Great Planes Giant P6E Hawk--Electric Conversion

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Awesome work on the repairs. She looks great. Don't worry too much about the 100% color match. These things were always being fixed up and repainted anyway.

Seahunter

Beautiful job, looks fantastic, looking forward to your next project :) Does anyone know why my last posts are missing the Like button? This just started.

Last edited:

rcplaner

Hello friends!
Thanks for this topic!
I'm now in search for appropriate motor to my P-6E. Which one of following would you choose?
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192KV
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-245KV
Turnigy NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV / 2400W
Turnigy RotoMax 1.20 280kv
Dualsky ECO 5330C 280kv/ 3200ВW
EMAX GT5325/09 325 KV
EMAX GT5335/09 220 KV
GreatPlanes RIMFIRE 1.20 kv450
GreatPlanes RimFire 1.60 250kv
Thanks!

Thanks again for this great thread. I've made my choice:
Dualsky ECO 5322C-V2 430kV motor
Hobbywing FunFly V5 120A ESC
Some 6S 5-6Ah li-po pack (not decided yet)

And here is my 3d-printed motor mount. It's printed from PETG, looks great and I hope, will work fine.

photo_2020-10-21_14-11-03.jpg

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Nice videography techniques and great job doing everything solo as I enjoyed and learned a few things watching this. The plane flys great and also looks fantastic! On my planes that have batteries in the underbelly I used a nice big soft duffle bag to set the plane upside down on to load and unload batteries which makes it much easier and also, you may want to look into a wing bag for transporting those nice wings. Man it looks cold there and nice find on the paved runway, I keep looking around here for that but every time I find one they dig it up and build on them.

rcplaner

Thanks @nhk750 for watching my video-opus and high valuing my skills! I'm really novice in this sphere. But that was real fun making up all those "takes", thinking of that all camera angles, composition and so on :)
And as it common, when you do something new, the mistakes are inevitable. All the great flight passages in front of the camera with the second battery pack have not been filmed because I forgot to hit the record button on camera :) So, that's why there are so few actual flights and a lot of assembly/disassembly.
And other issue is that I have only 24mm lens on my Nikon Z6, so there are no close-ups with model in the air.
But I'm gonna improve all this some day I believe.

That's a great tip to use duffle bag as an underlay for plane. And this wings bag is temporary, I will change the material for more sturdy and fine looking building insulation sheets.

The weather pamper us this autumn, that's true. And this road is some kind as abandoned but just 10 minutes from home by car and within city boundaries. The payoff - not so many days with good wind direction (often across) :)

Grover54

Hey P6E Hawk pilots! It's been a long time since I've been here but I've had great success with my Hawk. When I started my conversion I was a neophyte, not just in this hobby but doing a conversion. I've joined a new club and there are about 6 large scale Hawk pilots in the club so you'll be seeing some new faces shortly to swap information. A new add I can bring is I've got a full 3D IP for the 76" Hawk that fills the entire front cockpit. Callie has a display decal and it looks like it will be a great fit. I'll post it when I get the finished IP. Stay Tuned