FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Loved the 18650 fatshark pack so much i made another one this weekend.

IMG_20180529_060911.jpg IMG_20180529_062422.jpg IMG_20180529_062557.jpg
Found an old article from 2014 about the weasel evo to foamboard so i printed that out and got out my glue gun.
IMG_20180527_215808.jpg
And i picked up an old project (before i knew how to launch wings) and decided to finish it up, if nothing else, to see how it works. Bungee rail launcher.
IMG_20180528_163229.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I started my spring cleaning and came across a project I started years ago. Think its time to finish it so this will be my hobby while batteries charge until it is finished. I dug it back out because I have been playing the guitar it is meant to hold more and more lately so I figured it was probably time it had its home back. If this comes out as good as I think it might I am thinking of maybe making custom radio cases for people in the dimensions they may need to fit in back packs or simply want a fancy looking custom case. Plenty of winter time here to do a few of them on occasion when I can't fly.

The case is over 30 years old now and has literally been all over country with me as I traveled for work or bands or vacations. Its long over due as you see it has developed structural issues let alone the original covering starting to literally shred.

IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I went to do some idiotic stuff with a flying wing and came up with the best challenge ever.

It's easy, break a wing and tape it so it can only hinge downward this way if you pull the slightest negative G stuff, it will stuff. Forget about down elevator, there is only up! And don't roll too hard either.
I guess the objective there is just "survive"

EDIT: I edited some videos, have fun

Last edited:

jaredstrees

Looks fun!

Got to fly a bit this weekend but it's already so stinking hot in Florida I think my planes were melting while flying! I know I was melting! Also got a little done on the switchback sport.

thenated0g

Mentor
I finally sat down and went thru a Fusion 360 tutorial. Up to this point i had just been downloading files from thingiverse but i really want to start building my own models. FYI Fusion 360 is free for hobbiest and startups making less than $100k a year. It is a pretty amazing feeling to model a part from scratch (following a tutorial step by step obviusly), cutting it in Cura and than holding that part in your hand. Amazing. The part isnt RC but building it will lead to rc parts :)
IMG_20180601_201241.jpg
Than i had a bad battery so i decided to try out this $9 battery discharger to at least get some of the power out of it before i move to the next step before destroying it. I was able to get it down to 3.5v per cell, thats the lowest setting on it. I will finish with a light or fan all the way down to zero or the bucket of salt water way. The light bulbs get super hot, i need to mount in a piece of wood with a fan blowing on them.
IMG_20180603_164833.jpg
Most of my weekend was spent assembling my 4 axis cnc hot wire cutter. Getting close to cutting some wings!
IMG_20180603_173953.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Firmware testing in the back yard on my recently updated A450. Been through a few packs and probably a good 40+ minutes of flight testing since the rebuild.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Repaired a minor flaw in my SE 5's landing gear mount (where the plywood separated), flew a battery through the Cub and the SE 5 and started on the SE 5 radiator.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Helped out with the Biggest Little Airshow hosted by the Hiller Aviation Museum at San Carlos airport.

Got to fly the Diamond in one of the EDF jet demos and the Baron in a combat demo (where I graciously lost my ribbon to another Baron).

A lot of fun - some great planes there. Also a couple of the guys were taking vids and photos. One of them caught a really nice image of the Diamond so I have updated my profile pic.

NewAvatar.jpg

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I took a day off from work to attend a free ST Microelectronics seminar on brushless DC motor control, learning about how ESC software works (focusing on the Field Oriented Control/FOC that's more suitable for larger BLDC motors) to drive our brushless motors. I learned a lot and got Nucleo/motor control prototyping board with a cheap 7 pole pair BL motor out of it.

I lot of information here: http://www.st.com/en/applications/motor-control/pmsm-bldc-motors.html

stm32motorseminar.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice set up Nate. All hard mounted to the wall and well organized too!.

I saw the video of the rail system you used. Are you not worried they will flex and cause warps or curves in the wings when they extend the weight of the towers out past the wood supporting the rails? I would think that kind of weight would flex downward the further out they get.

thenated0g

Mentor
Nice set up Nate. All hard mounted to the wall and well organized too!.

I saw the video of the rail system you used. Are you not worried they will flex and cause warps or curves in the wings when they extend the weight of the towers out past the wood supporting the rails? I would think that kind of weight would flex downward the further out they get.
Yeah that initially is something to worry about i thought but:
1) Keith (rckeith.co.uk) has been using this same setup for like 10 years? and no problem
2) Shawn at Defiant wings is using this to manufacture
3) Dave at Hazard wings (australia) is using this to manufacture

But what you have to realize is that this is not your standard cnc rig. There should be ZERO contact between anything in this machine and the material. There are no added forces accept when the towers get off from eachother and the spring adds tension to keep the wire tight.

These are 100lb weight capacity slides, 2 on each rail, so 200lb and they are moving like 25-30lb of weight...SLOW. These are not fast jerky movements.

The wire should be a temparture that the heat wave in front of the wire melts the foam, not the wire itself. The wire should never touch the foam.

Now that i have the towers moving around i can see in person that they are very rigid. There is some give once you apply the springs to the wire but it stays at that point, its a constant tension.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cool!

Just OCD things that pop into my head when I see mechanical things. I have to ask.. its a compulsion. Can't wait to see this in action cutting its first wing. I think I was that kid who stood by someone trying to work or make something going Whats that" whats that? hows it work? Why? Why ? Why? Probably drove my Grandfather and Uncle nuts in the process hehe

thenated0g

Mentor
They are good questions. I am totally in "follow this list of directions" mode and not really understanding most of it. So any ideas, questions, suggestions are welcome. Also why im documenting this, i think i cant be the only person that has wanted to do this but put it off for varous reasons particularly like "its too hard, i cant do that". I happen to be at a good spot with 3 users of this setup all being super helpful with the build. I want to try and have a central place for suggestions/builds/questions as right now its Keiths website and some random stuff around the web. Not really any good discussion/forums that i have found.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I am sure you have more then a few peoples attention in here with this. They just don't wanna pester you where as I simply can't help myself when I see things that grab my attention. :) This will be a go to place for this once you get into more detailed things like the computer set up as well as actual use of it.