Ft viggen group build!

moke

Day #1 on my scratch Viggen build. I do have to say that the plans and the build video by David are some of best I have done so far. None of the parts seem very complicated except for the nose cone. I think I will order the 'three-nose' package from flite test rather than scratch cut those. The rest of the parts I have already cut and preassembled many. I think the canopy design is creative and superb actually. The fuselage is also creative. Sturdy. Nothing too complicated. Really enjoying this one so far. I am going to finish assembly when we get to our 'southern' home in Hemet California and do the flights out of one of three fields I fly from there.

moke

thinking of ironing the leading edges on wing and rudder. Partly for looks and partly because its a jet and seems more streamline. Anyone done this or have input, yay or nay?

moke

I'm also going to do landing gear with a steerable nosewheel. I have some good parts for this, but if anyone else has done this would love to hear and see. I did landing gear including steerable nosewheel on FT Charlie and its working out nicely!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Day #1 on my scratch Viggen build. I do have to say that the plans and the build video by David are some of best I have done so far. None of the parts seem very complicated except for the nose cone. I think I will order the 'three-nose' package from flite test rather than scratch cut those. The rest of the parts I have already cut and preassembled many. I think the canopy design is creative and superb actually. The fuselage is also creative. Sturdy. Nothing too complicated. Really enjoying this one so far. I am going to finish assembly when we get to our 'southern' home in Hemet California and do the flights out of one of three fields I fly from there.
I really like the design as well - it's super simple but looks amazing and is an easy build that is very well thought out.

moke

Installed a steerable nosewheel in Viggen. Using a tail wheel kit I bought cheap on Amazon. I think it will work well. Since I'm putting in gear I also beefed up the nose connection with a couple of light plywood tabs that snug the nose nicely to the body.
20201107_145453.jpg

Attachments

• 20201107_145439.jpg
    20201107_145439.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201107_145458.jpg
    20201107_145458.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Viggen coming together. Will be waiting for EDF motor and some other stuff for awhile, but enjoying this build so far.

View attachment 182760
@moke it's coming along great! I like what you did with the nose wheel. As far as the aurora goes, it would be interesting to see how that helps it handle. I found it to be super stable without any stabilization, but there would be added benefits like the launch assist, different flight modes, and obviously better handling in the wind.

moke

@moke it's coming along great! I like what you did with the nose wheel. As far as the aurora goes, it would be interesting to see how that helps it handle. I found it to be super stable without any stabilization, but there would be added benefits like the launch assist, different flight modes, and obviously better handling in the wind.
thnx for feedback. I think I will take your word for the 'super stable'. Less complicated the better for me. working on rear landing gear solution today

moke

Configured rear landing gear for Viggen today. Used a strut for carbon cub float mounts. Up through wing and over small 'box' inside wing. I will reinforce the whole set up when I put things together permanently. I think I have it set up for sufficient nose up attitude. I learned that is mandatory when I set up gear on FT Bravo (learned the hard way). Have really enjoyed this build. Really a pretty simple one compared to a few others I have taken on. Now just in waiting pattern for motor parts.

Attachments

• 20201108_142631.jpg
    20201108_142631.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201108_141805.jpg
    20201108_141805.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201108_141847.jpg
    20201108_141847.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201108_143048.jpg
    20201108_143048.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Configured rear landing gear for Viggen today. Used a strut for carbon cub float mounts. Up through wing and over small 'box' inside wing. I will reinforce the whole set up when I put things together permanently. I think I have it set up for sufficient nose up attitude. I learned that is mandatory when I set up gear on FT Bravo (learned the hard way). Have really enjoyed this build. Really a pretty simple one compared to a few others I have taken on. Now just in waiting pattern for motor parts.
Great idea! I have those gear wires left from my carbon cub - I should put them to good use haha.

moke

Bench tested 70 mm EDF 12 blade with E Flight 1850 motor today. Using 60amp esc and 4s battery. Just about took off on me so I didn't go to full power. This is going to be an awesome bird.

moke

What kind of iron did you use. Been looking around locally and not sure the hobby irons I can find are what I need.
I hunted for one of those neat little V shaped hobby irons but couldn't find one locally and didn't want to wait for Amazon to deliver. So I bought a mini iron at Walmart for $9.97. Big flat bottom of course so it worked perfectly. Temperature control seems important and I practiced on some scrap foam before I committed. On this iron it was right at mid range.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Well, I actually kinda forgot about this thread. I guess I should share my 2nd Viggen which is modified. About a year ago I started on my own FT Viggen in the stock 64mm EDF version. It was my first EDF jet. In may of this year, after maybe 20 or so flights, my fan ingested some tape holding my ESC down, destroyed the EDF, and my EDF is very hard to find replacement impellers for, so I retired my Viggen. Jump forward to September, and I have a 70mm 6s EDF from my x-29 (which didn't fly due to insufficient thrust as I was flying it on 4s). I was kinda bummed that my other jets weren't working, so I decided to build another one. There was just one problem: I was stuck without plans! There is another way to scratch build though, I took measurements of my old Viggen and essentially drew up the plans on foam board. It was a very time consuming process which used a TON OF MATH! In the end, I managed to build a Viggen. I did modify it, however. I changed the location and shape of the tail, and added a functional rudder. I also made the wing a straight delta. I also shaved a bit off of the canards. Here are some finished pictures:
IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG

I then proceeded to fly it twice on my YouTube channel. You can check out the video here:
Well, that's my modified Viggen. It's pretty good looking, I'm happy with it. It flies a tad faster than the other one(obviously, since I flew my previous one on 3s). That's my contribution to the group build! Have a great Friday the 13th everyone!

moke

Well, I actually kinda forgot about this thread. I guess I should share my 2nd Viggen which is modified. About a year ago I started on my own FT Viggen in the stock 64mm EDF version. It was my first EDF jet. In may of this year, after maybe 20 or so flights, my fan ingested some tape holding my ESC down, destroyed the EDF, and my EDF is very hard to find replacement impellers for, so I retired my Viggen. Jump forward to September, and I have a 70mm 6s EDF from my x-29 (which didn't fly due to insufficient thrust as I was flying it on 4s). I was kinda bummed that my other jets weren't working, so I decided to build another one. There was just one problem: I was stuck without plans! There is another way to scratch build though, I took measurements of my old Viggen and essentially drew up the plans on foam board. It was a very time consuming process which used a TON OF MATH! In the end, I managed to build a Viggen. I did modify it, however. I changed the location and shape of the tail, and added a functional rudder. I also made the wing a straight delta. I also shaved a bit off of the canards. Here are some finished pictures: View attachment 183262
View attachment 183263
I then proceeded to fly it twice on my YouTube channel. You can check out the video here:
Well, that's my modified Viggen. It's pretty good looking, I'm happy with it. It flies a tad faster than the other one(obviously, since I flew my previous one on 3s). That's my contribution to the group build! Have a great Friday the 13th everyone!
Nice! Thanks for write up. Tell me again what rates you set up for successful flight