FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

JennyC6

Elite member

Making some progress on the SIG 4*20 kit I got, partially assembled, from another flier in my area. Decided to put retracts on it because, hey, why not? Gonna use 1.25" wheels on it, will cut wheel wells when they arrive. Build's more or less stalled right now anyway as my next step is covering and slotting for aileron hinges, but I can still do things like this!
Gonna power it with a Saito FA-30, hence the fuel tank in the battery compartment. 4oz on an FA-30 should give me a good solid 10 minutes of fun!

JennyC6

Elite member
IMG_20200605_231710.jpg
And I've begun working on my FT Simple Scout. Predictably I put an engine in the BOM of this one; FS26 Surpass.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
nice! I've had plans for a while now of an old FF gas model from the 30s called the King Burd which would probably work perfect with a FS26 or a Saito 30. I already have one that a guy built in the mid 90s (my pfp actually!) and it flies perfectly coverted to electric power. Problem is both of those engines are about as rare as hen's teeth and subsequently not cheap...

JennyC6

Elite member
OMG! that is awesome. please make sure to post pics of it in the plane. i wanna see how your not gonna melt mid-flight. :LOL:

thanks, that made me smile.

me :cool:
FT foamboard is actually not all that bothered about fuel. Raw spills will delaminate the paper in a hurry but that's the only ill effect; otherwise it is indifferent to the stuff. It's all in the chemistry! Adams uses EPO foam for the core of the sandwich, which is chemically inert with regard to the stuff in glow fuel. You couldn't fly a gasoline burner on this stuff; gasoline would turn it to napalm right fast in a hurry. But methanol, nitromethane, and castor oil don't bother it much.

A whiff or two of the same Rustoleum paint FT themselves use and it's good to go. Hell it doesn't even need that asl ong as one's careful about things.

I do need to figure out a livery for it though.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have a Cox .049 sitting on the shelf, who knows how old it is. been itching to do something with it. prob is my club is electric only. i would need to find another place to fly. other than being a motorcycle guy who owned several 2-strokes i admit i know nothing about these little guys. this was given to me but the motor spins clean, has compression, pretty sure if i had fuel it would fire.

JennyC6

Elite member
i have a Cox .049 sitting on the shelf, who knows how old it is. been itching to do something with it. prob is my club is electric only. i would need to find another place to fly. other than being a motorcycle guy who owned several 2-strokes i admit i know nothing about these little guys. this was given to me but the motor spins clean, has compression, pretty sure if i had fuel it would fire.

Go for it! Long EZ is light enough that a basic reedie should be power aplenty, it's a pusher so most of the schmoo goes out the back rather than down the fuse, it can find CG without excess ballast even with an engine on it. SIG sells suitable fuel...it's what I use, their 25% Champion 1/2a brew...and Cox International/EX Model Engines both sell glow heads, tools, field supplies, et-al to support them. Cox Intl even sells brand new engines; where I got mine. Icing on the cake; Reedies run backwards as well as forwards, so you don't need a pusher prop. I'm running mine in reverse rotation with a tractor prop here!

And if you want tips and tricks, I'll be happy to share what I know. I'm no expert on them but I know enough about them to run them without destroying them!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
thanks.

it came off a balsa glider that one of the old guy's getting out of sport donated. i was more than happy to accept.

20190605_151259.jpg

i'd like to build it as a tractor and mount to something w/ light a wing loading. be able to get high fast, then have a decent glide slope coming home. i been thinking about delta wings. i have never built one as a tractor, so that would be kinda fun with the bonus of a nitro motor. :unsure:

laters,

speedbirdted

Legendary member
looks like a Black Widow! Those are nice engines. Probably the most powerful reed engine actually. A long way off a TD but they'll still move.

I have a few Cox engines but never built any planes to put them on. I'm much more of a fan of larger engines so every time I build something to put one on I end up just throwing electric power onto it.

JennyC6

Elite member
thanks.

it came off a balsa glider that one of the old guy's getting out of sport donated. i was more than happy to accept.

View attachment 171240

i'd like to build it as a tractor and mount to something w/ light a wing loading. be able to get high fast, then have a decent glide slope coming home. i been thinking about delta wings. i have never built one as a tractor, so that would be kinda fun with the bonus of a nitro motor. :unsure:

laters,

Gonna be hard to do that in DTFB because, on the 1/2a scale, foamboard is super super heavy compared to balsa. SIG sells a nice hi-wing that would be fun to bomb around with while the engine's running and then would glide well. Can also get a kit of a 1/2a Astro Hog that would work well on that engine. You'd have a good glide slope *and* have a really fun aerobat while on power!

Also, that tank's gonna last a good while.