FT Viggen Review

NCC1701

Intro

So the FT Viggen was first presented by my me on YouTube, and caught my attention right away. The looks, the speed, the characteristics, they all made me interested. My immediate thought was, "If I ever try out this plane, I will defiantly get the EDF." I don't really care I hadn't. I had a FT 3d with the "Beef" power setup, so I was like "what the heck?" A couple months later I decided to try it out with the Power Pod.

Build

The build was much more tough than the FT 3d, since I did the scratch build instead of the "Speed Build". I kind of prefer the scratch build, since I love seeing something you build from scratch fly. And I still try to support Flite Test for buying shirts, mugs, stickers etc, so I'm good there. Also I am dumbfounded that Flite Test just gives away there plans. I mean, they spend hours, if not days ( I'm sure ) on these designs, and they give it for Free?? But anyway, I cut the parts out and started the build. The build video was complete and simple, and sometimes humorous.

I thought the nose cone was ingenious, but I have yet to crash it. It is absolutely amazing what David did with foam board. The wing is only one part, and the fuse folds beautifully into a streamline, attractive frame. I finished with the vertical stabilizer and canards, connected the linkages, and glued the servos in. Just one thing to note, I had to put two dead AA in the nose and two 1300mah 3s in parallel just for nose weight, so very tail-heavy. I was very happy with the look of this plane, even with the prop version, which is not too bad.

Flying and characteristics

We when't to a very large (~1,000 by 500 feet) field, had my father launch it, and I was off. I can't show enough how much I love this plane for it's characteristics. It is very aerobatic, very stable, and stalls the way you want it to. It does inverted as well as it does upright which is saying a lot. I feel a little more limited without a rudder than other planes, but it's minor. Like David said, it would probably role the plane with a rudder. It is very relaxing...I could really go on and on about this, but really what I wanted to talk about is the stalls. When you pull back on the sticks, it drops the nose, not the tip of the wings or anything, it's great. Like the landing, it could just float forever.

It's funny, because the landings, If I just give it a little throttle and elevator at a couple feet off the ground, it goes up at like 4 mph, and plops down on the grass. Sometimes it hits the prop on landings, so I'm a little worried about that. One more thing, is that when he launched it, it rolled about 4 time before I recovered and landed very quickly on the second flight. My suspicion is torque role, so don't worry if you get the EDF, which barely has any.

Conclusion

This plane is a great plane to get into EDF, bank-and-yanks, and fast flying at a very low cost, while being easy to fly. David Windestål did an amazing job on this plane, and I think you will agree.

Last edited:

Raptortech

Foam Addict
Love the Viggen, but I can confirm that torque roll is an issue when using pusher props. Anyway, how did you fly it inverted? With the upwards angled canards it should produce basically no lift when inverted. I tried inverted today and the plane dropped immediately!

NCC1701

Love the Viggen, but I can confirm that torque roll is an issue when using pusher props. Anyway, how did you fly it inverted? With the upwards angled canards it should produce basically no lift when inverted. I tried inverted today and the plane dropped immediately!

Yes, me and my father are thinking of getting landing gear to solve the torque role problem, but it will need to be high, since I have the pusher prop version. I kind of suspect it will be ugly. As to inverted, I have to have my down stick about 3/4 up, which isn't to bad. It might be because I chose to put more deflection on the elevons, because I thought the throw gauge was a little low.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The Viggen is my son's favorite to fly, especially on windy days when he likes to just hang it in the air. He also likes to try cutting grass with it!

A new nose and he was back in the air.

NCC1701

He looks like a great flier! I love how slow this plane can go. Thinking of doing the wire-cut version.