• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FTFC20 Minimoa designed by FoamyDM

TooJung2Die

So you're covering it with tissue like a balsa build. May I suggest you pre-shrink the tissue before covering. The foam board construction looks flimsier than a balsa frame so shrinking will probably deform the foam. It makes the tissue wrinkly but that's what is often done on really light balsa frames to avoid warping. I have a good PDF on tissue covering I read before restoring the "ONE NITE 28".

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Do you have any more info on the receiver? The servo connections look pretty obvious on the front, but finding the pads for the battery connection can sometimes be tricky, and binding processes can be odd for some "brand-free" components.
After fiddling with it.. I had the same questions! There are no ID markings at all. and it is hard to follow the circuitry. event he PPM plug has no guide! I plugged in a battery possibly the wrong way and think I ruined the board... I want to use it for the servos, but without some kinda guide it's useless.
I have an alternate system to install, but I was hoping to use this one. :rolleyes:
https://www.banggood.com/CM410X-2_4...o-Transmitter-p-1127110.html?cur_warehouse=CN
Wish I has looked earlier...
I was supposed to plug the battery in through a servo connector. Hmmm. the manual or photos indicate this nowhere.
Here is a screen grab from the YouTube video: (follow the first comments directions to get poorly translated english CC. :LOL: Guess what a Heerlon Kitten is, or where the patchouli supply goes?
1572359851637.png

So you're covering it with tissue like a balsa build. May I suggest you pre-shrink the tissue before covering. The foam board construction looks flimsier than a balsa frame so shrinking will probably deform the foam. It makes the tissue wrinkly but that's what is often done on really light balsa frames to avoid warping. I have a good PDF on tissue covering I read before restoring the "ONE NITE 28".
Pre-shrink. like wet and dry it? with just water?
I was gonna get the tissue on. (and I may still) then I remembered that you had covered UnRauv's SE5 in DTWP (dollar tree wrapping paper) and thought :unsure: maybe that's the answer. It's more in line with what I want for it. I have a good bit of it. (planned to use it to waterproof a hull on the marchetti 55x too.)

Made more progress: IMG_20191029_010028113.jpg IMG_20191029_010022323.jpg IMG_20191029_010115520.jpg

TooJung2Die

Pre-shrink. like wet and dry it? with just water?
I was gonna get the tissue on. (and I may still) then I remembered that you had covered UnRauv's SE5 in DTWP (dollar tree wrapping paper) and thought :unsure: maybe that's the answer. It's more in line with what I want for it. I have a good bit of it. (planned to use it to waterproof a hull on the marchetti 55x too.)
Pre-shrink tissue by hanging and wetting it then letting it dry. It'll get all wrinkled but that can be corrected with a clothes iron. The next wet and shrink after attaching to the frame won't be as strong. You might be surprised how much tissue can pull when it shrinks. Glad you mentioned dollar store clear colored gift wrap. That may be just the right covering. BobK did a nice job on his Schoolgirl. First time I've ever seen it done with cheap cellophane gift wrap. It shrinks with heat but not strong enough to warp foam board. It'll also stretch with heat from a heat gun and cover compound curves. All that takes practice to do without damaging the delicate foam frame you've built. It looks really nice and deserves a see through covering. Tissue looks good but it punctures and tears very easy. My favorite ultra-light covering is 1.5 mil clear document laminating film. It comes in large rolls so the initial investment can be pricey.

FoamyDM

Another update... wings done. Servos in, found wires.
IMG_20191112_223429815.jpg IMG_20191112_223412985.jpg IMG_20191112_223510649.jpg IMG_20191112_223320763.jpg
the fold-under wing matches the profile almost perfectly. So now we have a good way to roll this profile. Should have this ready for a tow.

This bird was used in tow testing as well

As stated in the beginning the original balsa model used a very unusual airfoil similar to this one:
1573680194863.png
1573680160270.png 1573680245540.png
Even if this does little else, this strikes me as a successful experiment, in NON-Clark-Y/symmetrical airfoil testing.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Another update... wings done. Servos in, found wires.
View attachment 147984 View attachment 147983 View attachment 147985 View attachment 147982
the fold-under wing matches the profile almost perfectly. So now we have a good way to roll this profile. Should have this ready for a tow.

This bird was used in tow testing as well

As stated in the beginning the original balsa model used a very unusual airfoil similar to this one:
View attachment 147992
View attachment 147991 View attachment 147993
Even if this does little else, this strikes me as a successful experiment, in NON-Clark-Y/symmetrical airfoil testing.
That's definitely one of the most complicated wings that I've seen. Seems like it'll generate a nice pocket of high pressure, even though the wing isn't very deep. I'm really starting to look forward to the maiden flight on this one!

FoamyDM

just tried it. and it takes approx. 40g att the nose and balances about 3/4" behind the main spar. not what I expected. I also learned 2 things... the main body is pretty strong the nose is weak. and wing needs uni direction fiberglass tape. to reinforce the new a servo cut out

Last edited: