Ft viggen group build!

Don Don

Building a Viggen. Have watched David's excellent build video but am perplexed as I have a part I did not see in the video and I can't figure out what it is for. It is on the same sheet as the EDF mounts. A rather large piece with tapers at both ends and four cut out slots for connecting tabs. Help please...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Building a Viggen. Have watched David's excellent build video but am perplexed as I have a part I did not see in the video and I can't figure out what it is for. It is on the same sheet as the EDF mounts. A rather large piece with tapers at both ends and four cut out slots for connecting tabs. Help please...
Awesome - the viggen is a sweet airplane! I believe you’re talking about the piece that will hold the swappable power pod if you’re going that route. If you’re making it as an EDF, then you don’t need that piece.

Last edited:

Don Don

Thank you both. I was thinking along that line. How did you get some colour on it? If paint please advise on technique and type as I have found previously that paint "lifts" the paper off the foam. Thanks

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Thank you both. I was thinking along that line. How did you get some colour on it? If paint please advise on technique and type as I have found previously that paint "lifts" the paper off the foam. Thanks
Be gentle with the paint, and if possible scratch the surface up a bit with some steel wool or abrasive pad (helps the paint stick). Apply the paint in light coats. This is going to make the process take longer, but will prevent paper peeling up. If you put too much paint on at one time, it soaks into the paper and ruins the adhesive.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Be gentle with the paint, and if possible scratch the surface up a bit with some steel wool or abrasive pad (helps the paint stick). Apply the paint in light coats. This is going to make the process take longer, but will prevent paper peeling up. If you put too much paint on at one time, it soaks into the paper and ruins the adhesive.
Also, if you were interested, you can use an airbrush. Just use the techniques that @Jonny Gum wrote, with the light coats, and you’ll have a really nice looking airplane!

2jujube7

I made a Viggen with the idea of running it off of just an F pack - then I saw the 3D printer thrust vectoring @Photo001 made (thanks for putting the stl file on the forum :)), so I just printed one. :D I'm also going to spray paint the Viggen camo colors, it will be my first painted plane. I'll post pics when I'm done!

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I made a Viggen with the idea of running it off of just an F pack - then I saw the 3D printer thrust vectoring @Photo001 made (thanks for putting the stl file on the forum :)), so I just printed one. :D I'm also going to spray paint the Viggen camo colors, it will be my first painted plane. I'll post pics when I'm done!
Awesome - I can't wait to see it!

2jujube7

Alright, it's built. I finished up everything today, and it took my rookie plane building abilities over 20 hours of work from start to finish. :sleep: I just went out and did the maiden flight, and it flies pretty well. Not one click of trim needed! A little underpowered, but it still gets going pretty fast on my 2204 2300kv drone motor. In case anyone is wondering, I'm using a 3s 1500mAh LiPo tucked away in the nose. I'm fortunate enough to have a 3d printer, and I printed Photo001's thrust vectoring components. I didn't get much flying time as I flew just before sunset, so I called it a day after a few minutes. Don't want to crash my fanciest plane. :D I thought that the paint turned out pretty well, the light and dark spots from my not-so-great spray painting skills appear to be intentional camouflage :cool: Next time I'm going to apply lighter coats, as my estimate is that around 1/4 of the paper is peeling from the foam because my coats were too heavy. And, that's about it. Thanks to everyone on here for helping all the noobs like me out! :D
Viggen.jpg
ViggenHeadOn.jpg
ViggenTV.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Alright, it's built. I finished up everything today, and it took my rookie plane building abilities over 20 hours of work from start to finish. :sleep: I just went out and did the maiden flight, and it flies pretty well. Not one click of trim needed! A little underpowered, but it still gets going pretty fast on my 2204 2300kv drone motor. In case anyone is wondering, I'm using a 3s 1500mAh LiPo tucked away in the nose. I'm fortunate enough to have a 3d printer, and I printed Photo001's thrust vectoring components. I didn't get much flying time as I flew just before sunset, so I called it a day after a few minutes. Don't want to crash my fanciest plane. :D I thought that the paint turned out pretty well, the light and dark spots from my not-so-great spray painting skills appear to be intentional camouflage :cool: Next time I'm going to apply lighter coats, as my estimate is that around 1/4 of the paper is peeling from the foam because my coats were too heavy. And, that's about it. Thanks to everyone on here for helping all the noobs like me out! :D View attachment 182496 View attachment 182494 View attachment 182495
Awesome - congratulations!

2jujube7

Update time. I took it out for it's first real flight, and jeez, it can go fast! It was also hovering in the air with a slight breeze, and seemed to fly upside-down better than the right way up. :ROFLMAO: Unfortunately, the flight ended pretty abruptly when it clipped the light tower of the football stadium I was flying at. When it fell, It kind flat spun down softly, and the only real damage was a busted nose - like it was designed to do :) For sure it will be repaired and flying the next few days. The 10 minutes or so of it flying were probably the most awesome moments of my flying career. Sadly, one of my batteries was punctured on impact and I'm very lucky it didn't catch on fire. (It landed 20 feet away from the plane so it probably didn't matter if it combusted :D) Also, I lost my battery voltage checker in the crash, I looked for 20 minutes and it's nowhere to be found. Here's some pics to close this small essay I wrote off :D
viggencrash.jpg
viggenbatt.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Update time. I took it out for it's first real flight, and jeez, it can go fast! It was also hovering in the air with a slight breeze, and seemed to fly upside-down better than the right way up. :ROFLMAO: Unfortunately, the flight ended pretty abruptly when it clipped the light tower of the football stadium I was flying at. When it fell, It kind flat spun down softly, and the only real damage was a busted nose - like it was designed to do :) For sure it will be repaired and flying the next few days. The 10 minutes or so of it flying were probably the most awesome moments of my flying career. Sadly, one of my batteries was punctured on impact and I'm very lucky it didn't catch on fire. (It landed 20 feet away from the plane so it probably didn't matter if it combusted :D) Also, I lost my battery voltage checker in the crash, I looked for 20 minutes and it's nowhere to be found. Here's some pics to close this small essay I wrote off :D View attachment 182558 View attachment 182559
Shoot, I’m sorry to hear about the crash! It’s great to hear that you had 10 minutes of good flight time on it though. The viggen is such a nice flying plane - it is super smooth, stable, and easy to fly.

moke

going to start one in a few weeks. Looking for best source on 70 mm edf. Found a couple on Amazon that look 'ok'. Grayson has a pack designed for Viggen, but $100 plus. Any recommendations? Also want to add landing gear. Anyone done that?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
going to start one in a few weeks. Looking for best source on 70 mm edf. Found a couple on Amazon that look 'ok'. Grayson has a pack designed for Viggen, but $100 plus. Any recommendations? Also want to add landing gear. Anyone done that?
Awesome! I've heard really good things about the Powerfun edf's, and they are very budget friendly as well:
http://www.valuehobby.com/powerfun-70mm-edf-3400kv.html