Thumbs down, flight controllers, and club memberships

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I remember my first success flying in high winds! I had the version of the FT Bloody Wonder that the original Bloody Wonder was modelled after. It had two sheets of flat foam as the fuselage instead of the box design, and a KF airfoil. It cut through the wind like a knife. I was flying it at a little park near the ocean, and the wind was ripping. I remember laughing out loud at how much fun it was to slice through the air in wind that would knock any other plane I had right into the ground.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
... and I hope they start working towards forming FTCA flying sites....

They are indeed.

... It's not a matter of "replacing" the AMA as much as creating alternatives. ... an awful lot of hobbyists that may want an option other than the AMA.

THIS. Josh told me point-blank - and I believe he would repeat it here even though many other aspects have not been announced - that the FTCA is NOT setting out to replace or even "compete" with the AMA, although the AMA might not see it that way. The hope of the FTCA is to coexist with the AMA, covering areas they don't really serve and even partnering on things where possible.

The FTCA "org tree" will also look very different from the AMA, or probably any other traditional non-profit. They are working on 'organic' ways of identifying and even rewarding FTCA members for actively participating in and creating community-connections within the hobby. By promoting community connections they hope to encourage and replicate positive and uplifting behavior within the membership.

I'm not being vague or cagey because I'm hiding anything, for as much as I've just said I really don't know a whole lot! :p A lot of the details are still being worked. Josh talked a lot about FTCA at Wings Over Edgewater, and Lee (FTCA director) is an awesome guy. He's a pastor and a retired US Marine - I would NOT want to see the AMA get 'upitty' with him.

"Bringing Hope to the Hobby" is the FTCA's motto and "Fellowship, Fun, Flying" are their guiding principle "Three F's" (but don't quote me on that) :p

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I agree, the requirements of clubs to certify you with a buddy box flight is just for clubs, and it seems dude was trying to tell you you needed that for parkflying which is ridiculous. If theres any questions to legalities here please find FAR Part 107, it will lay out most of if not all of your rules to operate an unmanned small aircraft. It might also reference FAR Part 91 as well which both parts are available to read online.

So do you understand why clubs do the certifying of flying?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Hey Folks! Just finished my speedbuild Simple Cub and tried to maiden it today...unsuccessfully. Here's how it went:
  1. Learned about ground loops! Pavement walkway wasn't parallel to the wind, so crosswinds while learning to taxi were tough.
  2. Learned about somersaults! Grass was entirely too thick for taxiing, so a few run-up attempts were cut short in the grass.
  3. Learned I don't yet have the reflexes or muscle memory to fly well! After #1&2 I just gunned it with a hint of up-elevator, got it off the ground...and then into almost a full left-wingover into a cartwheel landing. In hindsight, this was dumb because it was kinda cross-wind.
  4. Learned I need more props and airframe reinforcements! Snapped my prop, BBQ skewers holding wing rubber bands elongated their holes, and landing gear starting to get loose in its slot. All fixable, though!
  5. Learned to swallow my excitement and be patient. I could've field-repaired my plane and tried again but decided I should find a field or day with less wind and maybe better taxiing space before using up all 9 lives of my cub.
So, a few questions to make sure I can figure this out:
  1. How much wind is too much wind for a noob trying to maiden and solo at the same time? Looking around, there were some clothing that would flap/show evidence of wind even though it didn't feel like much...
  2. Is there a good simulator for mac computers that I can use with a transmitter? I haven't found one.
  3. When launching as a total noob, is it generally better to try and take off from the ground conventionally, or hand-launch?
  4. Will I have a genuinely easier or harder time with different airframes or airframe sizes (all still within the "trainer" class)? I ask because I went for the Simple Cub instead of the Mighty Mini Trainer, and now I'm wondering if that was a good idea...
Thanks! Super excited for attempt #2!
What I don't understand is how a very upbeat post turned into a complex conversation about polyhedral v dihedral, and then turned into an argument about stabilizers! FT's mission is to get people into the hobby! If they use stabilizers so what? They will likely end up turning them off once they get comfortable, and even if they don't that is their decision. The forum is here to guide people (and guidance I have gotten, let me tell you). Let's keep it that way.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Imagine Flite Test requiring "certification" to fly at Flite Fest. Why don't clubs simply require insurance and a waiver? Hmm...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
To make certain that individual can operate an aircraft in a safe and proper manner.

EXACTLY. And many of those people who are out flying in parks aren't flying safely. They're not showing control, they're just out there flying. I've had several flying areas get shut down around me recently because people weren't flying safely. There was a small park in Mira Mesa, in San Diego - a couple of drone flyers were out flying, crashed their quads, and started a fire in the dry brush. One of them called the fire dept and then took off before the trucks got there. Another was flying a plane out near the flight path of MCAS Miramar, and got too close to an incoming F-35. Base commander got bent out of shape, and now there's MPs out there looking for anyone flying. And a third flying field in Temecula got shut down because a bunch of people who don't know how to fly were out there flying Zagis and Versa Wings, and started hitting parked cars outside of the park area.

This is all from people who thumb their nose at clubs, insurance, waivers, and the rest - they're not flying smart or safe, and they're ruining flying for those of us who do fly safely. But I can tell that's not what you want to hear.

This is all from people who thumb their nose at clubs, insurance, waivers, and the rest - they're not flying smart or safe, and they're ruining flying for those of us who do fly safely. But I can tell that's not what you want to hear.
Oops! My bad. I thumb my nose at clubs, insurance, waivers and the rest. :oops: That must mean I'm not flying smart or safe. I guess I'm ruining flying for the rest of you who do fly safely.

Uh... Sorry for being an inconsiderate and irresponsible fool.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

I haven't been a big fan of clubs, mostly because the ones in the area have either been very unwelcoming, or are on property that has such strict rules that the type of flying I'd want to do wasn't allowed. The field I fly at that's big enough for my larger planes is privately owned and doesn't require a membership. Although if he decided to start charging one, I'd gladly pay.

Unfortunately some of the clubs have used the "safety" thing as a way to exclude people who didn't fly what they liked to fly. Years ago I went to join a club that required you to fly the pattern using a glow plane. What was weird, was they wouldn't let you do it with a small park flyer. It had to be their glow plane. So if you weren't experienced with how to set up, start, and fly a glow engine, you were deemed unsafe. If you weren't comfortable with their radio setup, you were unsafe. You could have been very capable with your foamboard plane, but they said that was "just a toy" and you had to show the ability to fly on a balsa plane. This was at least a decade ago, probably longer, and the attitude still rubs me the wrong way all this time later.

The expense is another turnoff. I fully appreciate the costs of creating, maintaining, and improving a flying site. Club dues are what makes that possible. But you got some guy who doesn't even know if he will like the hobby, and he's getting told he'll need $500 or more worth of equipment to start, plus AMA fees, club dues, and in some cases clubs have an additional upfront fee for new members.
Add into that the cheap, small, easy to fly model planes and drones means you don't need a large maintained flying field. It's easier to see why we've ended up with the better part of 2 million pilots registered with the FAA, and less than 10% of them in a recognized club.

They aren't necessarily thumbing their noses at safety. But when they get driven away from the one opportunity at mentorship, they don't learn the safe way to enjoy the hobby, nor an appreciation as to why they should.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Oops! My bad. I thumb my nose at clubs, insurance, waivers and the rest. :oops: That must mean I'm not flying smart or safe. I guess I'm ruining flying for the rest of you who do fly safely.

Uh... Sorry for being an inconsiderate and irresponsible fool.

Don't take it personal. He's not saying all people who don't want to join clubs are the problem, but the people causing the problems, don't want to join clubs. They clearly haven't been taught how to act safely or responsibly. They likely wouldn't take well to someone trying to teach them.

I may have misread what you meant, and you understood all of what he was saying, and still were making an apology. In which case, carry on.