FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Well these came in the mail today, ordered 3 of each, left one is a Radiolink Redcon CM621 and the other a Spectrum AR610. Both tiny lightweight rx's and DSM2 protocol. No problem binding any of them, now to pick out some Guinea pig planes and range test them. :D Both under $10.00 CA delivered , hope it doesn't bite me in the butt. :)

View attachment 156064
How did you get the CM621 to bind? I bought a CM421 and CM621 a while back and neither would bind no matter what i tried.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
The Santa Ana winds came through today, so I decided to maiden my new glider. For those of you not from LA the Santa Ana winds come through here in the spring and early summer, and can reach 40 kts on a good day. They're caused by a high pressure area in the Great Basin that forces wind down through the mountains into the LA basin. I got up there a bit late in the day though, things were starting to die down.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Santa Ana winds came through today, so I decided to maiden my new glider. For those of you not from LA the Santa Ana winds come through here in the spring and early summer, and can reach 40 kts on a good day. They're caused by a high pressure area in the Great Basin that forces wind down through the mountains into the LA basin. I got up there a bit late in the day though, things were starting to die down.
So you didn't get to maiden it? Bummer.

Legendary member
My pastor has invited me to throw it off my church tomorrow.
I'm also thinking about building a DLG or two to fly in the no-wind season, or days like today. I've also discovered that my flying site is actually called Temple Hill, it's supposedly a pretty popular site but I've hiked that hill for almost 20 years and I think I might have seen one other glider up there years ago.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My pastor has invited me to throw it off my church tomorrow.
I'm also thinking about building a DLG or two to fly in the no-wind season, or days like today. I've also discovered that my flying site is actually called Temple Hill, it's supposedly a pretty popular site but I've hiked that hill for almost 20 years and I think I might have seen one other glider up there years ago.
Cool!

Legendary member
In other news here's the final paint job:
IMG_20200128_222459.jpg
Slight change of plans from what I was going to do because I didn't like how it was coming out.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Man that's got me jealous of people who have good areas to fly gliders. I live in a place where the phenomenon known as "hills" hasn't occurred for at least a hundred miles around so sloping is pretty much off the table. The only times I have reason to is at club fly-ins where there's people there to give me a tow but that doesn't happen often. I thought about maybe fiddling with ArduPilot to make an AI tow airplane specifically for flying gliders but I ran into the issue of making it land on the runway and not just in the field a bajillion feet away... maybe I could just have it be in loiter until I land the glider and then land it too? There's got to be some function in there to do that. Plus I don't really know how the AI would react to the forces imposed by towing something since when you do it manually it's easy to screw everything up and lose one or both planes...

I still need an actual glider though. I have a not-yet-built Goldberg Gentle Lady in a box that I got for free years ago but never bothered to build it up. Maybe I can squeeze in one more balsa build before winter is over? Keep your eyes peeled...

Legendary member
Man that's got me jealous of people who have good areas to fly gliders. I live in a place where the phenomenon known as "hills" hasn't occurred for at least a hundred miles around so sloping is pretty much off the table. The only times I have reason to is at club fly-ins where there's people there to give me a tow but that doesn't happen often. I thought about maybe fiddling with ArduPilot to make an AI tow airplane specifically for flying gliders but I ran into the issue of making it land on the runway and not just in the field a bajillion feet away... maybe I could just have it be in loiter until I land the glider and then land it too? There's got to be some function in there to do that. Plus I don't really know how the AI would react to the forces imposed by towing something since when you do it manually it's easy to screw everything up and lose one or both planes...

I still need an actual glider though. I have a not-yet-built Goldberg Gentle Lady in a box that I got for free years ago but never bothered to build it up. Maybe I can squeeze in one more balsa build before winter is over? Keep your eyes peeled...
Try a DLG! No hill required!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I found out about diagonal/mixed flow compressors recently, they are similar to centrifugical ones but the airflow exits as axial instead of radial, removing the need for a wide diffusor (instead using stator vanes more similar to an axial compressor)
This could mean, smaller rc jets for the same power.
Only issue would be, the smaller casing would mean smaller combustion chamber.
I will try to contact some friends, see if they have access to some cnc and until then I will probably make a 3d printed mockup.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I found out about diagonal/mixed flow compressors recently, they are similar to centrifugical ones but the airflow exits as axial instead of radial, removing the need for a wide diffusor (instead using stator vanes more similar to an axial compressor)
This could mean, smaller rc jets for the same power.
Only issue would be, the smaller casing would mean smaller combustion chamber.
I will try to contact some friends, see if they have access to some cnc and until then I will probably make a 3d printed mockup.

good friend has a CNC and is bored. spent most of his life turning precision artwork on a wood lathe so his attention to detail is unheard of. if you want i would be glad to send him file and see what he thinks.

laters,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
been loving the J&H Aerospace mini-Deamon from @FAI-F1D , so i started the micro build today...

20200201_171124.jpg

the plan was to use an Emax 1306-4000kv but i can't find a 4" prop with the same mount. looks like i will instead use a King Kong 1306-3100kv on a 4.1x4.1 speed prop w 3S- something, and a 6A ESC. i will keep looking and would love to run the Emax on 4S but from what i am reading it may not be possible, and require up to a 20A esc which just wont fit. we will see what this does and go from there...

laters,

me :cool: