Guillow's DC3 conversion - Who has done it? Any tips?

ttom

Winter is here and in the UK Barney has signaled the 3 months of gales heading our way here in Cornwall. I am battening down the hatches and starting my winter builds. Grin, grin - I like this bit every bit as much as flying.

The first build I am turning to is a little ebay purchase - an old but complete DC3 from Guilllow's.

I have built balsa, but never converted a Guillow's before. Never bought a kit before let alone converted a static model, I have only scratch built. So I am having a little think before I start carving away. Who out there has done this DC3 conversion? Any tips on best weight reduction etc.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I've been wanting to build a converted Guillows DC-3 for a long time. I would be interested in hearing some tips as well.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey Ttom,

I'm in the middle of converting a guillows 403 spitfire to RC, and its been an enjoyable challenge. from what I've read and experience, usually your best bet will be to copy the plans with the formers and re cut them out of light balsa, midwest or Tower hobbies are good suppliers of balsa. DON'T use hobby lobby balsa, I made that mistake and it was terrible. Also, lighten the tail as much as reasonable, hollow out the formers in the center fuselage, build light tail surfaces, use light weight covering like doculam, etc. I'd also check the airfoil, if its a true flat bottom airfoil, you can reshape the wing ribs slightly to form a clark-y profile like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...d=0ahUKEwjA_e7nkLTJAhWMNYgKHaWVA2MQMwgfKAIwAg
Aside from that I haven't learned much else from experience yet, These threads are great reading though for those of us crazy enough to try converting these kits...:D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861

ttom

Foam Addict,

Brilliant link, many thanks. Cutting new formers is the way forward. Have a selection of different grades of balsa + some basswood around and have scanned parts section of plans (a4 scanner so reconstructed on pc - turned out ok). Gonna cut some testers and do a weight comparison. Then it will be maths and WebOcalc to see viability. Will start build thread when build begins in next few weeks.

Cutting new airfoil to Clark-y is also now part of plan. I will cut an entirely new kit from superior woods and combine bass with balsa as I have done before. I have found basswood stringers, leading edge etc makes a tougher plane.

Love that #403 kit, I have looked at it a few times - Tesco sell it now!

I made and killed a Comet Spitfire based self design last year. I have found plans but they are on 2d design and I cannot export files in a useful format for other graphics software (if anyone knows how to export a useful file format from Techsoft 2d - I would be glad to post plans with do not build warning). I ended up over designing and had formers in one piece not two halves, the side stringers were removed and a lightened panel used instead. I constructed it based on the top and bottom ribs. It came out very true and was an easy construction process. Oh yes tail built separately and added to fuselage later in build. The wing formers also match original spit shape curved underside. A combination of lack of piloting skill and lack of build experience killed that plane fast - it flew, briefly, like drunken squirrel but it was fun!!! That was when I found foamy building and could build, fly and crash all in one day. Now that crashing is a lot less I can build balsa again.

ttom

Foam Addict, I have just thought if I am doing a total re-cut of kit I could re-scale it too. :D

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Those all seem like great ideas!

On that note, I actually have a 200% guillows P-40 fuselage in my attic back home, I might have to try a 150% spitfire when I finish the little one... :D