greetings and salutations!

Marzipan

@JasonK MEIN GOTT!

I honestly cannot believe how much of an idiot I am. that looks like faded text to me, which indicates you cannot interact with it in most cases, so my brain never registered what the words actually said.

thank you!

Marzipan

here's another question...to help me get clarification.

I've been seeing the word Freewing used a lot during my interweb roaming. Google says Freewing is like chuck gliding, but includes controllerless propulsion. and then I see Freewing being used on aircraft that are RC, which indicates there is a manufacturer named Freewing.

Taildragger

Legendary member
here's another question...to help me get clarification.

I've been seeing the word Freewing used a lot during my interweb roaming. Google says Freewing is like chuck gliding, but includes controllerless propulsion. and then I see Freewing being used on aircraft that are RC, which indicates there is a manufacturer named Freewing.
freewing is a manufacturer i believe, and freeflight is non R/C gliding

Marzipan

freewing is a manufacturer i believe, and freeflight is non R/C gliding

ahhh...so my dyslexia struck, LoL!

now I know what to watch for when I see those two words.

are freeflight aircraft essentially the plane sans-electronics, or are they a special beast unto their own and it's not always so easy to drop in electronics to make them R/C?

Dji-maineiac

Hi all! Recently discovered Flite Test as well as DJI. Have one drone and just ordered another. I wanted to join the community and introduce myself. Looking forward to more podcasts and episodes as they really help me in my day to day.

Marzipan

Hi all! Recently discovered Flite Test as well as DJI. Have one drone and just ordered another. I wanted to join the community and introduce myself. Looking forward to more podcasts and episodes as they really help me in my day to day.

Djim...you should create your own introductions thread. that way you can ask questions you want answers for and won't lose track of where they are. ;)

Marzipan

here's another question. when you use switches on a transmitter, are those considered a channel? if not, what functions are considered to use a channel?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
here's another question. when you use switches on a transmitter, are those considered a channel? if not, what functions are considered to use a channel?

switches could be connected to a channel or not depending on how you have your radio configured.

A switch that is doing dual rates (setting a high gain and a low gain) on your control surfaces on the radio are not using a channel.

A switch that is used to send an arm/disarm signal to a flight control is using a channel.

L Edge

Master member
switches could be connected to a channel or not depending on how you have your radio configured.

A switch that is doing dual rates (setting a high gain and a low gain) on your control surfaces on the radio are not using a channel.

A switch that is used to send an arm/disarm signal to a flight control is using a channel.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Switches, what are they?
Well like Jason said it depends
My tx has 3 switches and 1 button. only two are channels
red= not a channel
1633638500034.png

Yeah like if you had controllable landing gear - you only need an "on/off" switch. Raised or lowered. So you don't need a stick like for your throttle, but it still needs to be assigned to a channel.

Marzipan

Yeah like if you had controllable landing gear - you only need an "on/off" switch. Raised or lowered. So you don't need a stick like for your throttle, but it still needs to be assigned to a channel.
okay...so basically any set of operations requires a channel function. that's clear now, thank you!

okay...so basically any set of operations requires a channel function. that's clear now, thank you!
Your question made me think about it. Thanks, it gave me clarity on the topic -
Any instruction you want to send to the plane needs a channel. Any instruction that'll stay in the radio itself - like changing throw rates (dual rates) - doesn't need a channel. When I use differential thrust, if for some odd reason I want to be able to turn off diff thrust sometimes and use just the rudder, I can set up a switch that just talks to the radio. No additional channel needed.

Marzipan

I'm wondering if FT has released anything with retractable landing gear?

or are there any particular planes that lend themselves to successful mods of retractable landing gear?

Marzipan

another odd question. I'm about ready to buy a RadioMaster TX12...but wondering if there have been revisions of it and whether I should be watchful in getting the better of any revisions?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
another odd question. I'm about ready to buy a RadioMaster TX12...but wondering if there have been revisions of it and whether I should be watchful in getting the better of any revisions?
If I were you, I would get the radio master tx16...
It seems to have better reviews, and is more featureful