

Spitfire76

Well I finally got around to a maiden flight of this Scout XL but unfortunately it was very short. On take off the it climbed very steeply, stalled and yawed to the left while almost vertical and before I could react hit the deck nose down. Most of the front and middle portions of the fuselage are damaged beyond repair but the wings and tail section could be re-used. I had checked the CG before and if anything it was slightly nose heavy. May try to rebuild it at some stage but have some other projects (mainly 3d printable) in the works so it won't be in the near future.

Last edited:

Yankee2003

Well I finally got around to a maiden flight of this Scout XL but unfortunately it was very short. On take off the it climbed very steeply, stalled and yawed to the left while almost vertical and before I could react hit the deck nose down. Most of the front and middle portions of the fuselage are damaged beyond repair but the wings and tail section could be re-used. I had checked the CG before and if anything it was slightly nose heavy. May try to rebuild it at some stage but have some other projects (mainly 3d printable) in the works so it won't be in the near future.
That stinks…..sorry brother. She was beautifu.

Spitfire76

Rather than re-building the Scout XL I think I am going to try to upscale the FT Simple Stick for a number of reasons.
  • wings are removable so should fit in my car
  • can use the same motor, ESC and servos as the Scout XL power pack
  • Landing gear is the same
It may take awhile but will create a new build log and post the link here.

jack10525

You guys have some great building skills. I've built hundreds of scratchbuilds over the last 8 years but my builds never look that good. I just finished the Scout XL but have a problem. It won't fit in my car!!! Not sure if I figure out a way to make the wing come apart. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0949.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0949.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_0950.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0950.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 0

luvmy40

Elite member
You guys have some great building skills. I've built hundreds of scratchbuilds over the last 8 years but my builds never look that good. I just finished the Scout XL but have a problem. It won't fit in my car!!! Not sure if I figure out a way to make the wing come apart. Any suggestions?
Look at post #46 in this thread. I have a couple pics of my Scout XL with a removeable wing mod. I stole the method from the FT3D plans.