Gyro on a Plane

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah I would agree with flyrcgabe.

I can understand the reason that gyros stabilise for good videoing but other then that I don´t really see a point in putting even more electronics on, which a) will add weight and b) be a further electronic compound which increases the risk of one of the electronics to break...

I don´t know how others see it but that is the way I do ^^ I tried not to offend anyone with that :D If anyone can come up with better reasons for gyros then shot at me :D

PaulT

Mentor
At 27 grams it does add some weight and it IS another electronic device that could fail but...I feel it is worth the risk and weight
to steady my plane when most often than not, wind conditions are gusty and unpredictable. In my part of the world it is rare day
that we have dead calm and/or a steady breeze.
That and it is just plain (plane) fun to experiment!! Especially for the price that HK sells them for.

PaulT

Mentor
At my age I need some help with my senses. Not happy with that but I earned the bad eyesight and slower reflex's and am willing
to accept the technology. :):p

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
At my age I need some help with my senses. Not happy with that but I earned the bad eyesight and slower reflex's and am willing
to accept the technology. :):p

Haha ;D

I agree in the part that in the windy conditions to use a gyro but for someone like me nearly just flying in dead calm I think I don´t need one :D

I mean but it at least nice to have experience how much difference there is between a partly gyro stabilised plane and a normal one.

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
Does anyone have a HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F15318%5F%5FHobbyKing%5FGA%5F250%5FMINI%5FMEMS%5FGyro%5F.html I was reading the reviews it and seems to be Great for helis. but was wondering if it could be used for a Fixed Wing aircraft. I read on the HK reviews that a lot of guys are replacing their 401B for this gyro, so that's why i was considering to try out the HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro(Plus its $2 cheaper than a 401B :) ). I never used gyros before and wanted to try some out on my RcPowers F-22 v2.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
It is a taillock gyro, i think it is for the tail rotor for a heli and will stop the heli from going around in circles cos of the main rotor (I am just assuming, nevr dealt with gyros be4) and you COULD perhaps use it on an aircrafts rudder but it would not have ports for AIL ELE etc. only RUD

PaulT

Mentor
I have the 401B, but have yet to actually flight test it. Seems to work as it should, but I am still waiting for a weather window to actually use it.
There is a mod/improvement on the net to the 401B that should be done to make it more reliable (fill it with hotglue) that insures reliability. Let us know how the GF-250 works if you get one.

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
I have the 401B, but have yet to actually flight test it. Seems to work as it should, but I am still waiting for a weather window to actually use it.
There is a mod/improvement on the net to the 401B that should be done to make it more reliable (fill it with hotglue) that insures reliability. Let us know how the GF-250 works if you get one.
On my next HobbyKing order I will Prob get a Few 401B's(since I know I can be used on a plane) and order one GF-250 to test it on a Plane as well, All else fails ill have one good Heli Gyro for my future heli build.

On my next HobbyKing order I will Prob get a Few 401B's(since I know I can be used on a plane) and order one GF-250 to test it on a Plane as well, All else fails ill have one good Heli Gyro for my future heli build.

Make sure you have a radio that can adjust gain on a gyro when you are in airplane mode. I wasn't able to make it work with the DX6i.

oagh

Well Hi , This is my 1st post ,and I too have a gyro on rudder of my super cub lp, It was just for fun at 1st but man its nice, in wind it flys Nice.I too was looking to make my cub smoth for fpv fun .
The tail hold most Exllent.
Its a GY48V headklock gyro
$12.95
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dy-1017.html

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have 3 of those GY48V's. Picked them up on sale for $9 ea at xheli.com just before Christmas. Lately I have been wondering how a KK+ Board flashed for plane would work instead of 3 separate gyro's.

Thurmond

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM

I knew it can be done as that page is why I wondered. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with it on a plane. The guys over at RC Powers forums say that the KK is a very poor controller at best and the same is said by Bruce of RCModelReviews (because it has no accelerometer just gyro's) but dadde87 (David W, RCExplorer) seems to like them for his Tri-Copter builds and his mini-quad although he now seems to favor the Hobby King one vs the one from Multi RCShop.

Thurmond

oagh

@ Tritium , Your are Right, The Gy48v is on sale for $9 ea at xheli.com.
I would / do not nothing about a KK+ Board , But I will read on .....