FT Vectors, with Direction and Magnitude!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
ahh
yes, it is the first
thanks for the clarification
It is never late to learn something
What type of flying do you like to do?

I like fast and maneuverable airframes but i tend to crash them a lot. I built 4 versions of the FT-22 because of it. I like the prop in slot jets because they are so adaptable. You can slow fly them if you move the CG back or have a rocket if you move it forward.

Javiester

Elite member
What type of flying do you like to do?

I like fast and maneuverable airframes but i tend to crash them a lot. I built 4 versions of the FT-22 because of it. I like the prop in slot jets because they are so adaptable. You can slow fly them if you move the CG back or have a rocket if you move it forward.

I've only been in this for a year
I still consider myself a rookie even though I don't tear apart so much
I usually fly quietly circling and little else
although baby brit made me go into a trance
I had three of them
I will build it again
Now I want to try other models

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've only been in this for a year
I still consider myself a rookie even though I don't tear apart so much
I usually fly quietly circling and little else
although baby brit made me go into a trance
I had three of them
I will build it again
Now I want to try other models
What's your favorite plane you have flown so far?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Got the other wing half cut out, right now the spar is drying. I'll be ironing the edges after I put the kfm step on the wing.
IMG_20200105_160329109.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wing is cut out and prepped. At 130% I knew it wasn't gonna get on one sheet so I did the split across the plate kinda like in the build vid, front half and back half. Gave me to opportunity to sink a couple skewer spars in as well...
20200106_011337.jpg

I did find at this size that it was almost a 33" wingspan which didn't fit on a sheet either so I trimmed the wing tips down by just over 1.5" each to get it to easily be cut out, and I will compensate this by adding wing tip fences to reduce wash out and making the entire wingspan effective. Plus it may up the cool factor by a notch or two in the aesthetics department.

I still have yet to figure out how I want to laminate the KFm step to the top of the wing. I did this same thing to my 22's and wasn't really impressed with the way spray adhesive held up. I have glued them together with the paper on the FB, and off the FB where they mate up, and they always delaminated after a few flights. @Grifflyer mentioned using Titebond to do the job and I do want to try it out, does it work best with or without the paper in between?

I also watched this vid by FT where the premise is the FT-22 vs Vector, the one with the boxing gloves on the planes, and Peter mentioned the canards are just for looks with no real necessary function. If this is true I might rock this thing canardless. Thoughts?!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wing is cut out and prepped. At 130% I knew it wasn't gonna get on one sheet so I did the split across the plate kinda like in the build vid, front half and back half. Gave me to opportunity to sink a couple skewer spars in as well... View attachment 153495
I did find at this size that it was almost a 33" wingspan which didn't fit on a sheet either so I trimmed the wing tips down by just over 1.5" each to get it to easily be cut out, and I will compensate this by adding wing tip fences to reduce wash out and making the entire wingspan effective. Plus it may up the cool factor by a notch or two in the aesthetics department.

I still have yet to figure out how I want to laminate the KFm step to the top of the wing. I did this same thing to my 22's and wasn't really impressed with the way spray adhesive held up. I have glued them together with the paper on the FB, and off the FB where they mate up, and they always delaminated after a few flights. @Grifflyer mentioned using Titebond to do the job and I do want to try it out, does it work best with or without the paper in between?

I also watched this vid by FT where the premise is the FT-22 vs Vector, the one with the boxing gloves on the planes, and Peter mentioned the canards are just for looks with no real necessary function. If this is true I might rock this thing canardless. Thoughts?!
I found titebond works best without paper. The cg would change a bit if you got rid of the canards so be prepared for that, it would be cool if you went without canards because then we'd be on very different ends of the spectrum, you going canardless and me with a full flying canard. It'd be interesting to see how much of a difference there is between our planes.

Javiester

Elite member
2nd FT Vector test with BR2205 2300kv engine and 5045 tri-blade propeller with 4S battery

much better, it tends to pick up on the right, the foam board is slightly twisted
but it seems that I have managed to correct it by moving the control surface a little

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
2nd FT Vector test with BR2205 2300kv engine and 5045 propeller with 4S battery

much better, it tends to pick up on the right, the foam board is slightly twisted
but it seems that I have managed to correct it by moving the control surface a little
Bueno flight there compadre! Seems a bit quicker. Almost thought you lost it right before the landing, nice save. How are you liking it?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@BATTLEAXE on my eaf edge wing and my 2D 3D bipe wings, I stripped the paper off one side, misted the foam underneath, and spread white gorilla glue on the side with paper. It worked well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE on my eaf edge wing and my 2D 3D bipe wings, I stripped the paper off one side, misted the foam underneath, and spread white gorilla glue on the side with paper. It worked well.
Ok cool, I might do the one sheet of paper thing and use the glue I have. It is LePage's Contractor grade wood glue so it has a good soak in and tack factor.