FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just returned from the flying field!

Today brought a new and strange problem. I use a lot of Cf2812 1534kV motors from HK, (very cheap). I had fitted one to the Tubby Cubby and today I was doing final tweaks and the like when suddenly the motor started giving a lot of noise on throttle up and was becoming extremely hot.

At first I thought it was a bent shaft, (Not on this one as it was removed from a pusher design and had never crashed). Then I checked and re-tightened the engine mount, just in case it was coming loose but nothing fixed the problem. So flying over and a return to the workshop.

On disassembly it was found that the rear bearing had collapsed totally and after removing the circlip the tiny ball bearings exploded all over the work desk.
Luckily I had a number of spare parts for this motor type, (crashed and bent quite a few). Replaced the faulty parts and now it tests out as good to go.

Never had a bearing failure before! Go figure!

Have fun!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I think the HK aspect of the motor might be part of the issue, combined with a hard crash or two.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What a gorgeous day to fly today. Got to go up to the park and burn some packs this afternoon. Was a tad breezy but livable and very enjoyable day for me. Got to get Taz in the air for its first real work out of the season. couple warm up packs, a fine tune some high end oscillations out pack and then did this.

On a side note I was looking at google maps checking distances on the field out behind my complex and found it is 130 m from where I launch to the back part of the field. Then I watched the video of where I was practicing launches last fall with Taz and marked roughly where the first second after launch was. It was coming between 50 m and 60 m. At 50 m/s that is 111 mph, at 60 m/s its 134 mph so giving leeway for accuracy and all that I would say Taz was hitting mid 90s to 120 in that first second from launch to the 50 - 60 m mark on just 4s. I will get screen shots and post them in Taz build thread to get other opinions on how far off or how close these guesstimates are. The DVR footage is deceivingly slow looking. I can see just how much so when watching the DVR from the Alien compared to the HD footage of the same flights. Just proves wide angle vs standard 4:3 is huge variance in perception.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Nice, I was working from 11-7 today so no flying:cautious:

Atleast I made some money so I can get more planes though! I just hope horizon keeps that $99 sale on the xvert till next week.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I should’ve done something rc today, hmmm. Nope, nothing. But the bec for my next plane came in the mail yesterday.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I started work on prototyping a circle plane.
The circle started out with a 8.25 inch diameter and a 26'ish circumference, but that was WAAAAYYYY too fast, and may or may not have ended up in a tree...:whistle: Then I made the circle bigger, 15 inch diameter and a 50'ish inch circumference it was a little faster than what I want so in V2 I'm going to increase the size of the stabilizer surfaces NOT the control surfaces, they were fine. And make the circle wider and maybe a bit smaller....But I'm OUT OF FOAM:cry::cry:

Here are some pictures.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Crazy Goats

Nice, I was working from 11-7 today so no flying:cautious:

Atleast I made some money so I can get more planes though! I just hope horizon keeps that $99 sale on the xvert till next week.

Is that the X-vert plus dxe pack? I grabbed one of those, and what a sale! I will use the tx to teach my little bro to fly, and after watching the FT vid on the Xvert with landing gear, it looks like I'l have a nice plane for bashing around. It's still shipping though.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Got in the air with some of my middle school students today after months of building sparrows with them, after an early morning of FPV flying with a friend of mine.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I spent the afternoon getting Taz ready for the switch to 5s and beyond. I added caps to each esc because I want to protect my FPV gear. I think the filters on the esc's are plenty for any tuning issues but added them just the same. I shortened up the main power feed so everything plugs in at the rear instead of a long one that wrapped around to the front to meet the battery but not hang out enough to get hit. tossed some new props on it and took it out before it got too dark to see.

Flew one last 4s pack on it to make sure the electronics and video are all still happy and they were. Tossed on a freshly charged 5s pack and did a quick hover and a few throttle blips. MAJOR oscillation when throttle gets punched so I brought it back and detuned it a bit. Still had a really bad chatter so I decided to just start from scratch and do a full on tune. Once I dropped the I terms down to 20 most of the chatter went away but p gains of 4 on pitch and roll were still a tad too high. So I dropped them to 3 and started raising them back up.

I will get some off board video tomorrow if the weather is good. This thing sounds like pure evil with a punch on 5s with the Dal 5050 bi blades. I thought the props on 4s sounded a bit "throaty" like a big engine with 3 inch exhaust. 5 s is a whole new level of O M G W T H was that!! I may not be able to fly this at the complex with 5s any more.

IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG

Crazy Goats

I spent the afternoon getting Taz ready for the switch to 5s and beyond. I added caps to each esc because I want to protect my FPV gear. I think the filters on the esc's are plenty for any tuning issues but added them just the same. I shortened up the main power feed so everything plugs in at the rear instead of a long one that wrapped around to the front to meet the battery but not hang out enough to get hit. tossed some new props on it and took it out before it got too dark to see.

Flew one last 4s pack on it to make sure the electron...

I just noticed your quote thing, do I win a prize?:ROFLMAO: I like it anyway. I guess I haven't been here for a while maybe you've had it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe Will have to think of something maybe. You going to FF Ohio? You are the first to say something about it though.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
hehe Will have to think of something maybe. You going to FF Ohio? You are the first to say something about it though.
I mentioned it a while ago without directly saying it to sort of keep it unnoticed, but I guess I was too indirect.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
As promised. I got Taz out for a third pack on 5s. Only have two packs so its gonna take some time to dial it all in. Heres where it stands as of an hour ago.

#foamtest... yeah mate I am kind of dense when it comes to subtle meanings. Don't feel bad as I miss signals from woman all the time good and bad so that kind of keeps me in the doghouse haha.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
#foamtest... yeah mate I am kind of dense when it comes to subtle meanings. Don't feel bad as I miss signals from woman all the time good and bad so that kind of keeps me in the doghouse haha.
Lol it’s alright I miss a lot of things too, it’s not my fault I can’t read minds!

skymaster

Elite member
It's called smooth on. carefull with the fumes got to do it on an open space.

Attachments

• 2018-05-03 14.40.16.jpg
    2018-05-03 14.40.16.jpg
    887.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2018-05-03 14.41.59.jpg
    2018-05-03 14.41.59.jpg
    891.3 KB · Views: 0

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My flying skills must be improving, (I hope). Today the dreaded westerly winds arrived, (ice cold and 50+ kilometers per hour).

Anyway I had finally finished the build of the replacement TT for my son and it needed to be test flown so out I went anyway!
I got in 2 separate flights in the high speed and gusty wind conditions and I got the setup almost spot on first time.
Up wind the ground speed was around walking pace and down wind it just rocketed away. When turning from upwind to down wind I even observed how the wind gusts would actually stall the plane and push the tail upwards rather violently but I new what to expect and just continued flying and correcting as needed.

After a while it almost become fun fighting the wind until I realised that this was not my plane so a safe landing was made and the plane readied for hand over.

No one else turned up at the field today - I wonder why!:unsure:

Still enjoying the challenge and the achievements!

Have fun!