FTFC'18 WWII Corvair XB-53 designed by TaleSpin

TaleSpin

Started work on the build of plans v1.1, here's a few images for the build log...

IMG_3612.JPG

This is the completed nose with canopy...

IMG_3596.JPG
The bones with score lines crushed with a sharpie or pen cap. (lots of score lines helps get the form, but makes the cutting a little overwhelming).

IMG_3597.JPG
Started by putting the central part of the nose tip together.

IMG_3599.JPG
Used a former to get the basic nose shape (the former gets glued in later for rigidity).

IMG_3603.JPG
Here is the former placement getting started, sides getting glued in, went step wise to get the best fit since the folding is somewhat complex. Once this flap is glued down we close the nose tip (below) then start working aft.

IMG_3604.JPG
Nose tip to be closed.

IMG_3605.JPG
I like to put some tape over some of the seams.

IMG_3606.JPG
Moving aft, line up the leading edge to the forward part of the nose, go step by step to align things well and again tape seams as needed if desired.

IMG_3607.JPG
Don't forget to use the table as your friend when needed.

IMG_3610.JPG
Bevel the sides of the canopy and stick it down (I put some markings down).

IMG_3609.JPG
I like to do the canopy early since it makes me feel like progress has been made, though this could be a good step to save for later.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

TaleSpin

Made some more progress...
the main fuselage is a simple box with some extensions to help attach the forward and aft sections. I put doublers also since it helps with durability and actually makes the motor/thrust tube placement easier. Simple B fold setup here.
IMG_3613.JPG IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3615.JPG

TaleSpin

This is the aft section, it's got lots of lines again I used the sharpie crush method rather than beveling since there would be so much cutting. Also I left the cutouts for the wings in place for strength until the whole fuse is together. You'll see that part later. This is a combo of traditional FT folds (mostly B) and bevel folds essentially
IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3622.JPG
Specifically here is where I use B fold to set the angles right for the complex geometry that is aft. IMG_3623.JPG
This is also B folds that I just wrapped around the aft section to connect.
IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3626.JPG

TaleSpin

I placed the thrust tube and EDF so that the first firewall sits against the doublers of the fuse, the second is just aft of the EDF's front edge just as extra security.
IMG_3628.JPG IMG_3629.JPG
IMG_3627.JPG
Now it's just line up the fuse pieces and glue...
IMG_3630.JPG

TaleSpin

Here I glued the crush lines for some rigidity to the sides and used a former to set the shape.
Then I separated the pieces because I'm using these sides to sure up the wing attachment and to help set your dihedral and incidence.
IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3636.JPG IMG_3632.JPG IMG_3633.JPG IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3639.JPG

Forgot to mention that I added some foam at the intake to direct the airflow better. It also happens to look cool, so that's nice :eek:

Last edited:

TaleSpin

Now I cut out the wing slot from the aft section.
IMG_3646.JPG

The wing is standard method, bevel the leading edge fold, crush or skewer the upper wing panels so they can take shape right. The wing is large and requires 2 sheets of foam attached together, but you can make both wings from the 2 sheets, just tape one side, glue, and tape the other so they sit side by side (much like when you attach wings ad the center on traditional FT planes) IMG_3641.JPG IMG_3642.JPG IMG_3644.JPG
The only important part is that the spar is higher on the aft edge than the leading edge, it should line up perfectly with the fold of the wing so that your shape comes out right.

TaleSpin

Just for fun, the wings aren't yet attached, but I set them in place to see how it'd look... I ran out of servo extension wires so had to order a few more to complete the build and install the wings...
IMG_3645.JPG IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3648.JPG IMG_3649.JPG

TaleSpin

Pretty pleased with how it's coming together this time. There is still a bit of fudge factor though... lots of beveling to get the wings to fit into their slots, but I'll make sure to add that to the plans since it will be required to make things sit flush. Still debating over the best method to attach the wings and set the dihedral, but I think I'm just going to let the fuselage set the angle since I designed the sides to hold up the wing, I did make an angle gauge to set it true, but it seems to work pretty well just sitting on the cutout space like in the pics from the last post. For the next iteration of plans I need to put the servo cutout locations and make a definitive plan for the access hatch, I'll just be cutting it out of the top after the vert stab goes on again this time.

TaleSpin

Well second build is complete. Still had minor wing fit issues. I added a little scrap foam to support the wings where they attach to the thrust tube/fuse but it was probably unnecessary since there are 2 points of attachment, the central fuse tube and the embelishments/intakes. I split the control surfaces this time to make it more scale appearing and programmed ailerons/elevator and flaperons (with all 4 wing surfaces) and ailerons and flaperons (rear 2) on switches. I still want to rework my access hatches, but it came together pretty well this time. Haven't taken her up yet though.
IMG_3661.JPG IMG_3662.JPG IMG_3663.JPG IMG_3664.JPG

Snowblind

Propeller Balancer
That plane is awesome! The faceted look actually suits it really well in my opinion. But I've always liked the F117-A for her facets...