FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That's
Actually thats pretty common for raptors to wing over inverted to start a dive. Check out the end of this vid of a hawk going after my quad. He was full inverted trying to slow and change direction.

That's pretty cool. Yeah, I figured he must be maneuvering or something. Still, the photographer snagged a great shot.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
RC Today???
Fixed a FQ777 foldable brushed quad that a former co-worker gave me and did some Inductrix FPV flying around the house. Need to find a way to keep the press on props from flying off the FQ777 before doing much more with it. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Hmm, what have we here?
image.jpg

(The nickels on the tail are for tail-weight, it was nose-heavy without them.)
For anyone that is interested this has an 18inch wingspan and is roughly 16 inches long. It is powered by an 1106 on 2s with 2 of ft’s 5gram servos.
Maiden went amazingly well for something I plopped together in a total of less than 3 hours, it was a little touchy though even with very low throws, I moved the battery forward a tad and it helped a little bit, next flight I’m going to move it a little more forwards.
If anybody wants to build one let me know and I’ll whip up some simple plans in sketchup.

OliverW

Legendary member
Hmm, what have we here? View attachment 125899
(The nickels on the tail are for tail-weight, it was nose-heavy without them.)
For anyone that is interested this has an 18inch wingspan and is roughly 16 inches long. It is powered by an 1106 on 2s with 2 of ft’s 5gram servos.
Maiden went amazingly well for something I plopped together in a total of less than 3 hours, it was a little touchy though even with very low throws, I moved the battery forward a tad and it helped a little bit, next flight I’m going to move it a little more forwards.
If anybody wants to build one let me know and I’ll whip up some simple plans in sketchup.
I think I may need to scale one up to use a 2205 red bottom

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Flies fast on 2s, but it’s a blur on 3s!
I think I may need to scale one up to use a 2205 red bottom
Yes! This would be great at a 24inch span with a 2205, it would be a rocket, so much so you might lose sight of it ;). I’ll try to get some basic plans up in a few days, if I don’t get any up by Tuesday, tag me and remind me because I might forget ;).
By the way, this isn’t a normal ft style cut and fold wing, it’s a @nerdnic style wing with no undercamber.

OliverW

Legendary member
Flies fast on 2s, but it’s a blur on 3s!

Yes! This would be great at a 24inch span with a 2205, it would be a rocket, so much so you might lose sight of it ;). I’ll try to get some basic plans up in a few days, if I don’t get any up by Tuesday, tag me and remind me because I might forget ;).
By the way, this isn’t a normal ft style cut and fold wing, it’s a @nerdnic style wing with no undercamber.
Alright! Maybe 125% scale?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Or you could remove some of your tail weight?
Didn’t want to destroy the vertical stabilizers ripping out the nickels, I won’t add as much weight on the tail next build.
Also on the next build I will make the control surfaces a lot smaller, I have the throws dialed way down and have very little resolution.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
What a fun afternoon of flying. Crashed my Goblin a little when I lost orientation but it is an easy repair.
The Rainbow Flying Wing is just a super relaxing plane to fly, did ten minutes flight on around 250ma of its 1000mAh battery. The Volador 3D plane was great to fly in the very light wind we had today. Two flights on my Phenix60, the first of which I recorded and took to a bit of height to test its stall. Nasty sharp to the right is the answer which makes me fairly sure the last crash I had on it where it rolled over sharp to the right was a stall, not a radio control failure.
I was impressed when flying the Phenix 60 at its climbing ability so I ran a weight against thrust test.
3S 1300 battery in place the plane is 343grams. Thrust? Well a whopping 625grams meaning it has power/weight factor of 1.8 :)
The motor is a DYS 1806 2700Kv with a tribrade 5x4x3 prop.
I was dead impressed!!!!

But more impressive is how I measured this without chopping my fingers up.
I made a super-duper thrust stand from a short length of wood, a popcorn bucket and duck tape.... unicorn duck tape. :)
IMG_20190309_200154520.jpg
Stick this to your kitchen scales, tare them and then place your wing in the highly accurately designed device.
IMG_20190309_200236243.jpg
Ingenious eh????
😁🤣😁

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I was impressed when flying the Phenix 60 at its climbing ability so I ran a weight against thrust test.
3S 1300 battery in place the plane is 343grams. Thrust? Well a whopping 625grams meaning it has power/weight factor of 1.8 :)
The motor is a DYS 1806 2700Kv with a tribrade 5x4x3 prop.
I was dead impressed!!!!

But more impressive is how I measured this without chopping my fingers up.
I made a super-duper thrust stand from a short length of wood, a popcorn bucket and duck tape.... unicorn duck tape. :)
View attachment 126090
Stick this to your kitchen scales, tare them and then place your wing in the highly accurately designed device.
View attachment 126091
Ingenious eh????
😁🤣😁
My daughter would hand out serious bonus points for the unicorns.

clolsonus

Spring (March?) flying means different things to different people. Here in Minnesota we are grateful if we can catch a calm day in between snow storms. Here is my club field on March 8 (yesterday). Pretty soon the access road will turn to mud and stay that way for a couple weeks until we can punch a few holes in the permafrost to drain all that melting snow and rain in the sandy soil below. Then the sun will come out, the gophers will start rebuilding their cities in the middle of our runway and taxiways, and another flying season will be upon us!
sprc-in-march.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have a few inches of snow left here yet but they are calling for a high of 50 tomorrow... and rain..

Yay Bills Law.

Anyway did a video on my gremlin rebuild in hopes it helps others asking more questions again recently.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Spring (March?) flying means different things to different people. Here in Minnesota we are grateful if we can catch a calm day in between snow storms. Here is my club field on March 8 (yesterday). Pretty soon the access road will turn to mud and stay that way for a couple weeks until we can punch a few holes in the permafrost to drain all that melting snow and rain in the sandy soil below. Then the sun will come out, the gophers will start rebuilding their cities in the middle of our runway and taxiways, and another flying season will be upon us! View attachment 126114
What part of Minnesota are you located in? (if you're comfortable sharing) I'm in the Twin Cities area.