Had a major DOH! moment today.

earthsciteach

I've been picking away at putting the motor and electronics in my new 800 mm Spitfire kit. The old Spit was looking pretty rough, but still flew well. The Spit has this little plastic cowl that goes on the nose. This cowl makes it a real pain to get to the motor to esc connectors. So, being clever, I decided to glue small, rare Earth magnets on the cowl and nose of the plane. It worked perfectly! Easy access to the motor leads!

Finally got around to installing the motor today. Connected everything, fired up the TX, beep beep beeeeeeep. All good. Then I tested the motor. As soon as I throttled up, sparks flew out of the motor and a little puff of smoke. Instantly, it hit me how stupid I had been. Stupid, stupid stupid.... DOH!

Snoggle

if you want a motor with higher pole count i suggest you replace the motor instead of installing some random poles to the cowl area ;)

earthsciteach

In my defense, obviously my placement of the magnets resulted in greater power input to the motor. Is it my fault that the motor was too weak to handle that input?

Ok, I guess it is my fault... :black_eyed:

Fishbonez

I guarentee you aint the only one to do this. Ask me how I know. I have done some things that are just to stupid to admit on this forumn. A great example of being to tired to think and instead of swapping to wires on the motor I swapped them on the ESC took all day to get rid of that burnt electrical smell out of my house. Needless to say I have to do all my work in the garage

Snoggle

my biggest doh moment so far was when i was trying to fix glue joints on a motormount with some thin CA and was too lazy to unscrew the motor... guess what happend ;)

teflyer

Full Circle
I did the same thing as well!
I spent about an hour trying to unstick the motor shaft. never really worked out. Oops.:)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
You only learn out of your mistakes :D Joke I am not saying you´re stupid and you didn´t know that but for the next time you´ll know what not to do :D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
My friend once just checked that the ailerons moved, he didn't check if they were reversed...

Doh...

"Hey colorex, can you get me a Kinetic prop?" LMAO

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I had just modded my cub and had to put the battery in from the top with the wing removed. I was in a hurry and plugged the right aileron into the wrong port. It went straight down and stayed there and I took off without checking. I managed to fly it sideways will full opposite aileron and lots of rudder and got it back to the ground without crashing. I got a nice round of applause followed by a few hours of ribbing when I found out the dumb*** move I had made. Lesson learned.

I had a Doh moment the other day when I shorted a Lipo while changing the connectors. painful things is it was 30 bucks and not even half a cycle on it. I took care of it properly, but I gotta get another one because it was a smooth charging battery.