Scout XL - Scratch Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
@Spitfire76 As you have pointed out, there were many changes from my original Scout XL plans to the final production speed build kit that is now on the store. Flite Test will be releasing the official plans for free on the resources section of the forums. I'm almost finished with the new plans and should have them posted in 2 weeks or less. I will also post 3D models for the plywood parts for this version.

I should point out that the changes between the 2 versions don't really change or affect the overall look or flight characteristics of the model.

Yankee2003

I'll need to bend some 1/8" music wire (K&S 507) for the landing gear so it was an excuse to get new tool.
https://www.micromark.com/Vise-Mounted-Wire-Bender
As we have a runway at our club I usually try to add some steerable gear to my FT planes so will be working on that over the next few days.
I bought a wire bender like that last spring. At first I was frustrated with my results. But after a few attempts (much like my z-bend pliers), I got some pretty good results. That was also 1/8” wire. My input would be to be patient with your first couple bends, ideally just get used to it by bending a few practice gear with smaller diameter wire and work towards the 1/8”. 1/8” wire is pretty stout wire to bend right out of the gate. Mark where you want the bend…bend it…learn how and where the bend is in relation to the mark on the wire. I just used a sharpie. Once you get that down bending wire gear becomes quite easy. Like every new tool it just takes a minute to use effectively.
You’ll get it for sure…send a couple pictures of your first couple attempts so I feel better about my learning curve…😏

Off-topic jes

Elite member
@Spitfire76 As you have pointed out, there were many changes from my original Scout XL plans to the final production speed build kit that is now on the store. Flite Test will be releasing the official plans for free on the resources section of the forums. I'm almost finished with the new plans and should have them posted in 2 weeks or less. I will also post 3D models for the plywood parts for this version.

I should point out that the changes between the 2 versions don't really change or affect the overall look or flight characteristics of the model.
Holy moly, you have all the badges what do you do?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Holy moly, you have all the badges what do you do?
That's classified. I could tell you, but then...

Just kidding. Just a fellow fan and RC enthusiast like most folks here. I draw up the official plans for the guys at Flite Test, moderate here and on the Facebook fans page, Flite Fest Crew volunteer, and add the content to the resources page.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
That's classified. I could tell you, but then...

Just kidding. Just a fellow fan and RC hobbies like most folks here. I draw up the officoal plans for the guys at Flite Test, moderate here and on the Facebook fans page, Flite Fest Crew volunteer, and add the content to the resources page.
super cool!

Spitfire76

For the main landing gear the SBK does include plywood doublers but I'll be using the 3d printed ScoutXL gear plate which is sandwiched between the foam "gear tab". Also the SBK uses 2 pieces of wire as I believe the FT wire comes in 15" lengths so would not be long enough to bend it in one piece but I have 36" of 1/8" wire so will make it in one piece as per @SP0NZ 's plan. Now that plan has it bent in 2", 10", 10" and 2" inch sections but in SBK video Josh is using 9" instead of 10" for those sections.

Spitfire76

@SP0NZ - that's great to hear that the SBK plans will soon be available. I am really enjoying this build so thanks for putting the idea and plans out there in the first place.

Spitfire76

Designed and 3d printed a steerable tail wheel.

Attachments

• 7C452FBA-F537-4E30-AC39-D033F7208148.jpeg
    7C452FBA-F537-4E30-AC39-D033F7208148.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

luvmy40

Elite member
Cutting Sheet 6 on the needle cutter now. Hopefully I'll have time to build this weekend.

Does anyone think I might be OK using 9g metal gear servos on this? I don't have any 17g servos.