Giant Scale - Builds:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I missed this thread when it came out but now that its been bumped I figured I'd share a few of my larger scratchbuilt foam models.

81" length T-38 Talon View attachment 230057

1: 4 Scale Albatros D.Va built for FF22 View attachment 230052

94" Span P-40 Warhawk from Parkflyer Plastics

View attachment 230053

1:4 scale ORACLE Pitts Challenger III

View attachment 230054

Original Ben Harber Stearman (Currently being rebuilt, 80" span)

View attachment 230055

1:9th B-17G (In Progress)

View attachment 230056
good assortment there

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Was working on the quaker today although I’m curious why because it’s only 23°, but it’s coming together well I’m re- Apoxseeing
the landing gear
1B50D6EF-6989-433C-BE4E-2C48C7E0D276.jpeg
DA064F0C-F56E-4CB0-90C7-96934CEA8685.jpeg
3797584C-3D5F-4D74-A3B3-DA4481BB5E36.jpeg
and finishing covering on a fuselage then it’s flying time!

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I came up in the hobby when the IMAA was very prevalent. So to me, giant is 80" in span or larger. (60" for a bipe) One of my mentors was on the edge of "giant" planes with his 105" Lockheed Electra Jr. He followed that up with an A-26 spanning a whopping 120". Nowadays he hardly flies anything smaller than 180", his largest being a B-36 spanning over 200".

B-36firstflight3.jpg

Giant here in the FT/foamy world can be as small as 60". Just goes to show what people consider "giant" is all relative.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Pure DTFB limits are tough past 60 in my experience with out leaning heavy on CF or Wooden Spars... (which you should.)

Closus

Here's my "Moorhuhn" monster chicken I built from all the monster maker foam I had left - I think about 3-4 boards in total :)
It has a 75"/190cm wingspan and 94"/240cm length, so I figured it counts, given its jet-based design.
Compared to its smaller counterparts, a rudder was added, as well as a few CF reinforcements.
I built it based on plans by Gerhard Hubek for a small depron indoor plane, scaled wayyy up. I've built about ten of these so far for myself and friends, in varying sizes, and they all fly surprisingly well! Even the big one, at 4kg, flies pretty well despite having no airfoil at all. The wing area is absolutely massive, so wing loading is very low.
The feathers/winglets are articulated with a servo each, so they can flap in the air :cool:
moorhuhn6.jpg

It does very well at high alpha flight, which makes sense given its Eurofighter-based design. I can post a quick video of the big bird if anyone is interested. Given this project's "just for fun" nature, I'm quite surprised to say the plane is still in one piece and flies well! For next years flying season, I'll add a mechanism for dropping styrofoam eggs... :) It's super fun to fly in formation with a few of the small ones, since they can go extremely slow at very high alpha.

Here's some more pictures:

Start of the build (for reference, the plane in the back is a Hangar 9 Beast 100cc!
moorhuhn1.jpg
Getting paint
moorhuhn2.jpg
Maiden hand launch
moorhuhn3.jpg
Sitting pretty
moorhuhn4.jpg
In a low-alpha pass
moorhuhn5.jpg

Attachments

• moorhuhn1.jpg
    moorhuhn1.jpg